Pro-Gun / Hunting Thread

wkmac

Windfall Profits

This past week when the oil companies posted their profits, up 80% plus in most cases, the hounds in Washington started making noise.

As for the rest, you just missed the entire point I guess so I'll just leave it that you win the argument and I lose or whatever you want to claim at this point.

OK,
Yeah the might makes rights is one of the big reasons I'm so opposed to large scale gov't. Again it's like giving the bank robber the key to the door and the vault combination.

As for Sci-fi, I also enjoy the thought provoking nature of it. The one thing I always admired about Roddenbury with his Star Trek society is he always threw in the human factor, might makes right if you will, to let everyone know it's still there. You know the funny thing is my wife said yesterday she saw gas at $2.23 a gallon and she was surprised but I pointed out the capacity along the gulf coast was coming on line increasing inventories and in some cases maybe product backup as people had cut their driving habits in light of the high fuel prices. Now as they come down people will return to normal but the gas prices will likely stay about $2 a gallon as that prices shock value has been lost to the $3 stuff we saw already. I told her if the public would stick to their guns we could drive it down further as the inventories backup but we won't. It seems to ring true the old saying, "we've met the enemy and it is us!"

C ya folks, I'm otta here!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
"If one believes Oil will continue to be profitable, one should invest in it; of course, that would be investing in an evil corporation, wouldnt it?"

Yes it would. And you are saying what to wkmac? And please tell me susie, what would, in your opinion make them EVIL?

d

ok2bclever

I Re Member
I agree you can get might makes right abuses at both ends of the spectrum of too little government and too much government.

We are at the too much end at this point where the government is running and growing for reasons centered on itself, rather than reasons for the people.

On the other hand those who hanker for the pioneer spirit that they dude with the biggest gun and best aim rules (various militia cults around the country) that conspire to overthrow the government violently certainly don't get my support as it certainly can be worse than what we currently have to put up with.

Despite the whinings, bitchings, piss, moan and arguments of all of us here, regardless of whether saying the government is doing too much, not enough or not the right stuff, we all are in far better circumstances than the vast majority of the world.

susiedriver

dannyboy said:
"If one believes Oil will continue to be profitable, one should invest in it; of course, that would be investing in an evil corporation, wouldnt it?"

Yes it would. And you are saying what to wkmac? And please tell me susie, what would, in your opinion make them EVIL?

d
Danny, you have a real knack for missing sarcasm. Mac was the one who believes corporations should not be allowed to exist, and the comment was addressed to him.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i didnt miss the sarcasm. But coming from you with your stand on the evil corp empires, I just thought it a bit funny, thats all.

So now you support corporations? Just trying to get to where I understand where your posts are coming from.

But then again, a man trying to figure out how a woman thinks is not all that wise?

d

susiedriver

dannyboy said:
i didnt miss the sarcasm. But coming from you with your stand on the evil corp empires, I just thought it a bit funny, thats all.

So now you support corporations? Just trying to get to where I understand where your posts are coming from.

But then again, a man trying to figure out how a woman thinks is not all that wise?

d
Danny,

To give you a short answer, I am a realist. I dont have a problem with the rights, as defined by law, which corporations generally have.

Main Entry: corporation
Pronunciation: "kor-p&-'rA-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin corporatio, from Latin corporare to form into a body, from corpor- corpus body
: an invisible, intangible, artificial creation of the law existing as a voluntary chartered association of individuals that has most of the rights and duties of natural persons but with perpetual existence and limited liability.

tieguy

Banned
Gun control in DC would clearly seem to be a wasted effort with guns still available around DC. Such an effort would clearly support the point anti-gun controllers make; in that law abiding citizens would be the only ones to comply with the law while criminals would not.in such a case it would seem to be logical to think criminals could become more aggressive believing the average citizen would not be carrying a weapon. There are clearly many more factors affecting the murder rate then the availability of guns.On the other side of the issue I think the availability of concealable weapons clearly can also help the criminal commit their crimes. Chances are pretty good that a criminal who only had guns the size of howitzers available would not be committing as many murders. Hence the big HOW question posed to those who try to deny criminals guns. But spotty gun control imposed in some areas and not all areas will never work and only create a market for gun runners.

wkmac

I know this thread has died out to the back pages but I came across this op-ed piece today on the 2nd Amendment and thought I'd pass along. I'm sure there are several points in the piece many would have contentions with and I understand but there are other points to other rights very worthy of consideration that consider the same logic when a limiting of firearms comes into public discussion.

I wonder how quiet Al Queda would be if all the American Citizens had their own privately held nuclear missles and they were constantly being pointed in their direction? Problem is Tie and OK would have their's pointed at each other and spoil the whole effect!:lol:

Sorry boys, I just can't seem to let that one go but I hope you can laugh with me. Laughter is the first step to a peaceful world IMO. Especially when we can all laugh together!

Take care all.

oldngray

nowhere special
Oops!

Elmer season2.gif