Press Conference on Friday morn

bluehdmc

Sure this guy isn't a feeder driver? This rumor belongs in the same list as "UPS is buying FEDEX ground."
I was told once by a management person, that if UPS could they would by a railroad by anti trust regulations would prevent it.

tieguy

Banned
Sure this guy isn't a feeder driver? This rumor belongs in the same list as "UPS is buying FEDEX ground."
I was told once by a management person, that if UPS could they would by a railroad by anti trust regulations would prevent it.

I could be wrong but I don't see how its any different then buying a frieght company. Question would be can we keep the railroad we buy profitable when most of the loads moved are ours.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Why would there be anti trust problems if UPS bought a railroad? Union Pacific owned Overnight, Norfolk Southern owned North American. CSX owns a barge Line. NS owns Triple Crown, and I pass their trucks every night. If UPS was going to buy a railroad- I wouldn't buy CSX. CSX has too many problems with the Childrens fund of Great Britain.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea what UPS would do with a railroad.......part of a sixty trailer "set".
IMG_1358.jpg

Why would there be anti trust problems if UPS bought a railroad?

Because they are two transports. If UPS wanted to start their own raiload it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Union Pacific owned Overnight, Norfolk Southern owned North American. CSX owns a barge Line. NS owns Triple Crown, and I pass their trucks every night. If UPS was going to buy a railroad- I wouldn't buy CSX.

CSX has the lowest market cap of those three and many lines in the east.

CSX has too many problems with the Childrens fund of Great Britain.

Although the govt. probably wouldn't have a problem with UPS buying YRC for pocket change. Just to sure up their $2 billion pension obligation. Lookout central states participants, UPS' buyout probably saved the company from heading down the GM path.

slantnosechevy

The main reason UPS put more freight on trucks and less on rail a few years ago is because the railroads wouldn't jump when UPS told them to. Railroads gave them fits at CACH Hub in Chicago. Buying CSX would eleminate that problem but would mean a lot less feeder jobs in time. Ups is CSX's largest customer. UPS also has a high theft problem on rail. UPS has an overhead cable system for the trailers that LP says works but haven't implemented it on all trailers yet. I met a LP guy from CSX who told me most of UPS thefts are inside jobs.