Preloader with no work due to weather. Can I bump someone on local sort?

NC_Rider

Hey guys I'm a preloader in NC. My center hasn't had any volume come in since Wednesday due to snow so I didn't work Thurday or today (Fri). However, I heard that our local sort will be working tonight. I'm wondering if I'm able to bump someone with less seniority on the local sort based on Article 63 Section 7 - Reduction in Work Force which reads:

-"After a one (1) day layoff, part-time employees who are removed from their jobs as a result of a reduction in the work force may elect to displace the most junior part-time employees in the building if qualified"

I am qualified as I worked local sort for a year prior to switching to preload and usually work local sort a couple days a week also when people call in. I have been laid off from preload two days so far this year although both of those days I was called in and worked local sort. I'm unsure whether those two days counted as layoff days. Does it mean layoff from just my shift or an entire day layoff? Since there hasn't been any preload work the past two days due to weather, am I able to bump someone with less seniority on local sort tonight?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your responses

UPSGUY72

Did they tell you your where laid off or did they just tell you don't have to come in today or we don't need your today ??? I would bet they didn't tell you you were laid off.

There is a difference between being told your laid off and being told your not needed today...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Did they tell you your where laid off or did they just tell you don't have to come in today or we don't need your today ??? I would bet they didn't tell you you were laid off.

There is a difference between being told your laid off and being told your not needed today...
That's what I was thinking. If my sup left me a message that they didn't need me for a day....I'd show up to work anyway and pretend I never received the message.

UPSGUY72

That's what I was thinking. If my sup left me a message that they didn't need me for a day....I'd show up to work anyway and pretend I never received the message.

Bingo. Your either working or laid off. It's not your not needed today so you don't need to come in and they need to give you advance notice... For a lay off and change of start time.. That time frame might be different depending on where you work...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Bingo. Your either working or laid off. It's not your not needed today so you don't need to come in and they need to give you advance notice... For a lay off and change of start time.. That time frame might be different depending on where you work...
Exactly...I'd show up and demand my 3.5 hours.