Preloader...what to expect for the first couple weeks

PT Car Washer

Good luck. Let us know how things work out. Keep your eyes on the prize (insurance) and you'll do just fine.
Very little money and no benefits for a year. But after that first year the job is almost worth it. Thousands try but only a few make it. Not sure who the smart ones are.

moldsporh

Matty, the thing is most people here have drank the brown Kool aid for quite awhile, if you stay with the company you will understand what we're talking about.

Preload is easier than it used to be with the adaptation of PAS, (preload assist sysyem) there's a sticker on the box that tells you what car and what shelf/location to put it in, used to be we had to memorize load charts and at 200-300 pcs per hour there's no time to look at charts. Now with PAS they believe when you are all caught up, you can be moved to another car to help out with no knowledge of the load for that particular car. Every package car has its own rhythm, you will learn that in time and know what bulk goes where as different days get different surges.

You said preload, you could be loading, unloading, sort aisle, so basically if you're loading then that's where the fun is..... :)

The job really isn't that difficult if you don't mind sweating alot unless you are in a cold state, and can set aside the mental aspect. With a lot of jobs you can slow down a little if needed, not so much here.

I've been doing this for a long time, when we say fit/military/young energetic people come right in and right back out, these are people that take morales high on their priority, and also can't take the constant bombardment of being told your not doing it right, not doing enough, not following proper methods and procedures, etc, etc.

It's when you know you do the right thing, are honest, work your tail off, do everything right, work harder than others, stay caught up, go above and beyond, then get a warning letter or worse, for doing something that others get away with including the managers that dish out the discipline.

Other than that, just stay focused, don't let a cardboard box ruin your day. For the first month, show up to work a few min early everyday, no excuses. Don't call out, when a sup asks for you to help out with another car, just say ok and keep rolling. They like to see who breaks early and once they see that they will push you. Before your first 30 WORKING days are up, they can let you go for just about anything, after that it's much harder for them.

In a friendly way.....Don't go in and tell people that you won't have any problems because you were in landscaping. Landscaping is easy because you can slow down a little if it's hot and take a few extra breaks here and there. You can even go down and talk to your buddy without being accused of stealing time.

You need to be thick skinned also.

***********IMPORTANT***************

Also, you will likely be offered a management position within the first few weeks if you work really hard. They will tell you it's the best thing in the world. I can't stress this enough that you need to resist that temptation. With ups, if they want you in mgmt, you can go in whenever YOU want. That's something you can decide down the road but not in the first month. There's numerous topics on that and no way on earth would I go into mgmt.

Don't drink sodas and iced tea when working, trust me.

Sorry to get long winded, it's not that hard if you're mentally strong... the physical aspect of the job is difficult so that's not a lie.

The mental part is the mind#&@$ that goes in conjunction with the physical part and compounds the situation......it's a force multiplier.

Welcome to the club.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Alright guys fair enough it's all I'm good fun anyways. Today wasn't terrible but I can already tell I'm gonna have issues with he sup, he's sort of a toolbag

Hubzilla

This has been a fun read lol. I've been at UPS for about 4 years on night side, going to preload in a couple weeks. Can someone give me an idea of what I'll be doing on that shift? I have no idea what it entails besides loading PCars.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
This has been a fun read lol. I've been at UPS for about 4 years on night side, going to preload in a couple weeks. Can someone give me an idea of what I'll be doing on that shift? I have no idea what it entails besides loading PCars.

Yeah my apologies to everyone, I got a bit carried away last night. Cold meds don't sit right with me