Prison break shatters peace in upstate New York towns By Ray Sanchez, CNN Updated 9:40 PM ET, Tue Ju

Babagounj

Strength through joy
See Post # 11104 in the Guns thread .
NY State Police's status report about number of owners who have complied with registering as required by law .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
New York State Police Sgt. Jay Cook
came across Sweat, both alone around 3:20 p.m. Sunday on a road Cook was patrolling. Cook got out of his car and said “Hey, come over here.” Sweat ignored and Cook called out again before realizing it was the escaped prisoner.

Sweat turned back to look at the officer and then took off running across a field to a tree line where he could disappear. Cook chased him on foot but realized he had only moments to raise his weapon and fire before Sweat escaped.

So he pulled the trigger.

Where is the public outcry , he shot him in the back according to this story .
Is it because they are both white ?
TOS please explain this to me .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
New York State Police Sgt. Jay Cook
came across Sweat, both alone around 3:20 p.m. Sunday on a road Cook was patrolling. Cook got out of his car and said “Hey, come over here.” Sweat ignored and Cook called out again before realizing it was the escaped prisoner.

Sweat turned back to look at the officer and then took off running across a field to a tree line where he could disappear. Cook chased him on foot but realized he had only moments to raise his weapon and fire before Sweat escaped.

So he pulled the trigger.

Where is the public outcry , he shot him in the back according to this story .
Is it because they are both white ?
TOS please explain this to me .
Not that I would ever try to defend TOS, but the lack of public outcry probably has to do with the fact that Sweat was an armed, violent, fleeing felon. The cop told him to stop, and he didnt, so he got lit up. Thats about as "justifiable" as it gets in my book.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Before I even attempt to wade through every link on that page, let me ask you this. Does NY state require registration of shotguns and rifles? My state does not.

bluehdmc

Not that I would ever try to defend TOS, but the lack of public outcry probably has to do with the fact that Sweat was an armed, violent, fleeing felon. The cop told him to stop, and he didnt, so he got lit up. Thats about as "justifiable" as it gets in my book.

I think Sweat was unarmed when he was shot.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Before I even attempt to wade through every link on that page, let me ask you this. Does NY state require registration of shotguns and rifles? My state does not.
The NY SAFE Act
Bans possession of any "high-capacity magazines" regardless of when they were made or sold. The maximum capacity for all magazines is 10 rounds. .22 caliber tubular magazines are exempt from this limit. Previously legal "pre-1994-ban" magazines with a capacity of 30 rounds are not exempt, and must be sold within one year to an out-of-state resident or turned in to local authorities. The magazine limit took effect April 15, 2013.
Requires creation of a registry of assault weapons. Those New Yorkers who already own such weapons would be required to register their guns with the state. Registration began on April 15, 2013 and must have been completed before April 15, 2014 .
Stolen guns are required to be reported within 24 hours. Failure to report can result in a misdemeanor.

rod

Retired 22 years
Now I see some teenagers say they just about picked that guy up the night before at like 2 in the morning. How friggin stupid are teenagers now days?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He was running away and was not causing the officer any danger .

He was 1.5 miles from the border. Had he crossed they may as well have called off the search as the Canadians are normally less than cooperative.

The area that he was shot in is less than 2 miles from the northwestern edge of our center's delivery area.