Problematic Cyclists: How do you deal with them?

browniehound

I think anyone who rides a bike where motor vehicles are present needs to get their head examined. And if you ride with your children you should be arrested for endangering the life of a minor. You can't find a safer way to get your exercise? Its not even that fun for heaven's sake. And you have to listen to large diesel engines roar past you ear all day while praying his mirror doesn't nail you and send you in a full body cast. What kind of fun is that?

And why do they always have to ride on the narrowest of roads? Roads that can barely fit two-way traffic? I think they do it on purpose.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Everyone makes choices ... its their choice.
​Feel the same way about parachuters and mountain climbers.

My daughter and husband ride on narrow, curvy roads.
My daughter asked me if I was OK with that.
I suggested they make sure they have an up-to-date will.

I know two UPSer spouses that were killed riding their bikes.

Georgia has a 3ft margin law for motorized vehicles passing.
Now, I guess the cyclist can be dead right if they get hit.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That picture of Stug holding his bike upright is the way this 30 something idiot rides all the way to my store.....at least 2 miles in the wheelie position. Then he stops for coffee at Coffee Bean inside of my Ralph's........grabs a magazine off the rack and reads it (free) until he's done with his coffee. I was raised that reading the magazines for sale was stealing. This entitled generation is totally different.
Stug, you are probably the only person in the nation who follows the rules of biking....out here they are idiots. I have yet to see a responsible bike rider.

oldngray

nowhere special
In some countries in Europe if a car hit a cyclist the car is always at fault no matter what the cyclist was doing. Therefore they have a plague of idiot cyclists ignoring all rules of the road almost daring cars to hit them.

browniehound

I also hate to see a mother riding a bike and pulling her infant behind her. And we're talking busy streets here. Is she nuts? She has very little control over that thing she is pulling if some idiot driver does something stupid. How can you leave your baby that exposed to such a dangerous situation? Am I the only one who feels this way?

I feel the same way about people who put the car seat next to a door and not in the center seat. Why would you do that? What would happen to that poor child if you got T-boned? Moving the seat 1.5 feet to the center would likely save the child's life and leaving it near the door would likely cost the child his life. Do they not care or are they just ignorant to the situation?

Overpaid Union Thug

I agree with those that said cyclists shouldn't chose winding and narrowing roads with no shoulder when there are safer roads to choose from. If all cyclists would just follow the rules then it wouldn't matter and we wouldn't be having this discussion but so many don't so here we are. The thing that really bugs me about them is the attitude they project towards people in vehicles. They look at them like "how dare you drive that on OUR road while we are riding?"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Everyone makes choices ... its their choice.
​Feel the same way about parachuters and mountain climbers.

My daughter and husband ride on narrow, curvy roads.
My daughter asked me if I was OK with that.
I suggested they make sure they have an up-to-date will.

I know two UPSer spouses that were killed riding their bikes.

Georgia has a 3ft margin law for motorized vehicles passing.
Now, I guess the cyclist can be dead right if they get hit.

Yeah the packs on the curvy hilly back roads are what's so dangerous. It's really just a matter of someone popping over that hill doing 60 and having no where to go.

We have a stretch of road by my house though that's 55 mph and teens to mid 20's walk that road all the time at night in dark clothing. On the wrong side of the road. I'm amazed we don't hear of more deaths this way.

Brownslave688

I also hate to see a mother riding a bike and pulling her infant behind her. And we're talking busy streets here. Is she nuts? She has very little control over that thing she is pulling if some idiot driver does something stupid. How can you leave your baby that exposed to such a dangerous situation? Am I the only one who feels this way?

I feel the same way about people who put the car seat next to a door and not in the center seat. Why would you do that? What would happen to that poor child if you got T-boned? Moving the seat 1.5 feet to the center would likely save the child's life and leaving it near the door would likely cost the child his life. Do they not care or are they just ignorant to the situation?

They choose not to live in fear of what might happen everyday. Many of us grew up with no car seat jumping around the back seat or riding 5 wide in a regular cab truck. We are still here.

There are millions of ways I could die in that ups truck everyday. I choose not to live in fear that each one could happen at anytime.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
^ do you shave your legs for aerodynamic purposes?
I shave because it feels good to have smooth skin, and it's a benefit to swimming/biking/running. Thanks for asking.

I sometimes question the judgement of cyclists who choose to ride recreationally on narrow, steep and winding roads that have absolutely no shoulder or bike lane whatsoever. It seems to me that they are placing themselves in jeapordy for no good reason, especially when there are other roads in the area that are much safer and more suitable for them to use. As far as the inconvenience they create for me...I am paid by the hour to drive safely, so if that means crawling up a hill at 5MPH behind some guy on a bike then so be it. On my route I probably lose more time following slow-moving farm equipment and people on horseback than I do to bicyclists anyway. For drivers in urban areas, before you get mad at bike riders remember that if they werent on a bike they would be taking up even more road space and parking if they drove their cars. Like it or not, bikes are the solution not the problem.
Sober and I will agree on the health benefits as well as the money saved by using a bike, instead of a car.

I think anyone who rides a bike where motor vehicles are present needs to get their head examined. And if you ride with your children you should be arrested for endangering the life of a minor. You can't find a safer way to get your exercise? Its not even that fun for heaven's sake. And you have to listen to large diesel engines roar past you ear all day while praying his mirror doesn't nail you and send you in a full body cast. What kind of fun is that?

And why do they always have to ride on the narrowest of roads? Roads that can barely fit two-way traffic? I think they do it on purpose.

That picture of Stug holding his bike upright is the way this 30 something idiot rides all the way to my store.....at least 2 miles in the wheelie position. Then he stops for coffee at Coffee Bean inside of my Ralph's........grabs a magazine off the rack and reads it (free) until he's done with his coffee. I was raised that reading the magazines for sale was stealing. This entitled generation is totally different.
Stug, you are probably the only person in the nation who follows the rules of biking....out here they are idiots. I have yet to see a responsible bike rider.
As far as idiotic riders, I agree. The rules of the road apply to cars and cyclists, equally. As far as my safety and the safety of my children, here goes. I tend to ride with my Daughter on roads that are wide and have bike lanes, but not all connecting roads are made this way. If we end up on a road that is single lane in each direction with no bike lane, I allow her to go ahead of me, riding slightly to her left, so cars will give us a wider berth. I believe the 3 foot buffer for bikes is a national law, so I ride believing that people will obey that law. A big thing that vehicles don't understand are the variables, while riding. As I'm riding down the road I see many obstacles that cars don't see. Debris in the road, and loose dogs for instance. If I move to the left a bit, it may be due to these or any other things that a vehicle wouldn't normally see.

Cyclists want to get out on the open roads and see scenery, smell the smells that many people in vehicles are driving too fast to enjoy. That means that we'll be out on the windy, hilly roads, burning calories and enjoying the outdoors. The 3 foot law also states that as a cyclist I should take up the full roadway if it would be impossible for a vehicle to pass without endangering me. For instance, if I or a group are riding and coming up to a traffic circle. We will take up the road, so as not to get into a conflict with a vehicle that may try to squeeze in, with us.

I believe that cycling is a great way to get out, exercise and have fun. If you see someone that you believe is errant in their skills? Bring it to their attention. There's no need to make it an argument, because they're probably ignorant (don't understand) the rules of the road. Be open minded, think of those people as your family, the ones that you love. I'm trusting that while I'm cycling, you're not barreling down on me while updating your facebook. Let's do our best to get along with each other, because as the price of fuel gets higher and the benefits of exercise get more important, the more cyclists you're gonna see, out and about. Oh, and here's something i do before I hit the road on my bike, or in my car. I pray, asking God for safe travel. I know some of you don't believe, but I do. I have faith that God will take care of me and mine. I also believe he will take care of you and yours. :peaceful:

browniehound

If we end up on a road that is single lane in each direction with no bike lane, I allow her to go ahead of me, riding slightly to her left, so cars will give us a wider berth. I believe the 3 foot buffer for bikes is a national law, so I ride believing that people will obey that law.:peaceful:

On the road I have in mind I 3 foot buffer puts me well in to the on coming traffic lane. What's worse is it winds back and forth for a good mile and you can't see if a car is coming toward you. So, when I drive the road to do my deliveries I'm forced to stay behind the cyclist the entire mile because I can't risk passing him because you can't see what's coming the other way.

And that's fine, I don't mind hanging back the entire time. The problem is, the cyclist gets pissed at me. I've gotten everything from dirty looks, the finger, or them putting their arms up like "what the hell are you doing". I'll then make my left hand turn off the road and there they are shaking their head as they pedal away. If I see this particualry nasty guy who was screaming at me again, I'm going to spit on him...

DS

Fenderbender
When they yell,you're blocking the bike lane I say sorry!
If they get nasty I say ok call the cops.
I'm outa there before they can whip out their iPhone.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
There was a big line of Spandex Cowboys hogging the road riding 3 abreast today when i was running errands in my personal car. I finally got around them by driving thru a HUGE lake sized puddle they were trying to avoid ,and I have to admit I chuckled a few times when the splashed all over that nice clean spandex

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That's all pretty funny. I ride with the expectation of getting passed, some driver's not being happy and even getting splashed. Hey, I'm out there and it's gonna happen! The only time I look back is when I'm getting ready to turn, other than that I'm clearing intersections, stopping with traffic, etc... I've been yelled at while hugging the "fog" line, being told to use the sidewalk. I don't know if any of you remember the Little Rascals, but when they were flying down the sidewalk, chaos ensued. With an average speed of 20mph, it's harder for a person to get out of my way, than for a car coming up behind me to catch up. Hot head cyclists are usually nervous nellies, afraid of getting hit. My faith overrides any fear I might have had. I'm sorry for you people that have and continue to experience poor/ignorant/angry cyclists.

Brownslave688

That's all pretty funny. I ride with the expectation of getting passed, some driver's not being happy and even getting splashed. Hey, I'm out there and it's gonna happen! The only time I look back is when I'm getting ready to turn, other than that I'm clearing intersections, stopping with traffic, etc... I've been yelled at while hugging the "fog" line, being told to use the sidewalk. I don't know if any of you remember the Little Rascals, but when they were flying down the sidewalk, chaos ensued. With an average speed of 20mph, it's harder for a person to get out of my way, than for a car coming up behind me to catch up. Hot head cyclists are usually nervous nellies, afraid of getting hit. My faith overrides any fear I might have had. I'm sorry for you people that have and continue to experience poor/ignorant/angry cyclists.

The ones we have a problem with downtown are the ones that weave in and out on the sidewalk then on the road. We have a lot of bikers in this town can't say I've seen more than maybe a handful actually stop at stop sign or red light.

Most like to use the rules of the road when its in their favor but then act like pedestrians when it favors them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Once, I had a guy flipped me off because he thought I should have waited for him and his gay looking fellow cyclist, before backing into a driveway. I smiled and waved, made my delivery. I caught up to them shortly on a long narrow road, went into low gear to get the RPM's up, up, up, moving up to keep slightly ahead. Anyone who had an older Freightliner knows what smoke they can belch with high RPM's! "Suck some diesel smart guy"! From the mirror, I seen them stop. "Game over"!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Once, I had a guy flipped me off because he thought I should have waited for him and his gay looking fellow cyclist, before backing into a driveway. I smiled and waved, made my delivery. I caught up to them shortly on a long narrow road, went into low gear to get the RPM's up, up, up, moving up to keep slightly ahead. Anyone who had an older Freightliner knows what smoke they can belch with high RPM's! "Suck some diesel smart guy"! From the mirror, I seen them stop. "Game over"!
Unfortunately many people think of this as a "game'. Like I said before, pretend it's your child or other loved one on the bicycle and act accordingly. How would you like your loved one inhaling those fumes? And as for "gay looking", I guess you displayed your full intelligence, right there in that phrase. Be careful friend, karma is fierce, but relenting WHEN you learn your lesson.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Unfortunately many people think of this as a "game'. Like I said before, pretend it's your child or other loved one on the bicycle and act accordingly. How would you like your loved one inhaling those fumes? And as for "gay looking", I guess you displayed your full intelligence, right there in that phrase. Be careful friend, karma is fierce, but relenting WHEN you learn your lesson.

If I have to wait for another vehicle, I wait. I don't flip him off. You flip me off and I'm not just going to take it. It was the guy on the bike that started it, not me. Being on a bike is no different, wait until I make my turn, then go. Some cyclist think they own the road for some reason. And by the way, the outfits do look gay as hell.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If I have to wait for another vehicle, I wait. I don't flip him off. You flip me off and I'm not just going to take it. It was the guy on the bike that started it, not me. Being on a bike is no different, wait until I make my turn, then go. Some cyclist think they own the road for some reason. And by the way, the outfits do look gay as hell.
You sound like one of my children. But they started! I'm sorry that you feel this way, but that thinking is the same thinking that causes wars. I feel really sorry for your cycling/gay coworkers, friends and family.