Problems with sups working

midwest brown

Any other center have problems with sups constantly working? I'm talking going into trucks rearranging shelves, stacking boxes outside trucks as well as the preload sup in the unload sorting and putting boxes on the belt. Today a sup was stacking boxes for someone because they were piling up on the stop bar. I asked For a Grievance and my center manager came up askin why i was filing for. I've talked with my stewards and nothing just seems to be getting done. Wondering if anyone has had these problems before and how you handled it. Sups shouldn't be doing anything right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sups are only allowed to do bargaining unit work during operational emergencies--other than that, they are there to supervise, not work. File but expect to be on their radar for awhile after you do so.

midwest brown

I'm already on their radar because I've talked to stewards before about it but never filed. Well today I grabbed a form for the first time. Even at the end of the day they are helping finish up the preload because we are so understaffed we are finishing right at 8:40 start time. And no1 else will file because they are scared of management. Things are happening but do I have to actually 'witness' it?

Floyd Gondolli

This may be a contradiction, but in a scenario where the pick off is getting pounded and the sup goes up and helps that doesn't bother me. If i need help with an over 70lb and no one else is around i'll ask a sup for a lift. What bothers me is un-necessary splitting of a route or nickel and dime loading of a car. What i do is just ask why they are loading or splitting and they will explain the situation to me. Usually it's only for a few minutes and then the staffing for that particular situation arrives or the sup stops what he was doing. Just bring it to their attention. You don't have to file for those kind of petty violations.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
File please file even if it's only five minutes. what if they all work three different time for 5 min apiece? The problem usually isn't being understaffed its not starting you all 15-20 minutes earlier which at 10 bucks an hour is just petty. What happens is drivers end up leaving 10 minutes later because they sent people home or started too late. This time ends up being overtime for the driver. I have never understood why they think it's better to pay a driver 45 bucks an hour than a preloader 10-15.

anonymous4

Lol same here. I remember a while back someone here was chewed into for letting supervisors break jams. I have a hard time believing sups don't work in 100% of hubs. Maybe on the shifts with higher seniority employees who actually have something to say about it? Other than that sups are working almost as much as hourlies in a lot of cases.

midwest brown

That's the thing they stare me down all day like I stand around and do nothing. They start drivers early instead of hiring new people. For example, new hire has to use the bathroom constantly so everytime he leaves the sup ends up pulling the belt and doing work. Shouldn't a union member be doing this type of work? I'm not sure how other centers work but we seem understaffed and there's never anyone to help when you get backed up

UPSGUY72

In the building I started working at the there are a couple of feeder driver that will file everyday they see a SUP working. It got to the point that when the feeder drivers show up and drop there trailers the SUP ask them if they want to sort. There is always 1 or 2 feeders drivers sorting in no big hurry at $46 hr.

midwest brown

All full timers say by them working they are taking away from me the part timer. I want hours and I could get more if they would not touch anything because I'd stay longer because they would either have to start earlier or hire more part time. But my center manager was very angry and basically threatened me pretty much putting a target on my back.

UPSGUY72

All full timers say by them working they are taking away from me the part timer. I want hours and I could get more if they would not touch anything because I'd stay longer because they would either have to start earlier or hire more part time. But my center manager was very angry and basically threatened me pretty much putting a target on my back.

As long as you play be the rules you have nothing to fear. They people that have to worry about the a target on them are the people that think being in the union is a free pass to be a friend---ing A--H---. By filing you will be putting them on notice that they need to stop working or be ready to pay up.

They will also do anything to try to get you not to file if you don't file they win and will continue to work as they know that they can intimidate you into not filing.

anonymous4

You are overlooking the point. If help is NEEDED, it should be done by union workers per the contract. The big point you're missing is these are jobs that should be filled and instead you have SUPS working because people don't own a spine.

Upser843

You shouldn't be in the union then! If your following methods and still are stacked out then odds are your being over worked but don't have the guts to say something. Shame on you for being such a push over!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'd rather have my sups help me instead of getting stacked out and not wrap up on time.

You are overlooking the point. If help is NEEDED, it should be done by union workers per the contract. The big point you're missing is these are jobs that should be filled and instead you have SUPS working because people don't own a spine.

You shouldn't be in the union then! If your following methods and still are stacked out then odds are your being over worked but don't have the guts to say something. Shame on you for being such a push over!

klolx, sometimes the easiest solution is not always the right one. Yes, it is easier to have the sups help, but if you find that you need help more than occassionally then your sort is understaffed and they need to either hire more people or start you guys earlier.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So basically file or they win. I got that vibe when the center manager tried to get me not to file because I think he was scared

He most certainly was not scared; in fact, I would be willing to bet that you will have gained a certain amount of respect from him for standing up for your rights. He will simply have to adjust the way the preload operates.

midwest brown

So basically file or they win. I got that vibe when the center manager tried to get me not to file because I think he was scared

He most certainly was not scared; in fact, I would be willing to bet that you will have gained a certain amount of respect from him for standing up for your rights. He will simply have to adjust the way the preload operates.

That's another thing since I did not witness it he said why isn't someone else filing. I told him because people are scared and I am not.