Procedure regarding co-worker passing out?

djkre8r

This morning we encountered a "situation" that has never been covered during any safety meeting. What is the proper procedure regarding a co-worker passing out? We had just been carrying on a conversation and both walked into our respective trucks. I heard another worker ask my friend if he was OK. I looked and saw him slumped down in his truck.
At first I thought he had simply hit his head on a box (you know those that stick out a bit too far and just takes you out on occasions) and he had to sit down. I stopped the belt and went to his aid. He was looking into space and not responding to anything I said. I told my coworker (the one who discovered him) to get a supervisor and call an ambulance. At that point the passed out worker said he was ok and to not call 911. When a sup arrived, he started asking questions about previous history. The guy then responded "once before - what year is it?". At that time I ONCE AGAIN suggested calling 911. At my other job we are told it is not our part to make the 911 call but the supervisor in charge. The "downed" worker kept asking if it was break time and that he would be ok but just felt dizzy.

At this point we laid him back in the floor of the truck and started trying to gather more info. A sup called his wife and said she was on her way to the center. The plan (from the sups) was to have his wife carry him to the ER and get checked out. By this time, the others had taken our 10 minute break and returned to the belt. They wanted him to sit up but when he did - he got dizzy again and laid back down. A few minutes later he wanted to stand up and go to the office (with a little coaching from the sups to get him out of the way of production). I helped him to the office, had him lay down, and then insisted AGAIN to call 911. The initial call to 911 was 20 MINUTES AFTER HIS COLLAPSE. EMS arrived in 10 minutes, walked in with a duffle bag, and in 5 minutes had him on a stretcher. There was obviously something they saw they had them out of there quickly.
At the ER they didn't see anything wrong and were going to send him home until he had another spell. He is now being help over night for observation.

First - how dare them expect his wife to come pick him up and deliver him to the ER.
Second - what is the UPS protocol on getting 911 to a person in need?

After speaking today to an EMT friend and explaining what had happened - he said that 911 should have been called immediately! Prolonging the situation could have made his outcome even worse!
Not only am I disappointed in the way this was handled but, I am frustrated that we haven't been told or coached on how to react to a situation like this. As a safety co-chair and this was a fellow safety member - I WILL make sure this situation is NOT looked over! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

friend..your Sup...if anyone has an emergency dont wait 4 one of those brainless A-holes 2 call 911 you do it.!!!!! They cant dispatch your route the correct way...now they are a freakin doctor?. I hope your friend is O.K... We will all pray for him and your :censored2: supervisor too!!!!!!!!!!

friend..your Sup...if anyone has an emergency dont wait 4 one of those brainless A-holes 2 call 911 you do it.!!!!! They cant dispatch your route the correct way...now they are a freakin doctor?. I hope your friend is O.K... We will all pray for him and your :censored2: supervisor too!!!!!!!!!!
Yea but don't supervisors know everything??

UnconTROLLed

perfection
jmo, ambulance and 911.

However, a ride to the ER outside of ambulance should ALWAYS be provided by a co-worker if it's not an ambulance. I believe it's in the contract, too, but don't quote me on that.
Unfortunately, we had a co-worker have a heart-attack on the sort aisle and he didn't make it. No one knew CPR and the ambulance had trouble finding the part of the primary he was located. Management kept the primary going, working around him.

If it happens outside of work, different story...but if it's a co-worker and family, the correct way is always the proactive one. jmo

djkre8r

Should UPS be required to provide proper preparation? My EMT friend said they would be more than happy to come out and provide us with simple first aid training and some proper course of actions. We are a small center (about 12 on preload) and we look out for each other. I just don't want this to happen again without some knowledge of what to do or how to react. Be it in my center or somewhere else.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Should UPS be required to provide proper preparation? My EMT friend said they would be more than happy to come out and provide us with simple first aid training and some proper course of actions. We are a small center (about 12 on preload) and we look out for each other. I just don't want this to happen again without some knowledge of what to do or how to react. Be it in my center or somewhere else.
We don't have time to teach first aid and safety today, we had a guy pass out and now the belts jammed.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
jmo, ambulance and 911.

However, a ride to the ER outside of ambulance should ALWAYS be provided by a co-worker if it's not an ambulance. I believe it's in the contract, too, but don't quote me on that.
Unfortunately, we had a co-worker have a heart-attack on the sort aisle and he didn't make it. No one knew CPR and the ambulance had trouble finding the part of the primary he was located. Management kept the primary going, working around him.

If it happens outside of work, different story...but if it's a co-worker and family, the correct way is always the proactive one. jmo

I hate this ****ing company. That's disgraceful.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
jmo, ambulance and 911.

I've said stuff like this before to other co-workers and you know what's sad, it doesn't surprise me or them. When I tell people that don't work here the same things, they think I'm BSing. One of my buddies father in-law said we should write down the crap that goes on here and publish a book in 20 years.

I've said stuff like this before to other co-workers and you know what's sad, it doesn't surprise me or them. When I tell people that don't work here the same things, they think I'm BSing. One of my buddies father in-law said we should write down the crap that goes on here and publish a book in 20 years.
IF You write a book ...I will E-mail you an extra 50 chapters!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
This is my opinion....OPINION!!!

Patient was not unconscious therefore it was not an imediate emergency. No signs of obvious trauma, not probable heat related (you didn't mention heat so this is an assumption on my part), no medical alert braclets/necklace. No dificulty breathing, no racing pulse....I would abide by his wishes and not call 911 right away. Contacting wife was a smart thing to do trying to get more infomation. Removing him from the area and getting him somewhere he could rest was the correct thing to do, IMO. This appears to be a medical issue.

EMT company does not make $$$ unless they take someone somewhere. Therefore, its expected that every call equals a ride. Just because they put him on a stretcher really does not mean delaying the 911 was a horrible call. The ER checking him out with all the diagnostic tools they have available and making the determination to send him home untill he had a second "episode" is the single most telling thing about what happened!

I am the Safety Co-Chair for my work group also and I promise you I have an extensive medical background. From what you have told us I do not think it could have been handled much better. You or others can try and vilify the participants but for what? I can't see anything wrong being done from what you have told us and everything that was done was done correctly.

I know in hind sight you feel 911 should have been called right away but the person was not unconscious. With that being said just being the devil's advocate here.....He said, "no" to 911 so unless he poses a direct danger to himself or others how can you justify forcing it upon him? I mentioned the call to the wife being smart.....it really was!

Patient was not unconscious therefore it was not an imediate emergency. No signs of obvious trauma, not probable heat related (you didn't mention heat so this is an assumption on my part), no medical alert braclets/necklace. No dificulty breathing, no racing pulse....I would abide by his wishes and not call 911 right away. Contacting wife was a smart thing to do trying to get more infomation. Removing him from the area and getting him somewhere he could rest was the correct thing to do, IMO. This appears to be a medical issue.

EMT company does not make $$$ unless they take someone somewhere. Therefore, its expected that every call equals a ride. Just because they put him on a stretcher really does not mean delaying the 911 was a horrible call. The ER checking him out with all the diagnostic tools they have available and making the determination to send him home untill he had a second "episode" is the single most telling thing about what happened!

I am the Safety Co-Chair for my work group also and I promise you I have an extensive medical background. From what you have told us I do not think it could have been handled much better. You or others can try and vilify the participants but for what? I can't see anything wrong being done from what you have told us and everything that was done was done correctly.

I know in hind sight you feel 911 should have been called right away but the person was not unconscious. With that being said just being the devil's advocate here.....He said, "no" to 911 so unless he poses a direct danger to himself or others how can you justify forcing it upon him? I mentioned the call to the wife being smart.....it really was!
Gee thanx..We didnt want the stupid...DOk answer.....Im sure glad you its NOT UP TO YOU TO MAKE THE CALL!!!!!!! MY wife doesnt drive...so I guess Im friend** dead...thanx BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laffter

A guy who used to be on our belt had an asthma-related incident and passed out. Ambulance was called pretty quickly, as far as I recall.

A driver sup once told me a story about a driver some years ago who was suffering from extreme dehydration. Rather than calling for an ambulance, the sup drove this guy to the ER. I feel like EMT's could have helped the situation much quicker had they been called immediately.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

If someone passes out and is immediately disoriented ("What year is it?") then you call an ambulance on the company's dime. I'd whip out my cell phone and dial the numbers in front of my division manager if I had to.

We had a PE guy in my building catch heat stroke a few years back. The "Safety" Manager didn't call an ambulance and he told me he woke up in his house later that night with no idea of how he got home - he left work and drove. Think about that.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

You did read the part where he says "no 911" and then asks what year it is? Yes, let's let someone who's obviously incoherent decide wether or not he needs medical treatment by a professional. Perhaps you'd be ok telling his wife that you felt he didn't need the assistance of trained medical personel while they inform her that her husband just had a stroke. I mean you're on the safety commitee so if it doesn't have a card with what to do, it must not be important.

Again, tell me what training a pimple nosed pt sup that's voice is still breaking recieves to make such a astute judgement call as to not seek professional assistance for the employee?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If someone passes out and is immediately disoriented ("What year is it?") then you call an ambulance on the company's dime. I'd whip out my cell phone and dial the numbers in front of my division manager if I had to.

We had a PE guy in my building catch heat stroke a few years back. The "Safety" Manager didn't call an ambulance and he told me he woke up in his house later that night with no idea of how he got home - he left work and drove. Think about that.
Beat me to it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Too many union safety co-chairs get caught up in the bull**** parade about DART injuries, missed time, corporate paperwork, etc.

You are there to represent the interests of the union and the safety of your brothers and sisters. friend* safe work days. friend* safety cookouts. friend* paper work. friend* your Management Co-Chair - none of it should be your problem. All too often I run into the Union Safety Co-Chairs babbling the company line and it makes me sick.

If you see a union brother working unsafely, correct it. If you see a union sister doing something blatantly unsafe and they talk smack to you, tell their manager. But don't refuse to call 9-1-1 when someone keels over - that'll get someone killed.

djkre8r

To clarify some things... he had eaten before work, no signs of any trouble that morning, and no history of any trouble in the time I have worked directly across from him. He is a hard worker but, it hadn't been that "bad" this morning. Also, the heat was not a factor. We were all in shorts and T-Shirts this morning but you really didn't want to walk outside wearing that. Felt good while working.
About the cracks on the sups... the main one making the "call" of what to do has been with the company for many - MANY - years. He is nearing retirement - been there that long. I just think a protocol needs to be implemented. Constant asking "is it break time?" and such as "what year is it" meant to me that he was in no shape to make the call of "don't call 911".

Also, I may be a CHSP member but could care less about numbers in relation to my co-worker/friend! By being on the committee - I feel it is my responsibility to get something done and make it go smoother the next time. On the contrary... will this incident actually show up on some stupid report? It wasn't like he tripped and bumped his head. Did calling the ambulance out go against some number? If so - this company has problems!