Progression pay

US0352

Feeder
Manny is a steward in the building that don is in.

At the next panel you will be part of 400 or so progression grievances to be heard on top of the new cases and all of the company holds from this last week, it might take to xmas from the 11th to have it heard.

Is that nation wide our just your local?

gandydancer

Well then give me the 36 month progression and not the 30 month. The difference between the 2 is about 20 a week for 6 months.

No, you keep the 30 month. But the 36 month wouldn't help you, would it? "The rate in effect on July 31, 2002 will be used to calculate the progression rates for the life of this Agreement..."

Maybe some of us don't like traditions and want to start new ones. Glad to see you are in the "old tradition". Let me guess......your a steward?

No, though a lot of co-workers treat me like one. But the new contract was very much in that tradition. You could have helped "start a new tradition" by voting against it for that reason. Did you?

US0352

Feeder
No, you keep the 30 month. But the 36 month wouldn't help you, would it? "The rate in effect on July 31, 2002 will be used to calculate the progression rates for the life of this Agreement..."

Actually yes the 36 month would be better. I would make more money right now when I need it.

No, though a lot of co-workers treat me like one. But the new contract was very much in that tradition. You could have helped "start a new tradition" by voting against it for that reason. Did you?
No I didn't get a vote because I was not hired on as full time when it was going on. I was seasonal. But trust me, even when I am a 20 year driver, I will vote against anything that is going to screw over the junior guys......I never forget where I came from. But it seems everybody else has. :sad2:

Last edited:

Dark_Team_135

Well then give me the 36 month progression and not the 30 month. The difference between the 2 is about 20 a week for 6 months.

I wonder if this new language actually allows employees in progression before August 1, 2008 to go back down to a 24 month progression and only slap the ones that enter after that date with the 36 month progression with the higher starting rate? That would help to justify not allowing those in progression to slot into the new pay scale.

US0352

Feeder
I wonder if this new language actually allows employees in progression before August 1, 2008 to go back down to a 24 month progression and only slap the ones that enter after that date with the 36 month progression with the higher starting rate? That would help to justify not allowing those in progression to slot into the new pay scale.

You don't get any options. We were hired with a 30 month progression and new contract is 36, with a higher rate of pay through out the progression.

705red

Browncafe Steward
"The rate in effect on July 31, 2002 will be used to calculate the progression rates for the life of this Agreement...

Article 41 Section 2 (c) of the prior Agreement shall remain in effect for all employees in that progression as of the date of the ratification and those who enter the progression between the date of ratification and August 1, 2008."

The last step to full pay is a bigger one, but otherwise the effect of the new contract on your progression is nada.

Oh, and screwing fellow Teamsters without much seniority is not a change. It's traditional.
Gandy what you have in bold print is in the contract to insure that all of our progressionary drivers saty under the current 30 month progression time table. What i have in bold print is to insure that no one that was under progression shall make less than new drivers going into progression. I also checked my notes from our negotitions and i am correct, that our intent was not to have junior drivers making more than senior drivers.

FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 1. Full-time Wage Increases
All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2002 2008 will receive the
following general wage increases for each contract year. In each of the years, the increase shall be
paid in two (2) equal installments. The first-half of the increase shall become effective on August 1
of the specified year. The second half of the increase shall become effective on February 1 of the
following calendar year. The total wage increase for the year will be as follows:
2008 seventy cents ($0.70)
2009 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2010 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2011 eighty-five cents ($0.85)
2012 ninety –five cents ($0.95)
August 1, 2002 Seventy-five cents per hour ($.75)
August 1, 2003 Seventy-five cents per hour ($.75)
August 1, 2004 Eighty cents per hour ($.80)
August 1, 2005 Eighty cents per hour ($.80)
August 1, 2006 Ninety cents per hour ($.90)
August 1, 2007 One dollar per hour ($1.00)

Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the
above contractual increases. They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with
Article 41, Section 2 below
Section 2. Full-time Wage Progression
a. All Supplements, Riders or Addenda will contain the following wage progression schedule to cover
all full-time employees, except apprentices, who are in the progression as of August 1, 2002 2008. or
who enter a full-time job after August 1,2002 other than package, feeder, air or one covered by Section 3
below. This two (2) year progression will also remain in effect from the date this Agreement
becomes effective until August 1, 2008 for those employees entering during this period a full-time
job other than package, feeder, air or one covered by Section 3 below.
The rate in effect on July 31, 2002 will be used to calculate the progression rates for the life of this
Agreement.
Rate in Effect
on July 31, 2002
Start 70%
Seniority 75%
Seniority Date plus one (1) year 80%
Seniority Date plus eighteen (18) months 90%
Seniority Date plus two (2) years Top Rate
Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2002, who subsequently are promoted to full-time
employment under this progression, will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate
exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the
above progression.
When a part-time employee bids to a full-time classification under this progression where the top rate of
the full-time classification is less than his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of
the new classification immediately.
b. No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one time even if he or
she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an
employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job
which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the
employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The
employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article
40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same
break-in period.
c. The progression for employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job
(other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2002 2008
shall be as follows:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Thank God somebody else is talking about this. I found this in the contract and brought it to our local (243). All I have heard out of them so far is "We have a call in to hall". We have heard that for 3 months or more now. Our steward could care less about it. He laughs and says "you guys are going to lose that grievance." I call the hall at least once a week regarding this and same answer every time. Instead we have seasonals making the same as us, and if they get hired they will make more. We are at 16.08, and 75% of current scale is 21 and change. I really hope 705 gets this handled, then maybe we will have a leg to stand on. As of right now this only effects 5 of us new guys, so we get treated like dirt. What happened to a Teamster is a Teamster? Not a Teamster with 20 years has more right than a Teamster with 1?
If your local wont go to bat for you on this, i believe that you should go and file a complaint with the national labor relations board and the department of labor. Let the union and the company explain why they wont live up to their end of the contract!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Is that nation wide our just your local?
Its just my local, and it appears to be around 200 grievances not the original 400 that i had posted.

The company is in disagreement with us on this and they have asked us to call the national? Why would we call the national? We negotiated separate and know what we meant by adding this language that the company was trying to keep out.

We will wind up going through the arbitration process like usual, but we also added article 17 for penalty pay which is 4 hours per week for well over a year if it goes to arbitration. CHA CHING!

What'dyabringmetoday???

Red-if the intent was as you stated previously about junior drivers not making more than senior drivers in progression, then why was the language included stating that drivers in progression as of ratification stay under the progression of the last contract?? Seems that it could have stated that as of August 1, 2008 all drivers in progression will now change into the new progression and that way everyone would be on the same schedule. Perhaps I am wrong on this, but I feel that it could have been handled differently. Of course, there are many examples of poor language throughout the contract. I have a feeling someone sold out. Well, actually the entire contract was a sell out. Not complaining about my wages or benefits, but there is a lot of things that got slipped by because several people, in my opinion, chose to vote without reading the proposed changes. Things are much worse for most other workers across the country, but it seems to be getting a little out of control around the Brown.

Well, maybe he knows something we dont, after all his uncle did help write the national contract on managements side. Right now I'm at the 12 month period in my progression, make $16.80 an hour thats 80% of what you guys made in 97 or 98 right? Just seems like a no brainer.

i make 11.70 fu

change that im sorry untill i make xx.xx i will not work

Last edited:
Red-if the intent was as you stated previously about junior drivers not making more than senior drivers in progression, then why was the language included stating that drivers in progression as of ratification stay under the progression of the last contract?? Seems that it could have stated that as of August 1, 2008 all drivers in progression will now change into the new progression and that way everyone would be on the same schedule. Perhaps I am wrong on this, but I feel that it could have been handled differently. Of course, there are many examples of poor language throughout the contract. I have a feeling someone sold out. Well, actually the entire contract was a sell out. Not complaining about my wages or benefits, but there is a lot of things that got slipped by because several people, in my opinion, chose to vote without reading the proposed changes. Things are much worse for most other workers across the country, but it seems to be getting a little out of control around the Brown.

ups=18-21....ouch

gandydancer

Gandy what you have in bold print is in the contract to insure that all of our progressionary drivers saty under the current 30 month progression time table. What i have in bold print is to insure that no one that was under progression shall make less than new drivers going into progression. I also checked my notes from our negotitions and i am correct, that our intent was not to have junior drivers making more than senior drivers.

...which you follow with a large undigested quote which, therefor or however, doesn't make your point. Dunno what the 705 negotiations can have to do with the meaning of the language in the master, btw.

Anyway, the language says that all percentages in both pre- and post-8/08 package driver progressions refer to the July 31, 2002 rate, and only the former have gotten and will get the general wage increases (hence getting wage increases three times a year) so you'll have to give me an example of how a pd with less seniority can be paid more than someone with more, because I'm not seeing it.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and would be happy to see you right. But you're not convincing me so far.

jasyatz

I'm in a similiar situation. Hired PT 1/27/07 transfered to FT driver 6/26/08. Was told a 30 month progression under the old contract because your TRANSFER date is the start date of your full time employement not your seniority date (which would have been 8/5/08).
I popped the data into a spread sheet (which I can email anyone for their information) figured it out on a 45 hour work week and after 3 years (36 months with the old contract rate and the new) comes out almost even. I did not take into accout ANY COLA increase but did add in the 6 month top rate increases untill my progression ends.

I have read the ENTIRE contract and carry the book with me.

One question I have is I was told I am NOT eligible for an option week of vacation this year becasue my FT date is after May 1. I was told by my OLD Steward this is not true but have yet to talk to my new steward regarding it. From reading the contract , Option weeks of vacation are calculated from Hire date, not start date so I would be eligible because I have more than 1 year of total employment with UPS, and was hired BEFORE May 1 of the previous year. If I understand the contract correctly, I should also get 1 year of part time credit towards my pension.

If it helps, this year I was able to collect on the triple time day while under FULL TIME progression.

Thanks for the input.

Kevin211

I'm in battle over this also I'm a feeder driver making 15.75.(Local Union want to follow the pay progression and put me in at 75% of top rate)
Do we get the raises that are in the contract every 6 months? I was told no but my center, but i said it's a contracual raise which i'm entiled to. Please some one tell me the truth....

gandydancer

I'm in battle over this also I'm a feeder driver making 15.75.(Local Union want to follow the pay progression and put me in at 75% of top rate)
Do we get the raises that are in the contract every 6 months? I was told no but my center, but i said it's a contracual raise which i'm entiled to. Please some one tell me the truth....

As a ft hire under the new contract with seniority, but less than 1 yr in, you make 75% of the top rate "in Effect on July 31, 2002" (look at the top of the progression column). Top rates are specified in the regional contracts. If the top rate was $21.00 on July 31, 2002 in your region, then $15.75 now is correct. If it wasn't, it's not. Or so it seems to me.

Also, "
ARTICLE 41. FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES

Section 1. Full-Time Wage Increases All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2008 will receive the following general wage increases..."

So, what's your seniority date?