Promotion?

Re-Raise

I am curious if there are any full-time hourly employees who would consider taking a full-time management position.

I never see it happen at my center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am curious if there are any full-time hourly employees who would consider taking a full-time management position.

I never see it happen at my center.

My on-car did it. He was a driver for 15 years before making the move. He has used the stock to put his three children through college and will use more to pay for his daughter's wedding in November. He has conceded that there have been far more negatives than positives and if he had to do it over again he would have said "Thanks, but no thanks."

Raw

Raw Member
My on-car did it. He was a driver for 15 years before making the move. He has used the stock to put his three children through college and will use more to pay for his daughter's wedding in November. He has conceded that there have been far more negatives than positives and if he had to do it over again he would have said "Thanks, but no thanks."
I`m sure he is happy you called him out on the World Wide Internet! :wink2:

Re-Raise

I think it would be great if we had more managers with driving experience. My center has probably been through 20 + managers and supervisors in the 25 years I have been there.

As far as I know none of them drove for more than a month or so.

I would like to have a manger who understood what we actually do. We have several full-time employees who have the education and skills to do it, but the incentive doesn't seem to be there.

How does the retirement work if someone goes into management after accumulating a number of years in the teamster pension plan?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does it change the number of years he needs to work?

I don't believe so. I admit that I don't have all of the information to answer that. I do know that an hourly cannot combine their union and mgt 401k's, which sucks because you then have two 401k's with lower balances when it would be much more beneficial to combine them and take full advantage of the compounding.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't believe so. I admit that I don't have all of the information to answer that. I do know that an hourly cannot combine their union and mgt 401k's, which sucks because you then have two 401k's with lower balances when it would be much more beneficial to combine them and take full advantage of the compounding.

Would that matter? Wouldn't 2 balances going up 20% be the same as one balance with double the amount going up 20%.

trickpony1

I know where there are some FT management openings.
A hub in my area had three center manager's just up and quit. I heard they got tired of the crap.

Re-Raise

I think some of the problems we have now come from the fact that most of the management people never actually did the job that they are responsible for supervising.

I know this is probably true in a lot of professions.

We currently have a dispatch supervisor who made the comment that he was tired of listening to drivers whine about their dispatch. He was a low seniority preloader who injured himself off the clock and could no longer preload.

He has no clue what we do , but he has a huge impact on our day. Of course he doesn't care how heavy we are.

I think anyone going from driver to manager would garner a lot more respect from the employees and maybe show a little more respect in return.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Would that matter? Wouldn't 2 balances going up 20% be the same as one balance with double the amount going up 20%.

True, but there may be duplicate fees by having two 401Ks. From a diversification stand point, there is some benefit in not having to many eggs in any one basket. Different plans offer different investment options. This may be a benefit also.

I think it would be great if we had more managers with driving experience. My center has probably been through 20 + managers and supervisors in the 25 years I have been there.

As far as I know none of them drove for more than a month or so.

I would like to have a manger who understood what we actually do. We have several full-time employees who have the education and skills to do it, but the incentive doesn't seem to be there.

How does the retirement work if someone goes into management after accumulating a number of years in the teamster pension plan?

A person that goes into management now has no defined benefit pension. They only have a 401k style pension. They would receive their union pension at retirement age if they are vested.

For those who went into management prior to 2008, years of union service counts toward the non-union pension. Minimum retirement age is 55 for non-union employees with a defined benefit pension. If the union employee is vested in the union pension and they receive a union pension, this amount is deducted from the non-union pension. Depending upon which union pension the employee is in and years of union service, the union pension may exceed the non-union pension. If so, there is no payout by the non-union pension. 401k has no effect on the pension payments for those included in the defined benefit plan.

Nimnim

The Nim
There's been a recent FT sup opening at my hub and through discussion the question came up, "If a 22.3 puts in their letter of intent do they get offered a FT sup position like a PC or feeder driver would?"

Knowing how weird 22.3 is at times I couldn't think of an answer, so anyone know?