Probation period

Double0

I just started working preload during peak. I enjoyed it decently enough. I got called back a few months later. And I've been working loader/unloader for a month ( non work days ). I'm on call and only go in when they call me. The first week they would call me around 3. Shift starts at six. So that was a great time. The second week they called at 4, still fine. The third week was anywhere between 430 and 6. And the fourth week has been nothing earlier than 5. I live around 20 mins away. And they have called me 3 times after the shift starts! I'm sorry but it's very annoying. They don't call me in because someone is sick, they just call me whenever they feel like it. Usually 4 days a week. It agitates me when they call after the shift start. I'm either driving somewhere, not home, and general think I have the day off. I guess my question is , is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it? I like working there. I like the people. ( so far lol ) I just want the calls to be a minimum of an hour before (NOT after) start time. And will I get fired if I miss a couple days due to them calling late? Thank you.

HardknocksUPSer

[QU OTE="Double0, post: 1564214, member: 57795"]I just started working preload during peak. I enjoyed it decently enough. I got called back a few months later. And I've been working loader/unloader for a month ( non work days ). I'm on call and only go in when they call me. The first week they would call me around 3. Shift starts at six. So that was a great time. The second week they called at 4, still fine. The third week was anywhere between 430 and 6. And the fourth week has been nothing earlier than 5. I live around 20 mins away. And they have called me 3 times after the shift starts! I'm sorry but it's very annoying. They don't call me in because someone is sick, they just call me whenever they feel like it. Usually 4 days a week. It agitates me when they call after the shift start. I'm either driving somewhere, not home, and general think I have the day off. I guess my question is , is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it? I like working there. I like the people. ( so far lol ) I just want the calls to be a minimum of an hour before (NOT after) start time. And will I get fired if I miss a couple days due to them calling late? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

sounds like their using you as a puppet, I seen it happen at the center I work at, they most likely won't "fire you" for missing a couple of days since their calling you at THEIR convience. According to the supplement you should be given a "heads up notice" a certain amount of time before the sort, I'm not exactly sure how long it is, maybe someone else knows. Anyhow were you rehired after peak season? If so you should demand you 3.5 everyday assuming you've worked through your 30 day probation period? It may be best to tell your supervisors exactly how you feel and that you want to work everyday and that you want a heads up or a for sure idea of what your doing everyday. I'm not expert on the subject but these are just some ideas and things I've seen in my time, as I was too hired as a free hire during peak season and then brought back as a rehire.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you still on probation....they can use and abuse you. Once you make book...your start time should be posted by friday Morning for the following week.

The alternative is to show up for your shift daily at 6...and take the chance that you might get sent home if they don't need you. If you really want hours...that's what I would do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The alternative is to show up for your shift daily at 6...and take the chance that you might get sent home if they don't need you. If you really want hours...that's what I would do.

If you want this job this is what I would do. It shows a good work ethic and chance are you'll be put to work about everyday.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I would say put up with it till you get your 30 days and after that, be a little more demanding and work hours/days. And if you have to after your 30, get the Union involved.

Box Ox

At my center there are always preloaders willing to go home if extras show up. You'd work every day and be much appreciated.

PT Car Washer

If you are on call UPS is to give you up to an hour notice to report to work. I like the idea of just showing up for work. After a week you should have a good idea of how well that works. Keep track of everyday you do work even if it is just one hour.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I agree with brownslave. Just show up. I may give people the day off because I don't need them or at least I don't think I will need them. But if you show up I would almost certainly have you do something. Plus it shows you really want to work and that's a good thing.

Double0

I agree with just showing up. Infact that's what I did the very second day I started work. And my supervisor asked me " did anyone call you in?" And I said no. My supervisor was like "oh.. Well just clean the inside windows of the trucks." After the shift I was told to only come in when I get a call lol. So I really don't want to be too much of a bother showing up everyday. (Not to mention spend money on gas to get there). Ps there are only 7 to 8 people working the same shift I do. So it's a very very small warehouse compared to the bigger hubs.

DOK

I just started working preload during peak. I enjoyed it decently enough. I got called back a few months later. And I've been working loader/unloader for a month ( non work days ). I'm on call and only go in when they call me. The first week they would call me around 3. Shift starts at six. So that was a great time. The second week they called at 4, still fine. The third week was anywhere between 430 and 6. And the fourth week has been nothing earlier than 5. I live around 20 mins away. And they have called me 3 times after the shift starts! I'm sorry but it's very annoying. They don't call me in because someone is sick, they just call me whenever they feel like it. Usually 4 days a week. It agitates me when they call after the shift start. I'm either driving somewhere, not home, and general think I have the day off. I guess my question is , is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it? I like working there. I like the people. ( so far lol ) I just want the calls to be a minimum of an hour before (NOT after) start time. And will I get fired if I miss a couple days due to them calling late? Thank you.

Where does a preload start at 6?

Usually they have the preloader call in an hour before the start to see if you're working that day, at least here.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I assummed the OP worked Twilight (local sort) and meant 6pm....Agreed, I've never seen a preload shift start later than 4am. I know during peak...they were scheduling the trainees late, though. We'd start at midnight...and their start times were like 530am.
Where does a preload start at 6?

Usually they have the preloader call in an hour before the start to see if you're working that day, at least here.

Double0

Ya I may have worded my first post wrong. The preload part has nothing to do with the question at hand lol. I did that during peak. And we would start anywhere from 12 to 3am during that time. But I'm not a preloader anymore. I start at 6pm. Do I need to be informed atleast an hour before start time?

PT Car Washer

Ya I may have worded my first post wrong. The preload part has nothing to do with the question at hand lol. I did that during peak. And we would start anywhere from 12 to 3am during that time. But I'm not a preloader anymore. I start at 6pm. Do I need to be informed atleast an hour before start time?
For Feeder and package car drivers on call the contract states you must be given an hours notice to report to work. Of course the sooner you show up the sooner you can start making money. Don't know why it would be any different for you.

HardknocksUPSer

I assummed the OP worked Twilight (local sort) and meant 6pm....Agreed, I've never seen a preload shift start later than 4am. I know during peak...they were scheduling the trainees late, though. We'd start at midnight...and their start times were like 530am.
We've been starting at 4:40am and getting done by about 8:20-9am, they shove the volume down the belt then fuss while we are stacked out.

PT Car Washer

We've been starting at 4:40am and getting done by about 8:20-9am, they shove the volume down the belt then fuss while we are stacked out.
That is about what time our preload starts. 4:35 Mon and 4:45 the rest of the week. Most drivers start around 9 AM and sometimes the preload will be wrapped. Misloads and load quality are also terrible so there is a trade off.

HardknocksUPSer

That is about what time our preload starts. 4:35 Mon and 4:45 the rest of the week. Most drivers start around 9 AM and sometimes the preload will be wrapped. Misloads and load quality are also terrible so there is a trade off.
Exactly, I prefer it a little slower, I'm not killing myself to get done before 9 aclock and I'm definitely not going faster than I know I can go without misloads.