Prius anyone?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

400 miles a week R/T? aj's right---you need to look in to student housing near campus. Tell her to go to the student housing office or look on the bulletin board in the student union to start looking. The time spent behind the wheel could/would be better spent studying.

W

want to retire

On a side note if you insist upon paying for her college and buying her a new car you may have to change your user name to Never Going To Retire.

When my daughter started college my ex and I split her first year 50/50. We then did 1/3's for the remaining 3 years. She ended up with about $20K in student loan debt. I also leased a Chevy Cobalt for her ($133/month) which she drove through college and after graduation. When my son started college we did the same deal. He chose to party rather than go to class and was asked not to return for his sophomore year. He went to our local community college, graduated, transferred to our local 4 year school and will graduate in December, all on his dime. His mother bought him a used car both for school and for work (pizza dude). He will also have about $20K in student loan debt upon graduation.

Yep. I have accepted the fact I will work until 70(I"m not joking). My wife is a library aid at the middle school and they're talking layoffs. It's just us. My Daughter was asked not to return also(grades). She's is now Dean's list, National Academic(grades, leadership) Association...Quite a turn around......I would love for a cheaper ride but mpg is important....20 mpg is substantial....anyway we have a plan and at least an end in sight. BTW- my retirement isn't mentioned around here very much.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My retirement is the number one discussion in my household.

I know that you and your family have thought this through and will make the right decision(s). Dave.

W

want to retire

400 miles a week R/T? aj's right---you need to look in to student housing near campus. Tell her to go to the student housing office or look on the bulletin board in the student union to start looking. The time spent behind the wheel could/would be better spent studying.

$1000 per month(when all considered)......that's $12k (to be borrowed).....next 3 years......it's pricy. It really seems stupid for her room(at home to now go unused) See?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Keep in mind, next year she may express a desire to live closer to campus.
She will have a car which you purchased because of the drive and expense.
She will be a year older and may not come home everynight.
She could have another "what's his name".

What will the wife think at this point.

Purchasing property for her to live in results in a few sneaky bennies for mom.
You are the owner - thus, you have a key.
Your wife has an excuse to visit and check in on her.
Dad always has a reason because he writes a "daddy to do list" which really is a daddy check up on daughter list.

She is on her own but really still living at your home.
(you never mention this...)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Was the $1K/month with or without roommates? I disagree with aj in that I would not even consider purchasing a property for your daughter to live in. She should be able to find somewhat nice college housing to share with 3-4 others for $500-600/month.

1600 miles at $.625/mile is $1K. Just sayin'.

W

want to retire

Was the $1K/month with or without roommates? I disagree with aj in that I would not even consider purchasing a property for your daughter to live in. She should be able to find somewhat nice college housing to share with 3-4 others for $500-600/month.

1600 miles at $.625/mile is $1K. Just sayin'.

Without. You are right. Remember about formidable foes....?

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Test drove a new ford hybrid, the C Max. Really liked it & looking to something for my daughter that gets great mpg. With that said, I don't think anything can beat the Prius, they've been out forever, I like the new hatchback model out, too

W

want to retire

Keep in mind, next year she may express a desire to live closer to campus.
She will have a car which you purchased because of the drive and expense.
She will be a year older and may not come home everynight.
She could have another "what's his name".

What will the wife think at this point.

Purchasing property for her to live in results in a few sneaky bennies for mom.
You are the owner - thus, you have a key.
Your wife has an excuse to visit and check in on her.
Dad always has a reason because he writes a "daddy to do list" which really is a daddy check up on daughter list.

She is on her own but really still living at your home.
(you never mention this...)

Yeah....my daughter says New Orleans is her first stop at 21st birthday........

W

want to retire

Test drove a new ford hybrid, the C Max. Really liked it & looking to something for my daughter that gets great mpg. With that said, I don't think anything can beat the Prius, they've been out forever, I like the new hatchback model out, too

Yes, C Max just as pricy. Prius is proven. It's alot of car and 50 mpg! I ride a Harley everyday to work(for the mpg)(yeah, right!) and I'm envious for my daughter........her fuel bill will go from $200 plus a month to about $50 a month (here locally, until college). Daughter really disliked the C Prius and instantly liked the hatchback.....very roomy.

W

want to retire

Scary place for 21 year old female ....

If you don't mind saying, what school?

Well, my wife and two sis in laws are taking her.......U N Texas......I've tried and tried to tell her about N O.....(you know).....but the wife, s- i- l all make it sound like such a party(it is)(plus all her older cousins)(not exactly role models)........what's going to be interesting is how she handles the vomit, urine, filth, debauchery....she doesn't party much.........it's not her......we'll see.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
You flash boobs, you get beads !!! Great place????

Yes, it is.
A great place.
There is more history in that city to absorb than booze in your liver.

I could spend a week (40 hours) in a vacation learning about the men and women of WWII.
And that is just a start....

Sorry off topic.