Problematic Cyclists: How do you deal with them?

Overpaid Union Thug

How does everyone deal with those annoying cyclists?? You know..... those spandex clad, slow moving people on the bicycles. Many of them are cool and follow the rules that cyclists are required to follow but there are so many that don't.

When I am working in one particular area of town there is a part of the route that is a favorite for cyclists. According to our state laws they have to ride close to the edge of the roads when they are travelling less than the normal speed of other vehicles and impeding traffic and cannot ride more than two abreast. Not to mention must follow all traffic laws that motor vehicles do with a few minor exceptions.

So, why are many ignoring these laws and just continuing to trot along WAY under the speed limit and therefor IMPEDING the flow of traffic? And some even scream and cuss at the drivers of vehicles when they remind them of the rules and some just scream for a driver passing them well over the 3 ft limit. I've bit my tongue instead of saying anything a few times and not so much at other times. Is this a problem anywhere else?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have to stop at the red light......apparently, cyclists can just stand up, get the big picture and shoot through the red, turning left, right or going straight....whatever they want to do.
If you use the road, the rules apply to you too. I beep the horn when they shoot through a red light.........my way of letting them know that I saw what you did......mother.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I enjoy turning on my wiper wash when I'm about 30 feet from them as it will spray all over them when I pass them.
​good times

Overpaid Union Thug

I have to stop at the red light......apparently, cyclists can just stand up, get the big picture and shoot through the red, turning left, right or going straight....whatever they want to do.
If you use the road, the rules apply to you too. I beep the horn when they shoot through a red light.........my way of letting them know that I saw what you did......mother.

I like when they ride in packs of ten and in diamond formation and won't fall into single file close to the fog line when I am behind them even though they are supposed to. Its just awesome.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Why would they follow traffic rules when they can't be held accountable. It's not like they have a license plate on their bikes.

We had a sheriff's deputy write 20 (yes 20) of them tickets for blowing a stop sign. It was a 'riding club' and they were 'pack riding.' It was the most brilliant thing I have ever seen.

There had been a ton of complaints about this riding club riding around like a bunch of a-holes nearly causing accidents so they had it coming. He was sitting there just waiting for them.

If you ride in the road you follow the traffic.laws like everyone else.

I always try to give them a very wide berth. If there is any physical contact whatsoever between my truck and their bicycle, UPS won't care if they were violating the law or not. It will all be my fault.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Here it's illegal to honk at cyclist. It might scare them. No lie its seriously a new law here.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just felt like I needed to hold my space in this thread, seeing as you're hating on something I love. I see your point, but wanna give you a differing point of view.

Overpaid Union Thug

Just felt like I needed to hold my space in this thread, seeing as you're hating on something I love. I see your point, but wanna give you a differing point of view.

HA HA! But I am not hating on cycling. Just some of the people that do it. It's actually pretty bad in my area. But I also notice the good ones. There is a couple on the route I mentioned earlier that ride two abreast every night. As soon as they hear the truck coming up behind them they switch to single file and hug the fog line until well after I've passed. They do this for every vehicle as long as it's safe for both them and the other vehicle to pass. I wish they'd all do that around here. They clearly know and understand the laws. As for the many that could care less.....yeah keep running stop signs and screaming at people. Murphy's Law will eventually apply to them since they refuse to follow their own "Share the Road" Laws.

Buck Fifty

I wont ride a bike, unless it has a motor on it. For the record , I feel if they want to ride on the road, they should buy a tag. I always give them the right of way, but cuss them under my breathe. Summer in TN is slow season.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I sometimes question the judgement of cyclists who choose to ride recreationally on narrow, steep and winding roads that have absolutely no shoulder or bike lane whatsoever. It seems to me that they are placing themselves in jeapordy for no good reason, especially when there are other roads in the area that are much safer and more suitable for them to use. As far as the inconvenience they create for me...I am paid by the hour to drive safely, so if that means crawling up a hill at 5MPH behind some guy on a bike then so be it. On my route I probably lose more time following slow-moving farm equipment and people on horseback than I do to bicyclists anyway. For drivers in urban areas, before you get mad at bike riders remember that if they werent on a bike they would be taking up even more road space and parking if they drove their cars. Like it or not, bikes are the solution not the problem.