Preloaders have to skip break if stacked out.

Today we were told if we were stacked out when break was called we would have to work through it. They said we can then take our break after the sort is complete. Kind of defeats the purpose of a break. Also if we go to the restroom throughout the day that would count against our break.

1) Working through break: Union grievance.

2) Bathroom counting as break time : DOL complaint.

Kis124

we don't get breaks in my hub..not even during peak. the full timers do, but only the hour lunch. We have a lot of smokers who go crazy after 4 or 5 hours

NI3

What would management write back if you were to repeat back what you were told by email and ask them for a response clarifying that you understood it correctly?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Break time is supposed to be uninterrupted. So if they want you to count it against your break, take your full break the first time you need to use the restroom. Hydrating properly you should be using drinking at least a quart or more of water per hour, and that will cause you to have to vacate at least every hour. Now they can eat that time when you need the restroom the rest of the shift. Call OSHA (the nearest Federal office not the State) if the problem persists, they love this stuff.

Macbrother

You're out of your mind; and I'm a supervisor - seriously, grow a pair and take your break. And, use the bathroom. Trust me when I say: they can't fire you for those human rights.

Not really a matter of having a pair. Simply wasn't aware preloaders get breaks. I've had jobs before where you aren't entitled to a break unless you work a certain amount of time so not having one here wasn't so out of the question. And I do, thank you for your concern.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Today we were told if we were stacked out when break was called we would have to work through it. They said we can then take our break after the sort is complete. Kind of defeats the purpose of a break. Also if we go to the restroom throughout the day that would count against our break.

You work under a contract, and that contract specifies you take a break between 2nd and 3rd hour. (possible a contract supplement varies a bit, but has similar language).

Take your breaks, imo.

Around here, we grieve anyone working through their breaks- and take the money UPS stole by having people work through them.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

qm.gif
frabz-One-does-not-simply-skip-their-break-time-6fed00.jpg
qm.gif
frabz-One-does-not-simply-skip-their-break-time-6fed00.jpg

DownSouthUPS

you take breaks in preload?

i can't ever remember anyone wanting to take their break vs. just finishing as quick as possible to get out of there

I'm there to make money. I'm not there to work as fast as possible. They will give me my break every single day. Stacked out or not!!

CAFAL

How about just loading your trucks then you wouldn't have to worry. With pas you guys have it much easier. We used to have to memorize charts and routes. No sympathy here sorry

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
your avatar should be the picture of a **** **** like you are your not happy with this reply file on it then choke on it

lol chill out dude

in 2.5 years in preload, i never met a SINGLE person who wanted to take their break, nor did i ever want it as a preloader

10min of break vs. playing catch up the rest of the morning? no thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Are you people out of your minds !!!!! For every 6 preloaders NOT taking the break,,YOU are giving one of the richest companyis in the WORLD ONE free hour of labor a night !!!
The EVIL EMPIRE has plenty of money and they don't care about you one bit !!
Take your God Dam breaks that our past brothers fought hard to get us in previous contracts years ago !!

I can't believe the foolishness of some people !!

Macbrother

Quit stacking and shut off the belt.

Spoken like a true supervisor.

How about just loading your trucks then you wouldn't have to worry. With pas you guys have it much easier. We used to have to memorize charts and routes. No sympathy here sorry

How exactly are PAL labels going to help when I got 1 of 20 40 lb boxes for the local hospital coming down the belt with virtually zero spaces in between them? Oh and guess what -- that's only one truck. I got 4 others with their own various boxes and bulk stops whizzing by. Frankly if you haven't loaded in the past 5 years you should keep your mouth shut when it comes to preload. In our center the job they used to do with 18 loaders they now do with 12. Sorters who used to load 2 and 3 trucks now load 4. Loaders at the back that had 4 now have 5 and in some cases 6 trucks. I don't mind the hard work and I don't want your sympathy but I'm not going to be denigrated either. Drivers aren't the only one that they've made crazy demands of, tough guy.

JonFrum

Of course everyone should take their break. And go to the bathroom whenever necessary.

But sometimes things are more complicated than you think.

Show me in the New England Supplement where it says a part-timer is entitled to a break.

Show me in The Law where a part-timer working, say, four hours plus or minus, is entitled to a break.

Maybe there's a "Past Practice" of taking a break, but that's not as secure as actual legal or Union Contract language.

There's also the complication that typically part-timers don't control the conveyor belt system. If you leave your workstation for a break on your own authority, you may be seen as abandoning your job, or failing to work as instructed. Especially if the packages keep flowing in your absence. Either you will be burried when you return, or the workers downstream will be in your absence.

The Union should step in and insure the belts are stopped so a break can be taken without appearing to be insubordinate.