Problems in the load?

Ant12

who cares about quality? just shut up and put it in the trailer, we like quantity not quality.
My sup unfortunately likes quality. He never supervised the load and he's supervising the busiest PD in the hub so he's getting use to things and doesn't really know how things work. I agree with you though but I have the potential to be laid off still since I'm not in the union so I still need to sweat some of the small stuff

Ant12

This goes against the methods
When I look at other PDs I normally see 1 per trailor, but for some reason mine is different. There are like 10 trucks in my PD and there are normally 2 people in about 4-5 of the trucks. We need 2 people in some though cause when we get hit it's pretty bad..and sometimes the sups put in a power scanner.

J

jibbs

I agree with you though but I have the potential to be laid off still since I'm not in the union so I still need to sweat some of the small stuff

Work as directed. If the sup's got a problem with the walls in a load you're cooperatively working on with another employee, you're both going to be responsible for the load unless your supervisor personally witnesses who's doing what. With that in mind along with the fact that you're still a probationary employee, the best thing to do with regard to job retention would be to say something along the lines of, "Yeah, I get it. I'll make sure not to do that, thank you."

Once you're in the union, you can pretty much just look at the guy and be like "Yeaaaaaaaah.... ooookay......" in response to this type of :censored2:.

If this is causing you unnecessary anxiety, try to talk to the new supervisor 15-20min before start time tomorrow. That could easily backfire, though, and despite your honesty the supervisor might be inclined to think you're full of excuses and just won't work for him.

As far as keeping your job, though, the absolute most effective way to ensure this would be to become a "Yes"-man by default, automatically volunteering for less desirable spots and more work, never letting it show that you're getting irritated regardless of how pissed off you are beneath the surface, and always taking the supe's word for whatever mistake of yours they point out, apologizing for the error and making a conscious effort not to let the problem repeat, whether it was truly your mistake or not.

That's just for 30 working days, though. On your 31st you're in, and you can start dragging your feet like the rest of us.

snookbunny420

My sup unfortunately likes quality. He never supervised the load and he's supervising the busiest PD in the hub so he's getting use to things and doesn't really know how things work. I agree with you though but I have the potential to be laid off still since I'm not in the union so I still need to sweat some of the small stuff
you're sup will change his mind real quick when his manager starts riding his butt about excessive hours. and you will be the first one cut out probie

Ant12

Work as directed. If the sup's got a problem with the walls in a load you're cooperatively working on with another employee, you're both going to be responsible for the load unless your supervisor personally witnesses who's doing what. With that in mind along with the fact that you're still a probationary employee, the best thing to do with regard to job retention would be to say something along the lines of, "Yeah, I get it. I'll make sure not to do that, thank you."

Once you're in the union, you can pretty much just look at the guy and be like "Yeaaaaaaaah.... ooookay......" in response to this type of :censored2:.

If this is causing you unnecessary anxiety, try to talk to the new supervisor 15-20min before start time tomorrow. That could easily backfire, though, and despite your honesty the supervisor might be inclined to think you're full of excuses and just won't work for him.

As far as keeping your job, though, the absolute most effective way to ensure this would be to become a "Yes"-man by default, automatically volunteering for less desirable spots and more work, never letting it show that you're getting irritated regardless of how pissed off you are beneath the surface, and always taking the supe's word for whatever mistake of yours they point out, apologizing for the error and making a conscious effort not to let the problem repeat, whether it was truly your mistake or not.

That's just for 30 working days, though. On your 31st you're in, and you can start dragging your feet like the rest of us.

Yeah. The guy I was loading with has a lot of seniority and is known for making horrible walls. My sup knew to only comment to me because the old guy has seniority and doesn't give a :censored2:. I just can't wait until these 30 days are over lol

J

jibbs

They can be a bitch, man, especially without having anywhere trustworthy to turn for advice.

Ask your steward when new hires make book (attain seniority) in your center. Once you've got that knowledge, you're better able to judge just how long you have to keep your nose stained brown before you can be yourself without fear of losing your job.

Truthfully? Your attitude and work ethic is likely the only thing they're gauging during your probation. If you can keep a smile on your face and those packages moving every workday for a month, you'll be good to go.

It sucks biting your tongue but it is what it is. I really only speak up now when my seniority isn't respected or when a new hire is getting legitimately :censored2:ed over. I hate to say it, but there are several (read: 3) people on preload with me that I would've put hands on if we'd had similar interactions outside of the workplace as to what occurred in my first several months with UPS. Those people? :censored2: 'em. Management can work 'em to death and I won't complain until they fall out and we need someone to come take over their spot.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.....They hired 70 seasonal employees and kept 10. I obviously proved that I'm a decent worker......

Well, obviously somebody saw management potential, and made sure you would be called back.

I'm sure that in a week or two you will be promoted, and will have you opportunity to fire those "lazy old men."

J

jibbs

Well, obviously somebody saw management potential, and made sure you would be called back.

I'm sure that in a week or two you will be promoted, and will have you opportunity to fire those "lazy old men."

I honestly don't think there's any denying that a lot of the older inside workers move the slowest.

The misconception, it seems, is why they move the slowest.

Ant12

I honestly don't think there's any denying that a lot of the older inside workers move the slowest.

The misconception, it seems, is why they move the slowest.
I guess it's true they have an excuse, but it's not even that. The guy doesn't know how to build a wall. He throws boxes into it so that I falls on our faces lol

J

jibbs

Are you comfortable asking to be paired with somebody other than the person you're referring to?

Ant12

Are you comfortable asking to be paired with somebody other than the person you're referring to?
Yeah I love 90% of the people on my PD. I like this guy too but I just find myself getting blamed for his :censored2:ty walls. I didn't load with him at all today and I didn't get a complaint from my sup. He even said good job lol. I guess I don't have to worry about it for now

Ant12

Eh. I've heard some horror stories of being in management already from my coworkers lol. It's not that I don't like this old guy...it's just that he's so old and brittle that he can't even do the job right. He's a nice guy but they need to put him in small sort or something lol

Indecisi0n

Yeah I love 90% of the people on my PD. I like this guy too but I just find myself getting blamed for his :censored2:ty walls. I didn't load with him at all today and I didn't get a complaint from my sup. He even said good job lol. I guess I don't have to worry about it for now
Is he at least good looking?

browntroll

you are going about it the wrong way. sup is gonna keep putting you with "lazy" workers because you can help
speed up the work rate. i know exactly how you feel but instead of complaining to management i just start talking
to the person that i'm working with. 2 things will happen either you build up a bond and work better or your sup sees that
and decides you are talking too much and moves you. by the way if they kept you that means someone saw something in you
i had 3 seasonal workers tell me they were kept because another sup told manager to keep them.
days i go to the unload, im the "old guy" but i know how to work alot safer and easier than most unloaders and sups don't
ever question my methods or work pace.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
you had someone else in your trailer??? to help load..... uh, yea, you're real good...
When I worked inside it was very common in my hub to have two guys loading or unloading in the same trailer. When they were blown out I've even seen a third guy attempting to "side load" the walls too. Depending on the load/flow there were loads that only had one guy in a trailer. One load was so heavy that we would run 2-3 doors at a time for one destination with 2 guys loading each trailer.