Promoted!! A UPS salesman I am!!

hudson

I agree. I am not a salesman. They pay me to deliver boxes. They work me til 8 or 9pm at least on most nights doing this. . They dont care about me and Im ok with that. I know what Im involved with in this job so I do my best and they pay me. Nuff said; we have sales people to do that job. I never seem to see them at 9pm when I get back to the center. Maybe they need to work more hours to get that volume.

Maybe if you turned in some leads we could hire more drivers then you would not have to work until 8 or 9 pm.....We are not asking you to be a salesman, we asking you for a company name, address, contract name and phone number..that's it. We pay you deliver boxes because the sales people win the volume, without sales people you have no boxes to deliver. We all need to do our part to protect our jobs.

browndevil

Maybe if you turned in some leads we could hire more drivers then you would not have to work until 8 or 9 pm.....We are not asking you to be a salesman, we asking you for a company name, address, contract name and phone number..that's it. We pay you deliver boxes because the sales people win the volume, without sales people you have no boxes to deliver. We all need to do our part to protect our jobs.
Hudson are you in BD? Last night as I was walking out a fellow driver was telling me one of our national accounts that normally ships 300 pieces daily used FEDEX yesterday. Why? The printer has been down since Tuesday and no one in BD or our Center team did anything nor could they care as he was standing around waiting for them off the clock to let them know again.
There is a lot of frustration about lack of follow up. The leads have been submited, customers are ready to sign we just can't get BD to make a call.
I am not harping on you I am just as frustrated too and want to see us ALL grow the business and get our layed off co-workers back on the road:happy2:

tourists24

Maybe if you turned in some leads we could hire more drivers then you would not have to work until 8 or 9 pm.....
Boy have I heard that one before. Maybe if they put some of the laid off drivers back on the road I wouldnt have to work til 8 or 9.
We pay you deliver boxes because the sales people win the volume, without sales people you have no boxes to deliver. We all need to do our part to protect our jobs.
And that's exactly what I do. I deliver the volume you gain. I do my part. It's your job to do your part[/quote]

hudson

And that's exactly what I do. I deliver the volume you gain. I do my part. It's your job to do your part
[/quote]
And that's exactly what I do. I win volume from the competition from the sales the drivers submit. I do my part. I am just asking for the drivers to submit sales leads so our center can stop sending home drivers every morning. I think it's a win/win situation.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sometimes these people come across like religious fanatics.
I was once told by center manager that turning in sales leads was a condition of my employment. All he was concerned with was his participation %.
This was years ago. Hadn't turned one in up to that point. Still haven't turned one in.
Still employed at UPS.

P.S. I'm not stupid. I realize that the companies success and my success is tied to our customer base. I was not initially indignant. My route happens to be in the hood and there is simply nothing out there. No need to waste the sales dept time following up on bogus leads to make a number for the center manager. Now in light of management tactics...I'm glad there is nothing out there so I can appear indignant.
:surprised:

And that's exactly what I do. I win volume from the competition from the sales the drivers submit. I do my part. I am just asking for the drivers to submit sales leads so our center can stop sending home drivers every morning. I think it's a win/win situation.[/quote]

No, the win/win is when you get off of your well fed behind and get out there yourself. You expect me to bust my behind doing what I do, and then come in and hand you sales leads, like you're some sort of king/Queen? I don't think so! You want it, go out there and get it yourself. I make your job easier by being a damned good representative of this company. I've already softened up your "target", go get em.

hudson

:surprised:

And that's exactly what I do. I win volume from the competition from the sales the drivers submit. I do my part. I am just asking for the drivers to submit sales leads so our center can stop sending home drivers every morning. I think it's a win/win situation.

No, the win/win is when you get off of your well fed behind and get out there yourself. You expect me to bust my behind doing what I do, and then come in and hand you sales leads, like you're some sort of king/Queen? I don't think so! You want it, go out there and get it yourself. I make your job easier by being a damned good representative of this company. I've already softened up your "target", go get em.[/quote]

Believe it or not there are a lot of "targets" out there that we don't know about. That's why we need you, the drivers, to tell us about them. I don't expect you to hand me sales lead like because I am a king or queen. I would like you to submit a sales lead so together we can grow the business and keep everyone in this company working. Your attitude of you do your job and I do my job and leave me the hell alone is not helping during these though economic times. We need to work together so we all can keep our jobs. That is the win/win.

If you really believe that you are way too naive to be working at UPS.
If a center has, let's say 70 drivers on road daily and each one picked up one new PU stop with..25-50 pieces, how many more drivers would be working? 3? 2? 1?....no, no, and no....not one route would be added. So tell me, how many new pickup accounts shipping how many packages do you think would have to be turned in and then sold to create even one more route on the road?
Don't get me wrong, I do believe in turning in a sales lead when I can. I believe in helping to grow the business, but stop trying to blow smoke up my britches leg.

steeltoe

I have been concerned about our company's future fora while. It is all about numbers these days. Back in the day, we had numbers to meet, but we also served our customers needs other than service. Granted, service is our number one agenda, but we no longer go the extra mile when it comes to the basics. What ever happened to "every truck, every day". Our vehicles are filthy. Our drivers use to be more involved with short conversation with the staff. We followed rules that helped our internal customers. Back in the day, every feeder had a retaining strap or bar, even if the load was 10%. Now, you open the doors and 80% of the time you are looking out for fallen packages. Customers fallen packages. What ever happend to "T L an A"? We established relationships, beyond the numbers. If you create relationships, the business will come.

A prime example of this is in the fast food service insustry. Chick-Fil-a follows the idea that their employee's and customers are to be treated as if they matter, beyond clocking out and the sales transaction. Their facilities are spotless. Their orders are correct and delivered with a smile. When you say thank you, they do not reply "No problem". They reply "My pleasure". Their emplyee's do not were baggy pants down their butt. Guess what, you pay more for their product, and you don't mind, because you know you will be treated with 100% customer service and they go the extra mile to make sure your experience with them is like no other in the industry.

They are closed on Sundays in order to guarantee every employee has the same day off to spend with family or go to church. No other food industry company is closed on Sunday. Think of the potential revenue lost due to this tradition. They were told they will never survive in the industry being closed on Sunday. Guess what, they have and their revenue was up 12.5% in the last year.

It is more than just meeting numbers these days. We have to create relationships both internally and externally.

hudson

So tell me, how many new pickup accounts shipping how many packages do you think would have to be turned in and then sold to create even one more route on the road?
Don't get me wrong, I do believe in turning in a sales lead when I can. I believe in helping to grow the business, but stop trying to blow smoke up my britches leg.

I can't give you an accurate answer to your question. But by not submitting any sales leads I can say that no new routes will be created.

hudson

Here is a quote from our CEO Scott Davis -

"Each time we add 40 new international packages in the United States -- in other words, 40 packages imported or exported by our customers -- we create another new U.S. job somewhere in our system.”

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

"Each time we add 40 new international packages in the United States -- in other words, 40 packages imported or exported by our customers -- we create another new U.S. job somewhere in our system.”

The way you say the red highlighted is sort of like you're brainwashed. Are you on the clock right now? Okay, none of my customers ship Intl.

UPSNewbie

Like I said in the thread that this originated in:

Sure. Forty packages from one shipper. With the probable possibility to go forty different places. One more packages per driver. Super.

Scott Davis was talking to Congress. Most of them don't have the intricate details of how a UPS operation works. He was loosening them up a bit to establish free trade.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Look, I can sum it for everybody. All they want from us drivers is more.
More and more every day, every week, every month, every year.
It's the same pathology that fuels the stock market.
I for one have no more to give.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Giving 10 guys 9 hours insatead of 10 would also create a route. This company has no intention of creating any routes, just asking for more.