Problems with people working “off the Clock”?---Here you go

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This looks like ratting out other Teamsters to me. Not something I make a habit of doing.
Article 17 of the National Master states:

"management will not allow employees to work ahead of their scheduled start time without appropriate compensation".

With this in mind, the onus is on the company to make sure this doesn't happen.
Therefore, the grievance the OP is writing is simply asking that these employees be paid for their time and is not necessarily "ratting" anybody out.
Management is well aware it's going on and are in reality the ones being ratted out.

In the end, a warning letter or two may be issued to the stragglers who can't help themselves, but soon after the problem will cease to exist.

The only hurdle I see is convincing a panel that the grievant is the affected employee.
It would be best if the steward files the grievance.
This issue can be a great trump card for a steward with an axe to grind.

Article 17 of the National Master states:

"management will not allow employees to work ahead of their scheduled start time without appropriate compensation".

With this in mind, the onus is on the company to make sure this doesn't happen.
Therefore, the grievance the OP is writing is simply asking that these employees be paid for their time, not necessarily "ratting" anybody out.
Management is well aware it's going on and are in reality the ones being ratted out.

In the end, a warning letter or two may be issued to the stragglers who can't help themselves, but soon after the problem will cease to exist.

The only hurdle I see is convincing a panel that the grievant is the affected employee.
It would be best if the steward files the grievance.
This issue can be a great trump card for a steward with an axe to grind.
I nipped that in the bud about 5 years ago. No problems now. Grievances for members to get paid. Once the discipline starts they fall in line.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have no problem working off of the clock.
CAM00023.jpg
We know, we know...
P.S......you forgot your shoe.

ClownInBrown

GOOD! GREAT! GRAND! Wonderful!
I've worked on the local sort in a small building since January. My start time (along with a few others) is five minutes later than everyone else. If I sit in the office and wait till my start time, my chute is overflowing and I have to bust my ass to catch up. I asked but they won't change my start time. Lately I've been volunteering that extra five minutes just to make my life easier. I know that's exactly what they want, but I start driving in two weeks (FT not cover or temp) and I'd be at a disadvantage if I started bitchin right now. I'll just keep kissin ass till I get my 30 days in.

I've worked on the local sort in a small building since January. My start time (along with a few others) is five minutes later than everyone else. If I sit in the office and wait till my start time, my chute is overflowing and I have to bust my ass to catch up. I asked but they won't change my start time. Lately I've been volunteering that extra five minutes just to make my life easier. I know that's exactly what they want, but I start driving in two weeks (FT not cover or temp) and I'd be at a disadvantage if I started bitchin right now. I'll just keep kissin ass till I get my 30 days in.
All part of the plan. If I start early off the clock my life will be easier.

ClownInBrown

GOOD! GREAT! GRAND! Wonderful!
All part of the plan. If I start early off the clock my life will be easier.
I know (thanks to this site) that's managements plan. I'm just gonna play their game till I'm a driver protected by the union. The sad thing is all of our new part timers don't even know why we have a union. Our steward has been on medical leave for months. Even when he was here he didn't tell me sh-t. I learned about my rights from threads on THIS SITE. I should probably get the real contract lol.

OPTION3

Sorry, not B.S. The delivery order for ORION is not computed until the sort is done and every incoming piece has been scanned.

If preload finishes early, then you can download EDD early. If not.........
our computers are up and running 20- 30 mins BEFORE start time...drivers line up to use them....Then they see me standing there.....uh-oh. Management HATES it

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Working off the clock actually does affect everyone else. It creates the culture that says "this is accepted and normal", much like other forms of apple polishing for the teacher, like lunch and break skipping. It encourages rookies to copy and paste the behavior into their routine, and makes it near impossible to be treated equally across the board. It's the same thing as pulling $15 or $20 dollars out of your wallet one or multiple times a day (and away from your own family) and donating it to your manager for preferential treatment. It's like crossing an imaginary picket line where your brothers and sisters are holding the line for you while you go Benedict Arnold on the other side to their detriment.
I don't see how filing for pay is ratting out another Teamster, when these individuals have no problem crapping on the rest of the crew.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Now will the person working off the clock use the same steward that ratted them out to represent then at a hearing? Hmmmm

OPTION3

Now will the person working off the clock use the same steward that ratted them out to represent then at a hearing? Hmmmm
They Don’t kneed a steward......just slip into the center manager’s office alone...turn the lights down low.....problem solved

wayfair

swollen member
To play devils advocate if you are in a bonus center and work for free in the am for 20 minutes sorting or grabbing ground to go with your air you theoretically are getting paid for that work just starting your day earlier so you can get home earlier.

well mr. devil, don't get hurt while you work for free.... disability pay is a lot lower than workers comp....