Probation period

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by JordanDelano, Sep 30, 2013.

1. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

Does the 4 days I did in training count toward my probation period? And if I don't accumulate all 70 days before January will I still be laid off? I will have around 60 before Dec. 31st. Does my word days during peak season even still count?
    ​Thank you

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Peak season day do not count. All locals are different. Some free period starts October 1 I think. Other October 15 and some November 1. The free period now runs to January 15.

Work hard show up everyday on time and keep your mouth shut. This should keep u around awhile.

3. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

I live in the western region so I believe my free period starts october 1st but does the free period end on january 15 for everyone or just your region?

4. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

With the new contract I'm pretty sure all places free period ends January 15. Ask a steward at your building.

5. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

Ok. Thank You

6. BrownChoice

BrownChoice Active Member

To make life less stressful, just come to terms with ups using and abusing you, and that if they like you, you might still have a job.. That way your "expecting the unexpected "!

7. HubBub

HubBub Active Member

Might depend on your local sort rider, but where I am in the west there are no seasonal PT'ers. All days worked count toward your 70, including training and peak season. Once you get your 70 days you can only be laid off if everyone with less seniority than you has been laid off. In my building new hires only have to deal with being laid off for a day here and there for a couple months after peak until volume picks up and enough people have quit.

Before you have your 70 days they can pick and choose amongst probationary employees as far as who works and who is laid off.

8. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

Does your peak period also end Jan 15th?

9. HubBub

HubBub Active Member

Currently it's Jan 1st. Will be moved to Jan 15th with the new contract.

10. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

Since I was hired after Aug 1st, I wont have worry about getting laid off until Jan 15th?

11. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

Also, when will the new contract take affect?

12. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

What are you worried about? Not that great of a job. People come and go so fast that in 6 months you will be an old timer.

13. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

Man I just need a job and it would be beyond great if I could keep this one

14. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

HubBub. So in your opinion will I finish my probation before peak?

15. Up_and_at_UPS

Up_and_at_UPS Coffee box sniffer

My center manager told me our free period begins Oct. 3 and goes thru the end of January. I am supposed to be back in the saddle tomorrow, we'll see come tomorrow morning.

16. JordanDelano

JordanDelano Member

Are you in the western region?