Prez's Prize

ups1990

With all due respect, the man deserves the Nobel prize. I've heard that since he attended a college football game, Obama will be presented with the Heisman trophy.

P

pickup

What? no comments . He physically accepted the award this morning. No comments about his speech, his handshake, or his wife?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
WHITE HOUSE NOTEBOOK: Short stay miffs Norwegians
By MATTI HUUHTANEN (AP) – 7 hours ago
OSLO — President Barack Obama's decision to break with tradition and not follow the lead of past Nobel Peace Prize winners bewildered some Norwegians. Others thought he was being impolite.
Obama had quite a whirlwind day Thursday — he signed the Nobel guest book, huddled with Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, met with King Harald V and Queen Sonja, and delivered an acceptance speech after he was formally presented with the prize. He also joined the king and queen at an evening banquet.
But he skipped several other activities, including lunch with the king, a news conference at Oslo's Grand Hotel, CNN's traditional interview with the prize winner and a "Save the Children" benefit concert, where organizers replaced him with an Obama cardboard cutout. Obama also won't be around for Friday's Nobel Concert.
In a survey published Wednesday in Norwegian VG daily, 53 percent of respondents said Obama's decision not to attend the Nobel Concert was "impolite," and 48 percent said the same of his decision to skip the CNN interview and the news conference. Forty-four percent disapproved of his decision to pass up lunch with the king.
The survey was conducted Dec. 8 by InFact. It involved telephone interviews with 1,000 people and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.
Siv Jensen, leader of the right-wing opposition Progress Party, told VG she thought Obama should "show some respect for the monarchy."

over9five

Staff member
"....... where organizers replaced him with an Obama cardboard cutout".

I'm thinking the cardboard cutout AND his teleprompter, there'd be no need to send Obama anywhere. Think of all the money we'd save on security, Air Force One, etc. The saved money could go towards the Obama Deficit!

wkmac

Conservative praise for Nobel speech

President Barack Obama’s Nobel Peace Prize speech Thursday is drawing praise from some unlikely quarters – conservative Republicans – who likened Obama’s defense of “just wars” to the worldview of his predecessor, Republican George W. Bush.

The remarks drew immediate praise from a host of conservatives, including former GOP House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.
“I liked what he said," Palin told USA Today. "Of course, war is the last thing I believe any American wants to engage in, but it's necessary. We have to stop these terrorists."
Gingrich told The Takeaway, a national morning drive show from WNYC and Public Radio International, “He clearly understood that he had been given the prize prematurely, but he used it as an occasion to remind people, first of all, as he said: that there is evil in the world."
“I think having a liberal president who goes to Oslo on behalf of a peace prize and reminds the committee that they would not be free, they wouldn't be able to have a peace prize, without having [the ability to use] force,” Gingrich said. “I thought in some ways it's a very historic speech.”

“The irony is that George W. Bush could have delivered the very same speech. It was a truly an American president's message to the world,” said Bradley A. Blakeman, a Republican strategist and CEO of Kent Strategies LLC who worked in the Bush White House.

“Wow. what a shift of emphasis,” said Robert Kagan of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, a former policy advisor to McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign. Kagan said. “I don't know what to say about an ‘Obama doctrine,’ because based on this speech, I think we are witnessing a substantial shift, back in the direction of a more muscular moralism, ala, Truman, Reagan.”

wkmac

Illusion

nobel.jpg

Reality

Poor kid! The President got an award, a check and tons of accolades so I figure this kid deserves at least a T-Shirt. Here you go kid!

diesel96

Most have their opinion, I have mine. I’ll take Obama over what came before any day of the week. An across-the-board disaster that Obama has to waste valuable capital undoing and making up for. The fundamental character & way of life of the US was abruptly changed, but at the same time it can be influenced by its leadership... some agree with the former admin, most with the current. If you cling to anger over Obama as some sort of ideological life raft, make your claim w/o envoking birth certs, college records, teleprompters, bowing or any other ridiculus conspiracy theory. The fact is, the world came to loathe and reject Bush because he seemed to so completely turn his back on American values in the name of corporate giveaways and murderous neocon fantasy... Obama represents a return in unlike Bush fashion - though whether he can actually deliver is a question. Escalation in Afgh is a similarity problem for me with the Bush Adm, however, in un-Bush-like manner, a controversial time table was set, the Generals seemed pleased at the new strategy, and it's not like he broke a campaign promise. He did say he was going to ease out of Iraq and turn up the heat in Afgh. This unending and knee-jerk hostility towards Obama paints the opposition's party, of a dead and discredited ideology, as well as another of those Tea-Parties of negativity the right seems to brew so well with mis-information....Wkmac, seems to bring the strongest arguement in molding Bush and Obama, as one of the same, in his own (Ron Jeremy--Conrad Dobler) unique way, and IMO, a l'il over the top. That's the only thing Dick Cheney and myself would agree on, "That Obama fellow is no George Bush!"....

tieguy

Banned
Most have their opinion, I have mine. I’ll take Obama over what came before any day of the week. An across-the-board disaster that Obama has to waste valuable capital undoing and making up for. The fundamental character & way of life of the US was abruptly changed, but at the same time it can be influenced by its leadership... some agree with the former admin, most with the current. If you cling to anger over Obama as some sort of ideological life raft, make your claim w/o envoking birth certs, college records, teleprompters, bowing or any other ridiculus conspiracy theory. The fact is, the world came to loathe and reject Bush because he seemed to so completely turn his back on American values in the name of corporate giveaways and murderous neocon fantasy... Obama represents a return in unlike Bush fashion - though whether he can actually deliver is a question. Escalation in Afgh is a similarity problem for me with the Bush Adm, however, in un-Bush-like manner, a controversial time table was set, the Generals seemed pleased at the new strategy, and it's not like he broke a campaign promise. He did say he was going to ease out of Iraq and turn up the heat in Afgh. This unending and knee-jerk hostility towards Obama paints the opposition's party, of a dead and discredited ideology, as well as another of those Tea-Parties of negativity the right seems to brew so well with mis-information....Wkmac, seems to bring the strongest arguement in molding Bush and Obama, as one of the same, in his own (Ron Jeremy--Conrad Dobler) unique way, and IMO, a l'il over the top. That's the only thing Dick Cheney and myself would agree on, "That Obama fellow is no George Bush!"....

Dude you had to be drunk when you typed this?

wkmac

Obama quietly authorises expansion of war in Pakistan

President Barack Obama has quietly authorised an expansion of war against terrorism in Pakistan under which CIA would widen its campaign of strikes against militants by unmanned drones.

The expanded operations by the CIA could include drone strikes in the southern province of Baluchistan, where senior Afghan Taliban leaders are believed to be hiding, New York Times reported today quoting officials.

CIA has submitted its plan to widen its campaign in Pakistan to the White House and has asked for commitment to jack up the agency's budget for operations inside the country.
CIA also wants to send more spies into the terrorist infested areas in Pakistan's tribal belt to try to infiltrate into groups like Taliban and other foreign militant groups.

But the Times said, Obama Administration was aware that any expansion of overt American presence in Pakistan could fuel anti-Americanism in a country that fears that US is plotting to run its government and seize its nuclear weapons.
So, the paper said Obama officials were working to get a weak, divided and suspicious Pakistani government to agree to the terms.

New York Times quoting US officials said that authorising drone strikes in Baluchistan was also planned as Americans believe that it is from there that top Taliban leaders direct many of the attacks on their troops in Afghanistan and that these are likely to increase as more US troops pour into the country.

So Baluchistan is where the bad guys are. Something about Baluchistan rings a bell...Hmmm...let me see....OH Yeah, oil pipeline routes!

Here's Baluchistan highlighted in red

baluchistan-map.jpg

Here's Pakistan Oil Pipeline Routes Bigger map

And look closer yet at this map. Look at sea access in Pakistan in relationship to Iran? Perfect entry point for military movement without being exposed to the Iranian coastline. How interesting! And let's not forget where CIA cuts it's teeth on Middle East meddling!

But back to Pakistan and oil pipeline routes, is Obama now channeling Cheney? Afghanistan was always CIA turf and even the post 9/11 early invasion was CIA via Special Activities Division along with help from USSOCOM and 5th Special Forces. I've always felt that CIA and other interests left holes in the wire so certain elements could find the means to be around for purpose on another day.

The history of CIA and this part of the world has always been nefarious IMO and now to watch Obama expand the CIA war in Pakistan while using standard military forces to hold CIA roadwork in Afghanistan raises some serious questions about our President or at the very least raises questions about those who surround him. I'm still not convinced that Emmanuel is not Hillary's political "backdoor man" getting her ready to pull a 1980' Ted Kennedy on Obama man!

Farfetched? Remember, we're talking the imfamous Clinton machine here!

wkmac

The strange consensus on Obama's Nobel address

The more I hear "The State" speak of threats, I look at Osama bin Laden, Taliban and Al Qaeda as having a very familar feel to it. The Oslo speech in many respects was true Newspeak in that War is Peace!

Was Orwell's fiction just that or was Orwell more a visionary and understanding global direction than we realize? Even the great Oracle of our modern state speak directly to the great players of Orwell's "ficitonal" world.

Pure Fiction or potential policy direction of fact?

The Three Superstates

wkmac

Hmmmm That's interesting!

Actually this was the pic I posted where it sez Paul for President.

Orwell's 3 SuperStates

You know considering Orwell wrote his work in 1948' his "disputed" area on the above map proves most interesting from our early 21st century perspective.