Production firing case finally heard at panel..... well almost

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In addition, you are putting pressure on your cover drivers to match your performance.

There is a simple way to end this behavior--print the delivery records of the lunch skippers and check them to see if there was any work performed while they were "on lunch".

California shuts down their boards but I don't think we need to go that far.

I may not take my lunch between the 3rd and 5th hours but I do take my full lunch and break.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So If I am to understand what you are saying, said sporh, when a sup is on car, and when off car should stay the same. What happens when route changes enough to add 15 miles, or when pieces on ride were at avg 250, and go to 300. How can you expect the same sporh?

The company cant realistically expect the same SPORH...which is why these "termination" letters are never being upheld at panel.

The company is well aware of the fact that they wont be upheld at panel....but they issue them anyway in the hopes that a least a certain percentage of the workforce will be intimidated enough by the prospect of a termination hearing that they will knuckle under and skip their lunches.

9 skipped lunches=1 eliminated route=1 less car on the road=one less FT benefit and pension package to pay for. Do the math. On a nationwide basis we are talking about millions of dollars per year in additional profits that can be made.

This corporate philosophy comes straight out of Atlanta, and it is solely for the benefit of the sharholders. The people who promote this philoshophy could care less about you or your health or your family or the importance of honoring the labor agreement they entered into. The only thing they care about...is screwing as many of us as possible out of our lunches and breaks so that those millions of dollars per year can go from our pockets and into theirs.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yeah,then I wonder why we lost time per piece if pieces don't matter. One of the areas where routes lost the most time was industrial and mall routes....which doesn't make sense since these routes are doing the majority of a centers pickup and delivery work.they lost time on the last ie studies for one reason only...these routes usually only have 50-70 delivery stops and they were bringing the stops per car down. This is also IMO why pick up stops don't count towards the spc metric because most of these industrial areas have 30 and 40+ pickups. It's a crock of crap...pure and simple. I have been on my route for quite a few years and it's industrial....I am overallowed everyday and I can have a day where I'm touching 1000 pieces and have almost the same allowance as a day I'm touching 600.... The route next to me fundamentally is exactly the same and that route can do a few less miles and less pieces picked up and delivered and plan an hour better than me....this has got me so pissed at times that I have almost blown a gasket at the center.
I feel the same way. I gained .005 in my virtual time study. I almost blew gaskets a few times, then I realized, Im almost out of them. So I do my job, I take my lunch and breaks, I put them in the board, and the rest is out of my hands.
So they have come out and tried to see what I am doing wrong, and yes they may have shown me a thing or two Im not doing right, that I could improve on, but the majority of them have gained me a little. The fact is, Im just older. I can still work the butt off most newbies, and outlast them, but the knees, the ankles, the wrists, the body, dont bend as quick and that is just the way we were made.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In addition, you are putting pressure on your cover drivers to match your performance.

There is a simple way to end this behavior--print the delivery records of the lunch skippers and check them to see if there was any work performed while they were "on lunch".

California shuts down their boards but I don't think we need to go that far.

I may not take my lunch between the 3rd and 5th hours but I do take my full lunch and break.

The problem is many of the relief.drivers are the ones doing the running and lunch skipping. Another problem I have with your post is I do not want to get another employee In trouble...and having delivery records printed out could be an issue later on...especially if an employee is printing them out themselves...this methods push is just a way to counter the companies not being able to fire over production.

20_years_in

There is constant pressure at my center to work off of the clock. I have done a lot of asking around and about half of the drivers are working on their breaks. They say that they "just want to get home" or "don't want to get in trouble". The Heck with that!
It is as simple as doing things the right way: work when you are on the clock and rest when you are not.
We just had some runner gunner blow through a stop sign and plow into a car, severely bloodying up a bunch of kids and causing severe, permanent facial scarring to at least one kid. If that driver would have driven safely and rested throughout the course of the day, EVERYBODY would have benefited.
I take every single second of my breaks and I get my full compensation. This works for me, but I do have to be very careful to follow all of the methods because I run over allowed every day. But all of us have to be very careful, right? Management literally follows us with cameras and video recorders. Taken together with the GPS and the DIAD that archive data to the nearest second, one would be a fool not to be very careful.
Suspiciously, management never disciplines drivers for working through their breaks. Hmm...
Also, if I am here to bitch and moan, I am sick of the cronyism in our center. We have suckups and ass-kissers who kiss up to the center manager and other management in order to get favors, and IT WORKS! I have concluded that this is beyond my control, and that I make more money by not being an ass kisser.
Finally, if you want to keep your job don't bring XXX material to work. Not on your laptop and not on your cell phone. I can count at least 4 drivers who were permanently fired for just this. Word to the wise.

Last edited:

DorkHead

The problem is many of the relief.drivers are the ones doing the running and lunch skipping. Another problem I have with your post is I do not want to get another employee In trouble...and having delivery records printed out could be an issue later on...especially if an employee is printing them out themselves...this methods push is just a way to counter the companies not being able to fire over production.

I had the following conversation with my center manager about 15 years ago.
center manager: How come M*** can scratch your route when he covers for you and you can`t?
ME: I don`t know. Why don`t you ask him?
center manager: I`m asking you.
ME: I know. You`re asking me how M*** can scratch it. I`m D***, go ask M***.
Never heard another thing from him, reassigned after peak 2 months later

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There is constant pressure at my center to work off of the clock. I have done a lot of asking around and about half of the drivers are working on their breaks. They say that they "just want to get home" or "don't want to get in trouble". The Heck with that!
It is as simple as doing things the right way: work when you are on the clock and rest when you are not.
We just had some runner gunner blow through a stop sign and plow into a car, severely bloodying up a bunch of kids and causing severe, permanent facial scarring to at least one kid. If that driver would have driven safely and rested throughout the course of the day, EVERYBODY would have benefited.
I take every single second of my breaks and I get my full compensation. This works for me, but I do have to be very careful to follow all of the methods because I run over allowed every day. But all of us have to be very careful, right? Management literally follows us with cameras and video recorders. Taken together with the GPS and the DIAD that archive data to the nearest second, one would be a fool not to be very careful.
Suspiciously, management never disciplines drivers for working through their breaks. Hmm...
Also, if I am here to bitch and moan, I am sick of the cronyism in our center. We have suckups and ass-kissers who kiss up to the center manager and other management in order to get favors, and IT WORKS! I have concluded that this is beyond my control, and that I make more money by not being an ass kisser.
Finally, if you want to keep your job don't bring XXX material to work. Not on your laptop and not on your cell phone. I can count at least 4 drivers who were permanently fired for just this. Word to the wise.

Good info 20....so what happen to that driver that got into the accident????I would think if a lawyer found out a company is pushing an employee so bad that they are being unsafe with the general public ,well this is not good. Ultimately driver makes these decisions but there is other underlying stress from the company that could change employees behaviors.

20_years_in

Good info 20....so what happen to that driver that got into the accident????I would think if a lawyer found out a company is pushing an employee so bad that they are being unsafe with the general public ,well this is not good. Ultimately driver makes these decisions but there is other underlying stress from the company that could change employees behaviors.

He is currently out on paternity leave (FMLA). He got a routine discharge letter for the intersection accident. The company will pay a lot on that accident, and hopefully he will slow down when he gets back. Lesson learned: don't drive through a stop sign at 30 MPH.

packageguy

He is currently out on paternity leave (FMLA). He got a routine discharge letter for the intersection accident. The company will pay a lot on that accident, and hopefully he will slow down when he gets back. Lesson learned: don't drive through a stop sign at 30 MPH.

looks like a 5 day suspense, for sure if that's his first accident. I really hope he does not lose his job. hope for the best...

Inthegame

Great advice on the earlier post, but I disagree about ass kissing working. It works for a while but they'll fire their own mothers when they feel like it. Nobody is safe. Hope for the best on the stop sign runner...if those injuries are as severe as you stated UPS has been very reluctant to put those drivers back for exactly the reasons coldworld mentioned. Put that guy back with that history and the next accident becomes a lawyers dream.