Progression pay

Kevin211

My seniority date is June 12, 2008... But according to the contract (see above post) Feeder Drivers,Pakage car drivers are not included in the pay progreesion (thats the way i read it)
If you go by the pay progression and using the wage chart from 2002, I should be making 16.71 @75% (top rate is some where around 23.56.)not the 15.75 i'm being payed now...
All i'm looking for is a straight answer for my wage nothing more.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm in battle over this also I'm a feeder driver making 15.75.(Local Union want to follow the pay progression and put me in at 75% of top rate)
Do we get the raises that are in the contract every 6 months? I was told no but my center, but i said it's a contracual raise which i'm entiled to. Please some one tell me the truth....

You fall under the old contract , and yes you are in a progression - it's 2.5 years....you'd be making more (16.90 is it? someone correct me) if you were hired After August 1st, but would endure the longer progression before jump to top rate.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You fall under the old contract , and yes you are in a progression - it's 2.5 years....you'd be making more (16.90 is it? someone correct me) if you were hired After August 1st, but would endure the longer progression before jump to top rate.
That is not correct, if you read the contract it says that no one will make less than the pay scale below and all in progression will get the bi-annual raises. At the end of article 41 it reads that all drivers currently in progression will stay under current progression. This is something the IBT is not fighting.

Ups is dragging this out and several drivers have said they are thinking about going to the Illinois wage commission. I have asked them to hold of until late January when we meet again. But i will more than be happy to go with them to correct this wrong!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is not correct, if you read the contract it says that no one will make less than the pay scale below and all in progression will get the bi-annual raises. At the end of article 41 it reads that all drivers currently in progression will stay under current progression. This is something the IBT is not fighting.

Ups is dragging this out and several drivers have said they are thinking about going to the Illinois wage commission. I have asked them to hold of until late January when we meet again. But i will more than be happy to go with them to correct this wrong!

work now and grieve later. Therefore, what I said is technically correct. If the person making under the minimum for new drivers, then that's how it is because that' show UPS wants it. You can't say that because the contract says something that's the way it must go. We all know that.

Re-read what I wrote. Nowhere did I mention "fairness", "what should be", or etc

gandydancer

If your hire date is after 8/1/08 you make $16.10 to start, $17.25 at seniority, with annual raises to $18.45, $20.75 and Top Rate. (Article 41, Sec. 2(c)) The old contract rates were $14.70, $15.75, $16.80, $18.90, then only six months to Top Rate, but if you are in that progression you also get the general contract increases.

Which means that Red was right, I was wrong... but it was a lot simpler than his argument made out. Ah, well.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
They're seemingly randomly applying the GWI to us pt (Local 705) in progression. Most of us got it, but a significant number of eligible employees didn't. The grievance has been filed. (And then there are the pt air drvrs in progression who get nothing-no GWI, no increase in starting wage. At least their progression is much shorter)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If your hire date is after 8/1/08 you make $16.10 to start, $17.25 at seniority, with annual raises to $18.45, $20.75 and Top Rate. (Article 41, Sec. 2(c)) The old contract rates were $14.70, $15.75, $16.80, $18.90, then only six months to Top Rate, but if you are in that progression you also get the general contract increases.

Which means that Red was right, I was wrong... but it was a lot simpler than his argument made out. Ah, well.

Yeah, the old contract - and that's the correct answer - but even so, UPS doesn't have to oblige there either. I could see this person making 15.75 until 1 year then 16.80 and 18.90 AND doing a 3 year progression. UPS is ridiculous enough that it would not surprise me at all.

705red

Browncafe Steward

What you said here is that since you were in progression before 8/1/08 you are not entitled to the new wage scale, which is false.

Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the
above contractual increases. They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with
Article 41, Section 2 below

c. The progression for employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job
(other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2002 2008
shall be as follows:
Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25
Twelve (12) months $18.45
Twenty-four (24) months $20.75
Thirty-six (36) (current top rate) Top Rate

work now and grieve later.

I must have missed something? Did anyone say that there would be a work stoppage over this?

Therefore, what I said is technically correct. If the person making under the minimum for new drivers, then that's how it is because that' show UPS wants it. You can't say that because the contract says something that's the way it must go. We all know that.

What i have quoted is the new contract language! not sure why you think I'm speaking of old language?

Absolutely you can say and defend the contract language! I see you are newer on here and not aware that i was on the negotiating team here in our local 705. And i personally made it a point that the newer drivers should not make more than senior progression drivers. That's why our language reads different than the national to insure this.

I was not against the new 3 year progression because no one is waiting 5 to 8 years to go driving here anymore and most of our drivers are just around a year. I hate to wait a total of 8 years from starting ptime to hit top scale.

Re-read what I wrote. Nowhere did I mention "fairness", "what should be", or etc

We all know that ups will violate the contract at will hoping not to get challenged! Now i do not understand why the national is rolling over on this, well of course i do, the card check agreement with ups freight and the cs pension buy out! But the ibt is selling out the rest of the country and we here are fighting for roughly 200 drivers!

The contract is clear in its language as i have quoted above, if it was anymore clear my 2 year old would be able to decipher it! My 6 year old read it and explained to me what it meant! But grown man with college degrees must have failed simple English or is counting on the ibt putting their foot down on us!

If the ibt steps in the drivers and myself will take it through the legal system against ups and the teamsters if we have to. The members voted on this language and our entitled to what they voted on, I'm sorry if you are not able to grasp that some unions actually care for the members!

705red

Browncafe Steward

I think you are still missing my point gandy. The drivers that obtained seniority prior to 8/1/08 are entitled to stay under the 2.5 year progression while still being bumped up to the new pay scale and getting the bi-annual raises.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What you said here is that since you were in progression before 8/1/08 you are not entitled to the new wage scale, which is false.

Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the
above contractual increases. They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with

c. The progression for employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job
(other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2002 2008
shall be as follows:
Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25

We all know that ups will violate the contract at will hoping not to get challenged! Now i do not understand why the national is rolling over on this, well of course i do, the card check agreement with ups freight and the cs pension buy out! But the ibt is selling out the rest of the country and we here are fighting for roughly 200 drivers!

The contract is clear in its language as i have quoted above, if it was anymore clear my 2 year old would be able to decipher it! My 6 year old read it and explained to me what it meant! But grown man with college degrees must have failed simple English or is counting on the ibt putting their foot down on us!

If the ibt steps in the drivers and myself will take it through the legal system against ups and the teamsters if we have to. The members voted on this language and our entitled to what they voted on, I'm sorry if you are not able to grasp that some unions actually care for the members!

But your mind, nor your 2 year old, can wrap your brain around the fact that he is recieving 15.75$ despite the contract language, for a reason....because UPS does whatever it wants to...that's my point...IBT representatives are sell-outs up here for one (and apparently other areas ), and even plain contract language the IBT ignores in favor of UPS...here's "likely" a great example.

705red

Browncafe Steward
But your mind, nor your 2 year old, can wrap your brain around the fact that he is recieving 15.75$ despite the contract language, for a reason....because UPS does whatever it wants to...that's my point...IBT representatives are sell-outs up here for one (and apparently other areas ), and even plain contract language the IBT ignores in favor of UPS...here's "likely" a great example.
I agree, but we have filed over 200 individual grievances including penalty pay on direct order from our local union.

Now we will just let the grievance procedure work.

Kevin211

I hope for an answer on this because we have 5 new drivers under the old contract (all hired a month apart) and can not get a straight answer from no one in reguards to this matter.
Myself as being on of the new drivers and one that has been causing alot of trouble in reguards to the contract and issues with it. I've read and re-read the book so many times, I do have a good union steward and he gave me his personal copy of the old contract to look at.
I'm about to give up on my battle about the progression and contractual raises, because they just say doesn't apply to you.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Kevin i hope you have filed a grievance, if not your probably untimely seeing your contract was settled last year. But you do have options, nlrb, dol and bring it to your state wage commision.

01focus

what is this "penalty pay" that i keep hearing about?. My steward nor his alternate hae never mentioned such a phrase and they file grievances on a weekly basis

705red

Browncafe Steward
Article 17. Paid for time
Article 17

Paid for Time
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer.
Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time
that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively
released from duty. All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving
federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the
Employer.

The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate
compensation.

Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the
workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer
will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or
Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and
fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made
available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after
reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second
scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an
additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for
every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until
corrected.

Errors of less than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees or fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time
employees and overages will be corrected in the following weekly paycheck.
Any grievance settlement not paid within ten (10) working days of the settlement shall entitle the
grievant (s) to a penalty payment as outlined above. The ten (10) working day period shall begin
to run when the Labor Department representative agrees to the settlement, or is notified by the
Union or management team of the settlement. The Employer shall pay a maximum of one penalty
payment for a multi-grievant grievance, which shall be subject to the additional penalties set forth
above for untimely payment, until corrected.

When an employee notifies the Employer in writing of any ongoing overpayment, the employee’s
increasing liability will cease five (5) working days after the date of the written notification. The
notification shall be provided to the employee’s immediate supervisor or manager.
All employees must receive their vacation pay in a separate check before taking vacation.
Vacation checks for an employee, who is taking a properly scheduled vacation in accordance with
the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum, will be at the operating center on Monday of the
week prior to the employee’s vacation week(s). This is to ensure that the employee receives his/her
pay prior to taking his/her vacation. The employee will be shown his/her check upon request, but
will not receive the check until the regular scheduled pay day.

All green checks will be taxed at the employee’s regular withholding tax rate.

Paycheck stubs will show the year-to-date vacation, sick and personal leave balances.​

WyoBrown

Red, according to your posts: If I gained seniority 03/08 and my current hourly rate is 16.10, this is incorrect? I should be making 17.25 post August 1, 2008?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, according to your posts: If I gained seniority 03/08 and my current hourly rate is 16.10, this is incorrect? I should be making 17.25 post August 1, 2008?
If your seniority date was 3/08 as of 8/1/08 your pay should have been bumped up to $17.60 if you include the contractual raise, that is how the contract reads. I understand that some of the contract went in to effect immediately lasy year for some of you, however the wages went into effect as of 8/1/08.

shall be as follows:
Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25