Presidential Pardons

over9five

Staff member
I just do not see the use in pardoning any of these people. It is all ancient history, and insignificant to begin with.Was he bored?

Nimnim

The Nim
My "insert link" button doesn't seem to work....

I'm thinking Cheryl is working on some things, site's been weird for a little bit, rep icons not working is really throwing off the look of the page for me.

Anyways, on thread, I'm thinking boredom, they really were pretty insignificant cases.

moreluck

golden ticket member
With all the heartache in the country.....our prez. is bored?? To quote a line from South Pacific..."Now ain't that too damn bad!"

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've never liked the idea of executive pardons, and that includes state governors as well as the president. I do see the utility in having a system whereby pardons can be granted in certain cases, but the pardoners should be a panel of independent judges rather than politicians.

bbsam

Staff member
LOL!! Jones said "independent judges"! Woohoo that's a rich one. Not nearly as rich as a paid off judge though!:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A pardon, whether presidential or governorial, may not seem like a big deal to you but I am sure it is to the person involved. Having a felony conviction on your record severely limits your employment opportunities (unless you are an athlete). You are unable to hold public office, let alone vote. There are many other restrictions associated with a felony conviction. Many times a pardon simply provides closure, especially when the pardon is posthumously granted.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've never liked the idea of executive pardons, and that includes state governors as well as the president. I do see the utility in having a system whereby pardons can be granted in certain cases, but the pardoners should be a panel of independent judges rather than politicians.

Doubt that will be much better - "None of us are as dumb as all of us"

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I find it interesting that he who promised change pardons the same type of people that former pres. clinton did.