Problems with people working “off the Clock”?---Here you go

wayfair

swollen member
Orion is blocked for download until 8:30 . No one knows what they have and 8:45 is when we start. So don't look at it until 8:45.

it might be blocked for download, but the information about what is on the car is available to see on the computers..

One day when you get back to your building, goto those computers, you can see the next day's plan and what is already processed in the building at that time

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Nothing is in our building, until 2am or so, and while you can see for the most part what is on your car, we are never released, as everything is running behind because they start the preload too late, which can be caused by working off the clock. After I am in the parking lot, pre trip done, I am still waiting for it to download most days. Its crazy.
I have no problem with a new person doing it, they are fighting for a job. But then it has to cease.

The new guy next to me has the route down, he gets done at 430, then I have to make his pickups. The other new guy I feel did not become trained correctly, because the gave him a driver trainer, which is fine, but the day he took another new guy out, they added 3 splits to the truck. Guess who had to meet them take work in the dark in an area, I dont know......I dont want to work in the hood in the dark, where I dont know where I am. So if it doesnt cease, I will have to have a stop put to it.

Nothing is in our building, until 2am or so, and while you can see for the most part what is on your car, we are never released, as everything is running behind because they start the preload too late, which can be caused by working off the clock. After I am in the parking lot, pre trip done, I am still waiting for it to download most days. Its crazy.
I have no problem with a new person doing it, they are fighting for a job. But then it has to cease.

The new guy next to me has the route down, he gets done at 430, then I have to make his pickups. The other new guy I feel did not become trained correctly, because the gave him a driver trainer, which is fine, but the day he took another new guy out, they added 3 splits to the truck. Guess who had to meet them take work in the dark in an area, I dont know......I dont want to work in the hood in the dark, where I dont know where I am. So if it doesnt cease, I will have to have a stop put to it.
Take that number 12 shoe,and kick his butt!

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
They couldn't pay me to work off the clock.
downloadfile-17.jpeg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
ive seen a lot of females here at ups that have bigger cajones than most of the men here.

whatever happened to American men?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We have several drivers that work off the clock,get in early, and pay their union dues at the same time. They are only hurting themselves and most of all, everyone in the center. You cant stop them there are too many and the loads are always friend up due to managements lack of knowledge and listening capabilities.

Grievances WILL stop them, because UPS definitely not want to pay the person filing them, and will threaten those working off the clock with discipline if they continue.

Dracula

Why? Seriously why?

I do not do it. Haven't in many years. What is it hurting? Is the amount of discourse and anger it causes among union brothers worth it?

We have stewards who walk the belts every day and file on people just so the stewards make the grievance money. There have been more arguments more fights more ":censored2: the union" and no one ha stopped doing it. So what good is it?

It's hard to believe you actually ask this question. What is wrong with bargaining members working for free? It SHOULD cause discourse among union members, because those working for free have no business calling themselves Teamsters. In fact, they have no business calling themselves intelligent. Why not just tell UPS to cut a dollar or two off their pay level?

There is a reason working off the clock is prohibited. Any driver working off the clock in the building is stealing money out of the pockets of part-timers. Doing it away from the building contributes to cutting hours away from other drivers.

Do you really need this to be explained to you?

Dracula

I quit worrying about what other drivers do a long time ago. If it's a new driver I'll give them a heads up on how the system works, but after that they're on their own unless they ask for my advice/opinion. We're all adults here and if someone wants to work for free so they can get done earlier that's their business. If I have a problem with my dispatch I take it up with management and leave the other drivers out of it.

It's all of our business. If a guy can't finish his job without working off the clock, it's taking money away from other drivers. It's falsifying records. It's also a slap in the face to all hourly workers, union or not.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's all of our business. If a guy can't finish his job without working off the clock, it's taking money away from other drivers. It's falsifying records. It's also a slap in the face to all hourly workers, union or not.
I disagree. If a guy can't finish his job without working off the clock it's his problem not mine or anyone elses. This is a union job with union protection, everyone knows that just like everyone knows that the company can't force you to work off the clock. The drivers who do are making a conscious decision to do so for their own reasons. Like I said if it's a new driver and I think he just doesn't know which way is up yet I'll say something to him, but these guys who have been doing it for 20 years? I'm not wasting my breath because
a) they don't want to hear it and
b) I don't care. Really, I don't.
If you think he's taking money out of your pocket go ahead and file on it but at my building drivers get all the OT they want and more, nobody's losing money because some guy sorts his truck an hour before his start time. As far as it being a slap in the face I think you're taking it way too personal. It's just a job.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
next time you go in early and work off the clock, make sure you tell your wife what you're doing. I bet you'd listen to her opinion, " what?? and you're not getting paid???"
I don't work off the clock and even if I did my wife wouldn't care, she just wants me to be happy :wink2:. If you want to make it a personal mission to stop other employees from working off the clock be my guest. Good luck with it.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
You all are COMPLETELY missing the point really.

Break it down. Why does one come in early and work "off the clock"?

To fluff ones load.

Ok, why is it necessary to do this?

1) lack of training of preloaders
2) short staffing

So how about this crazy idea!?

Leave your UNION BROTHERS (you all use that term so much but I don't think you know what it means) be and deal with the real problems.

File on PT sups working, file on short staffing, file on shoddy equipment, file on over production! :censored2:!!!! FILE FILE FILE on whatever!!

But to call out another UNION BROTHER who has his reasons for wanting to get out of this hell hole as quickly as possible is reprehensible!

Especially when one does it for NO other reason than to pocket the grievance check

That's a scab!

That's someone who I don't want anywhere near me!

wayfair

swollen member
I don't work off the clock and even if I did my wife wouldn't care, she just wants me to be happy :wink2:. If you want to make it a personal mission to stop other employees from working off the clock be my guest. Good luck with it.

personal mission?

hmm, under your user name, it says " file a grieve"

why is that?

wayfair

swollen member
You all are COMPLETELY missing the point really.

Break it down. Why does one come in early and work "off the clock"?

To fluff ones load.

Ok, why is it necessary to do this?

1) lack of training of preloaders
2) short staffing

So how about this crazy idea!?

Leave your UNION BROTHERS (you all use that term so much but I don't think you know what it means) be and deal with the real problems.

File on PT sups working, file on short staffing, file on shoddy equipment, file on over production! :censored2:!!!! FILE FILE FILE on whatever!!

But to call out another UNION BROTHER who has his reasons for wanting to get out of this hell hole as quickly as possible is reprehensible!

Especially when one does it for NO other reason than to pocket the grievance check

That's a scab!

That's someone who I don't want anywhere near me!

How about this crazy idea?

GET PAID WHILE SORTING YOUR LOAD