Prime Minister's gifts

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama the idiot !! He receives very valuable gifts from UK and the idiot gives P.M. Brown some CD's.......AND CD's that can't be played in the UK because they are made differently.

Brown gave O part of a slave ship.....some meaningful trinket.

Hussein also gave back the bust of Churchill that was given to US after 9-11. Obama is a skinny Chas. Barkley/Dennis Rodman combo !!:sick: Jerk !!

outamyway

He's burnt out already. His decision making was already irrational. Now he's running on fumes. Wait until he has to make quick hasty national security decisions.

And what the hell was with Hillary's Staples button? She can't even try to get the wording right?

"There's nothing special about Britain. You're just the same as the other 190 countries in the world. You shouldn't expect special treatment."

Obama didn't say it, but this is the kind of thinking he's surrounded by.

Barack Obama 'too tired' to give proper welcome to Gordon Brown

By Tim Shipman in Washington
Last Updated: 10:03PM GMT 07 Mar 2009

barack_gordon_1361953c.jpg
President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown walk down the Colonnade of the White House in Washington, Photo: AP

Sources close to the White House say Mr Obama and his staff have been "overwhelmed" by the economic meltdown and have voiced concerns that the new president is not getting enough rest.

British officials, meanwhile, admit that the White House and US State Department staff were utterly bemused by complaints that the Prime Minister should have been granted full-blown press conference and a formal dinner, as has been customary. They concede that Obama aides seemed unfamiliar with the expectations that surround a major visit by a British prime minister.

But Washington figures with access to Mr Obama's inner circle explained the slight by saying that those high up in the administration have had little time to deal with international matters, let alone the diplomatic niceties of the special relationship.
Allies of Mr Obama say his weary appearance in the Oval Office with Mr Brown illustrates the strain he is now under, and the president's surprise at the sheer volume of business that crosses his desk.

A well-connected Washington figure, who is close to members of Mr Obama's inner circle, expressed concern that Mr Obama had failed so far to "even fake an interest in foreign policy".

A British official conceded that the furore surrounding the apparent snub to Mr Brown had come as a shock to the White House. "I think it's right to say that their focus is elsewhere, on domestic affairs. A number of our US interlocutors said they couldn't quite understand the British concerns and didn't get what that was all about."
The American source said: "Obama is overwhelmed. There is a zero sum tension between his ability to attend to the economic issues and his ability to be a proactive sculptor of the national security agenda.

"That was the gamble these guys made at the front end of this presidency and I think they're finding it a hard thing to do everything."

British diplomats insist the visit was a success, with officials getting the chance to develop closer links with Mr Obama's aides. They point out that the president has agreed to meet the prime minister for further one-to-one talks in London later this month, ahead of the G20 summit on April 2.

But they concede that the mood music of the event was at times strained. Mr Brown handed over carefully selected gifts, including a pen holder made from the wood of a warship that helped stamp out the slave trade - a sister ship of the vessel from which timbers were taken to build Mr Obama's Oval Office desk. Mr Obama's gift in return, a collection of Hollywood film DVDs that could have been bought from any high street store, looked like the kind of thing the White House might hand out to the visiting head of a minor African state.

Mr Obama rang Mr Brown as he flew home, in what many suspected was an attempt to make amends.

The real views of many in Obama administration were laid bare by a State Department official involved in planning the Brown visit, who reacted with fury when questioned by The Sunday Telegraph about why the event was so low-key.
The official dismissed any notion of the special relationship, saying: "There's nothing special about Britain. You're just the same as the other 190 countries in the world. You shouldn't expect special treatment." The apparent lack of attention to detail by the Obama administration is indicative of what many believe to be Mr Obama's determination to do too much too quickly.

In addition to passing the largest stimulus package and the largest budget in US history, Mr Obama is battling a plummeting stock market, the possible bankruptcy of General Motors, and rising unemployment. He has also begun historic efforts to achieve universal healthcare, overhaul education and begin a green energy revolution all in his first 50 days in office.

The Sunday Telegraph understands that one of Mr Obama's most prominent African American backers, whose endorsement he spent two years cultivating, has told friends that he detects a weakness in Mr Obama's character.
"The one real serious flaw I see in Barack Obama is that he thinks he can manage all this," the well-known figure told a Washington official, who spoke to this newspaper. "He's underestimating the flood of things that will hit his desk." A Democratic strategist, who is friends with several senior White House aides, revealed that the president has regularly appeared worn out and drawn during evening work sessions with senior staff in the West Wing and has been forced to make decisions more quickly than he is comfortable.

He said that on several occasions the president has had to hurry back from eating dinner with his family in the residence and then tucking his daughters in to bed, to conduct urgent government business. Matters are not helped by the pledge to give up smoking.

"People say he looks tired more often than they're used to," the strategist said. "He's still calm, but there have been flashes of irritation when he thinks he's being pushed to make a decision sooner than he wants to make it. He looks like he needs a cigarette."

Mr Obama was teased by the New York Times on Thursday in a front page story which claimed to have detected a greater prevalence of grey hairs since he entered the White House.

The Democratic strategist stressed that Mr Obama's plight was nothing new. "He knew it was going to be tough; he said as much throughout the campaign. But there's a difference between knowing it is going to be tough and facing the sheer relentless pressure of it all."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...d-to-give-proper-welcome-to-Gordon-Brown.html

Sammie

Obama will be granted a private audience with Queen Elizabeth when he's in London next month.

Hope she likes Blockbuster gift certificates for DVD's!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
How can he be too tired ?
He shows up for work 2 hours later than Bush did ?
Listen if he needs a good gift, I'll be willing to let him have a DVD set of an old British scifi series, I can't play it here ( out of zone ).

chev

Nightcrawler
It's so clever, using his middle name.

I wish I could be cool, too.
So friggin what. Everyone calls Bush Dubbya.
Lighten up Francis and get over it.

sheep
:bow::bow::bow:Hussein
Seems funny that Oblunder is not too tired to have his big shindigs at the whitehouse but when it comes to hospitality towards England he is soooo exhausted. What an embarrassment. CD's indeed!

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hubby said he wrote to the British and apologized for the stupid gifts our president gave to Brown. No, I didn't ask where he sent the note to.:peaceful:

diesel96

There was a time during the Bush years when the debate turned to

America's status in the world was diminishing, and most right wingers

were like "Who Cares what other countries think of us", "Were #1" :foamfinger: "were #1" :foamfinger: "USA" "USA" "USA".......rah...rah...rah...blah...blah....blah.

Now, since Obama (our first black President with the terrorist middle name) :2scared: , there's been a change of heart :pet: with sensitive feelings from other countries. Seems like we gave Great Britain's PM a lesser

valued gift and the president was tired.

Oooooh... poor right wing babies.....are your

wittle feelings hurt ?

Sammie

:bow::bow::bow:Hussein
Seems funny that Oblunder is not too tired to have his big shindigs at the whitehouse but when it comes to hospitality towards England he is soooo exhausted. What an embarrassment. CD's indeed!

Diesel wants us to play nice, Chev. After all, this was O.'s first symbolic Presidential gift exchange, (and he has been speaking out against frivolous spending) and the first European leader to visit him, so he regifts an unopened Christmas present (who hasn't?) after receiving a pen holder fashioned from an oak timber of the famous HMS Gannet, a rare, framed commissioning paper from the HMS Resolute (whose wood was used to build the desk in the Oval Office, which was a gift from Queen Victoria) and a first edition of Martin Gilbert's seven-volume biography of Winston Churchill.

(Just be glad it wasn't Clinton handing out the movies...) :hello,soldier:

And yes, O's girls received children's books and fancy party dresses with matching necklaces while Michelle ran down to the White House gift shop and snagged two plastic models of Marine One for Prime Minister Brown's young sons. I hope she slipped in some Orville Redenbacher with the DVD cases.

tieguy

Banned

were like "Who Cares what other countries think of us", "Were #1" :foamfinger: "were #1" :foamfinger: "USA" "USA" "USA".......rah...rah...rah...blah...blah....blah.

Now, since Obama (our first black President with the terrorist middle name) :2scared: , there's been a change of heart :pet: with sensitive feelings from other countries. Seems like we gave Great Britain's PM a lesser

wittle feelings hurt ?

I think ring wingers have always been strong supporters of those who have been strong supporters of us.

This is more then a sensitivity issue for ring wingers. It was Obamas first opportunity to show he belongs on the world stage as an equal to other leaders. I assume he will get better at it but he fumbled the ball this time.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Everyone please list what other gifts you think he should present in the future.
name of country.......gift given

Don't anyone be shy , now.

chev

Nightcrawler

wittle feelings hurt ?

:rolleyes2:No wonder the Dem. mascot is a jackass.
Awww poor wittle left wing, tree hugging, illegal immigrant lovin, tax and spend liberal seems to have HIS feewings hurt.
Have you hugged a Frenchman today?
Oh my! Was I too harsh? Maybe I should try to pacify you a little. Nahhh. Wouldn't want to seem too much like a whimpy lefty.

The whole point was that there was NO thought put into what he gave the PM. It is embarrassing that ANY president would basically insult any foreign dignitary that way. I don't give a crap what color he is. You seem to have a hang up with his color while I don't hear the righties EVER bring it up. Give up the race card, ya Al Sharpton wanna be.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Maybe shovels for the Mexican delegation. Their people go thru a lot of them digging tunnels to get into our country.