Process of appealing an accident.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Anyone care to share there stories? If you were charged with avoidable, and it was no way your fault what ended up happening? Any success stories? Who decides if you appeal ?

UPSGUY72

Anyone care to share there stories? If you were charged with avoidable, and it was no way your fault what ended up happening? Any success stories? Who decides if you appeal ?

Avoidable or unavoidable is open to there interpretation. Unless your getting fired for it what are your going to "appeal". Remember in the end your not getting a bonus when you retire for not getting into an accident....

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
There's a driver in my center whose only accident was a "dog run over in the road" and will cost him entry into the Circle of Honor. Possibly the worst person I've ever met, was the center manager and told him it was avoidable. Reading this forum for so long, I know a dead dog in the road should be unavoidable and a dead dog in a driveway should be avoidable but I know it bothers him but he didn't push the issue. It's a shame, he's been driving for over 20 years.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If it's just an accident, who cares? A few ride alongs, a couple DOK tests and all is good. Circle of honor is a scam. It should be 25 years with zero accidents, which we all know it's not.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There's a driver in my center whose only accident was a "dog run over in the road" and will cost him entry into the Circle of Honor. Possibly the worst person I've ever met, was the center manager and told him it was avoidable. Reading this forum for so long, I know a dead dog in the road should be unavoidable and a dead dog in a driveway should be avoidable but I know it bothers him but he didn't push the issue. It's a shame, he's been driving for over 20 years.
It doesn't go back to zero.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think he is saying no accident at all should have been put on his record. To which I agree. What if a cat was in road and got run over, or a chipmunk or bunny rabbit .... Etc etc etc. that's some bs.
I backed into a tree a few years ago. Took out a marker light. I bitched and fought it for a few weeks. Back in the day you just had it replaced. Put me through the safety BS, no warning letter. Amazingly I still have 18 years safe driving.

dogs.bite.me

I had a guy uturn across multiple lanes of traffic and hit me on the passenger side rear tire.

I honked and crossed into incoming traffic (no cars were coming) and the guy still hit me.
I was charged with avoidable. Grieved it and it got overturn. My supervisor agreed with me though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I had a guy uturn across multiple lanes of traffic and hit me on the passenger side rear tire.

I honked and crossed into incoming traffic (no cars were coming) and the guy still hit me.
I was charged with avoidable. Grieved it and it got overturn. My supervisor agreed with me though.

How did you grieve it. What article did you file under. Who overturned it. How long did process take and how. Thanks!!!!

dogs.bite.me

I just grieved. Didnt state an article. Just put the details of the accident and even had my supervisor sign of that he thought it was unavoidable.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I just grieved. Didnt state an article. Just put the details of the accident and even had my supervisor sign of that he thought it was unavoidable.

What??? Only grievance form I have seen needed to have article violation and section And how they violated contract.

dogs.bite.me

Ours has a spot where we state or dispute (usually where you put the article) and then a space for what you want.

dogs.bite.me

It just came back a few months later that it was changed to unavoidable. No meeting or anything. That was my first accident of any kind in 6+years of driving.

Our contact says that after 5 years of safe driving if you have an accident you don't lose your Circle of Honor status. That year just doesn't count towards your safe driving number.

ol'browneye

You don't lose your Circle of Honor for an accident. It just gets pushed back a year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK, that's great.
LOL, to be honest, I think we both thought it was 25 CONSECUTIVE years driving safely, but this does make more sense.

If you have an avoidable accident and you have 5 or more years of accident free driving you do not go back to zero. Your safe driving years are put on hold for the remainder of that year and will resume at your anniversary date.

I agree that the Circle of Honor should be 25 years with zero accidents but it is only 25 years of safe driving. I am sitting at 23 and will be curious to see what happens in 2 years.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was sitting at a red light, first in line on the way back to the building one afternoon. I was driving a P-400 which were uncommon as they weren't built for UPS as package cars. They were built as bread trucks and UPS bought them and converted them when the bread company had a downturn and passed on them. They were steel all around with 1/4" thick steel bumpers. Had my foot on the brake and was looking up at the red light. Heard a skidding noise, checked my mirrors but didn't see anything, then BAM a guy ran into the rear of me. Messed his car up. Buckled his hood where he could barely see over it. Ruptured his radiator. You could have fixed my damage with a fingernail polish bottle of brown paint. The guy was so drunk he couldn't walk. Last thing he wanted was a cop to show up. He said you're fine, I'm fine, I gotta go. He drove around me, his car spewing anti freeze. I walked over to a store and called in. They said to come on in and fill out an LP-880, or whatever they're called now. The center manager had a hard for me. He asked me why didn't I see him coming? Why didn't I honk my horn or put on my flashers to warn the drunk of the impending collision? I thought he was kidding but he was dead serious. I told him if he tried and charge me that accident, I'd grieve it to the supreme court, and he would lose whatever credibility he had. He actually left me hanging for several weeks before it came back unavoidable. As a sidenote, this same guy was demoted to IE supervisor and probably 5 years later did a time study on my area which caused me to lost 1.5 hours a day. He was fired shortly after that for screwing a married female driver and ADDING 2 hours to her time study. karma.