profits to management!! WHY??

O

ok2bclever

moreluck,

I totally disagree with what you stated earlier ( not regarding your right to speak).

By your definition only management is dedicated to this company and frankly while that sounds wonderful for your husband, ddomino is correct and not one of those dedicated managers would stick if the money stopped, period.

You hear over and over how union employees are uncaring, but that is shlock.

Union workers go above and beyond, many times far beyond what their managers care about or want them to for the customer because they are dedicated to the ideals this company says it has.

You can only do so much for this company regardless of your position and eskew does not do enough to rate the multiples of income he is given in salary, stock, etc.

While someone else mentioned comparing him to other CEOs most of them are overpaid as well, so that makes it right?

And if he has distinguished himself in that position tell me where, certainly not in the share price or any performance issues that I can see that turned around with his coming.

Those areas where we were already improving he shouldn't rate much credit for and those areas where we are not still seem to be headed that way and over all most of the changes have not been lower management or workforce friendly that he has control over.

Personally, I consider the word "dedicated" in a human being that is willing to sacrifice spouse, children, loved ones and friends, just a nicer sounding word for greedy.

If you went through 28 years it sounds like you are the original wife and that is a major rarity at our company with the "dedicated".

Perhaps if we paid the top positions more appropriately we would get truly dedicated individuals rather than just greedy out of touch ones painted with that nice sounding word.

Regardless, this is America and I will defend your right to voice your opinion even if I disagree with it.

Bad Speed!
cop_icon.gif

air upser,

most supervisors already think they are delivering too much and don't want any "flexibility" that would put them out on the road alone more than they already are.

You in customer service or a part-time supe?

Because you obviously are not in full-time operations.
biggrin.gif

M

moreluck

I thought the topic was compensation for the dedication. Obviously, NO ONE would work if the money is cut off.....nowhere, no how!

Unless someone here is Eskew's personal assistant, none of us knows what he does, how long he works when he eats etc. etc.

I give up because comments are twisted around and I really can't keep up.....guess I'll just watch from the porch.

U

upsdawg

AIR UPSER--thanks--you sound "Educated"---FedEx Guy---get a clue!! Profits are reduced by Capital Expenditures-----and UPS is in the business to provide Profits--to it's Shareholders and to Wall Street!

MoreLuck---thank you for your comments--please don't take the comments from the Minority personal---someone is very lucky to have you in their life for 28 years---which is an exception in UPS management anymore!!

UPS is a $40 Billion company---responsible for 5% of the GNP-----it's CEO should make a "LOT" of money!! I am sure that Mike Eskew has made some personal sacrifices that no one knows about....as the thread indicates----"If you have not walked in his shoes"---don't speculate or judge the man---all of the responsibility of UPS remaining the #1 Transportation Company rests in his hands----he is the one whose name gets shamed if anything negative happens!!

I feel comfortable that UPS is on the right track to remain one of the 3 companies with AAA Bond rating and our expansions into China and the SCS arena is where the future profits for UPS will come from---Mike Eskew and "OUR" Board of Directors will take us there, and I for one am glad it is them doing the 5 year and 20 year plan for our company----because I have enough trouble balancing my checkbook--weekly (maybe monthly)

O

ok2bclever

Where did you get it was limited to compensation for dedication?

And if so, who is more dedicated, the guy struggling to work with nagging back pain and bad knees who carries the package up the stairs and into the house for an old lady and plugs away for ten hours a day and returns to "how come it took you so long" for less than 70, 000 a year or the exec who works in an air conditioned office with monogrammed toast for a plus 3 million dollars in salary and languishing stock shares?

Sorry, my money is not on eskew, errr, well, apparently it is, at least that part invested in UPS stock.
biggrin.gif

The bottom line regarding not being his personal assistant, hey wait a minute! He gets a personal assistant too!?! and that isn't even counted in his total compensation package I bet.

Anyway, the bottom line is even if he was working 24/7 and he most certainly is not, the man isn't even close to 3 million plus per year and rising more dedicated than those "lowly" drivers.

T

toonertoo

I have nothing to say bad about anyone, all I know is we all suffer and sacrifice for our pay. And it should not be that way. To the extent it has become. Sacrifice is always a part of getting ahead. I sacrificed when I went to college, and my children were young. But the hours, hourly and management, no way give you the option to be a meaningful parent. And I feel that is wrong.
It is too late for me to be a parent, and by the Grace of God, I did not get a driving job til my kids were grown, so I guess thanks so much for unanswered prayers. If my grandkids lived here I would only see them on weekends, I could not have imagined being in this job and having young children. For those that are, God Bless You, and I hope you all have great spouses. Yes the money is great and they will have all the material things, but you wont be there to buy them. And you will have money to pay all the bills. But in the end, will you be fulfilled with what you were able to provide, or will you be thinking of the would have, could have should have? It is a very important part of your life to give up for $$$$$. JMHO

U

upsdude

Wow, this thread has more turns than a country road.

I may have my head taken off for this but here goes. The UPS culture demands long hours, and many sacrifices. We miss ball games, birthday parties, or just the simple dinner with our families. I dont think any of us expect to be off work the exact same time everyday, but working 2-3 hours overtime everyday does little to promote good morale. Poor employee morale also harms the companys growth, be it UPS or any other company. I think the current problem with excessive overtime began many years ago. If you look back, Jim Casey was never married, never had children, all he had to do was work. He never missed a childs birthday party, never missed a childs school program. He never had to miss taking his wife to dinner on her birthday or an anniversary. He never missed a special event involving his grand kids. All he had to do was work. Im sure he expected those around him to work as well. He built a great company. I often wonder what he would think of UPS today. Im sure he would be proud of the many accomplishments UPS has on its corporate resume. I do wonder what he would think of the morale of his employees.

I dont know what the union will push as its number 1 issue next contract, but I do see excessive/forced overtime as a huge player.

F

formerbrown

UPSDUDE is right, but here is another thought to ponder. I didn't like the "part timer's becoming union" idea when it was introduced. But the union limited the type of driving they could do. The daily routes today go far longer than the 8:30 to 2:00 deliveries and the 2:30 to 5:00 metros. Air drivers can cover the late air pickups but contract still says that ground work is full time work. Somewhere, sometime, someone has to address the fact that UPS needs to have part time drivers to cover the late ground and air pickups. I know that NO-One wants to stand up for that one, but until it happens, you are going to see long days. The centers don't want to start drivers later because of the air, and face it - do you want to start early and go home late or start late and go home late? Production issues won't go away. Customers want early deliveries and late pickups. I don't saee any other solution to the that end.

O

over9five

"..but I do see excessive/forced overtime as a huge player."

I don't. Its an issue that won't make the union any money. The unions biggest issue in 2008 is going to be saving the union.

"...but until it happens, you are going to see long days."

Total BS. We're out there late because we're doing our last 30 HOUSECALLS after the last pickup. It has nothing to do with servicing late pick-ups. It's corporate greed.

S

speeddemon

I to, have my right to express my opinion. I cannot stand the holier than thou attitude that some have in management. Sorry for the abruptness, but I call it how I see it.

T

tieguy

I totally disagree with what you stated earlier ( not regarding your right to speak).

"By your definition only management is dedicated to this company and frankly while that sounds wonderful for your husband, ."

I don't. If you reread her post I don't see where she ever said management was the only ones dedicated to the company. It appears to me she was pretty specific about the sacrifices her husband made ( her too).

T

tieguy

"Anyway, the bottom line is even if he was working 24/7 and he most certainly is not, the man isn't even close to 3 million plus per year and rising more dedicated than those "lowly" drivers."

Geez Ok what are you trying to do here start a class warfare thread. Now you're injecting the term lowly in quoatation marks in your phrase. Could you please provide us with the person who you are quoting and the original quote.

to the rest of the posters here I think we need to get off this class warfare line of BS. We all work hard. For some of us the work is more physical for others more mental stress. The us vs them is destructive. The brown company I know and love makes us all work hard. Eskew works hard too. And eskew is basically working 24/7 since he can't walk away when the 5 pm bell sounds. If any of us had wanted the job we could have dug in and gone after it. I know I don't want his job.

W

wkmac

We're all slaves and serfs so shut up and get back to WORK!!!!!! You have taxes due so you have no time to rest.

Here is your true master.

Viewed best while humming the Darth Vader theme song.

http://www.aoc.gov/

jester.gif

S

spidey

I agree, this gets us nowhere. Spend a day with an On Road Sup, a Driver, a center manager, a Loader, An OMS, a Customer Center Clerk, a Janitor. You will have a new appreciation for your own job.

People have been saying it for thousands of years: Walk a mile in my shoes. A caste system is ignorant. We are a company that works because most of us are working as fast as we can as hard as we can every day. That means all of us. That's what One Company means to me.

S

susiedriver

Tieguy,

You don't give orders here. Try the 'find' feature on your browser to find the original "lowly".

After nearly 30 years at Big Brown, I think I'm qualified to say that some folks at UPS work harder than others. Usually the higher up you are the less you do. Stress? A driver has more stress than a division mgr, IMHO. Both physical & mental.

U

upsdawg

Sorry Susie----I've been here 32 years and if you are talking stess, I would pick the Div Manager over the driver......anyday of the week!!

The Div mgr is getting their butts kicked several times a day by the District Manager---who in turn kicks the Center Manager's butts!!

We have had 3 Div Mgr/Center Managers go on stress leave in the last 6 months----their hearts are beating irratically becasue of the stess of their job-------and it is their choice--so they have some persnal decisions to make.....step down and live, or continue and die on the job----and make someone else who will get all of their stock rich.
As for myself-----I took the road less traveled and Lord willing I will be able to retire and live to see my grandchildren grow into adulthood!

S

susiedriver

Sorry Dawg,

A driver has much more pressure, and a much lower rate of return on investment. I've seen more drivers leave for stress than managers, and more drivers leave for physical reasons.

When's the last time you had to drive 75 miles and deliver 20 airstops in an hour and a half? Then get a warning notice and have your job threatened because the last one was late?

This ol' gal don't buy what you're selling, sorry.

O

ok2bclever

" You go ahead and jump into mgmt. and you can have it too. If you don't want it, then quit griping about a compensation for folks who work their butts off, dedicated themselves to a company with character and make a lifelong career at UPS. It's not for everyone."

That seems to pretty clearly imply that dedication and compensation for the same is management territory only.

Perhaps moreluck wasn't meaning it that way, but that is the way it sounded from these shoes.

I used the "" out of laziness in place of italics as italics,etc commands are awkward if not using them directly at the end of what you have typed so far.

I apologize for the shortcut if you thought I meant I was quoting as I was adding the adjective that I felt was being applied by several here rather than a direct quote, my bad.

As far as class warfare, you are the first one to bandy such words and I am not interested in using trite labels.

I simply believe the CEOs make too much money ( I also believe sports athletes make too much money), you can believe whatever you want as well.

As far as 24/7, it doesn't really matter as I stated even if he does (he doesn't regardless of what you say or how you define it) it's simply too much money.

Whether you or I don't want the job is not a factor.

I believe the laws are too lenient on drunk drivers and sex offenders.

The fact that neither of us are interested in becoming those things either doesn't preclude having an opinion about them any more than having an opinion about a CEO's compensation.

I have been impressed by your posts of late let's not go back down that juvenile road together and agree to disagree instead.

A

air_upser

Can we at least accept there is stress in every job? Everyone may laugh when I say I'm in IT, but when the network or servers go down, the packages don't get sorted. 400,000 air packages sitting on belts with all eyes on you is a lot of stress! Clever- apparently I need to further my education on the roll on-road sups before I open my mouth, sorry! :-)

S

susiedriver

OK2B,

I get a chuckle out of 24/7.

Ive been out nearly two years, and still get an occasional nightmare about boxes! Would that qualify for 24/7? LOL!

O

ok2bclever

No problem air, I agree every job comes with stress, it's built into the system.

Every part of the system.
thumbsup.gif

Susie, speaking of that, I haven't been a driver since '91, fourteen years . . .

And two Thursday nights ago in the second of two weeks of vacation I wake up in the middle of the night from one of those stupid "it's almost five o'clock pm, the package car is still almost full of commercial deliveries and I just remembered I forgot to start that twenty-two stop metro pickup run that I haven't ever had before and I don't know how I got into this predicament, but the boss ain't gonna understand and what am I gonna do!" dreams.

I lay there shaking my head and thinking this company has truly psychologically scarred me for life to still be having driving dreams in the middle of a vacation fourteen years after walking away from the position.

That would be 24/7/365 I guess.
biggrin.gif