Propane smell from PC - Haz Mat?

Small center, about 40 routes. I work up by unload. Two of us are Designated Responders. 1/2 way through preload, everyone smelled propane on the belt closet to the propane fill-up station. My experience with propane, is if it's leaking, it's just gonna form an ice blob. The feeder unloaders never mentioned a smell, and there was no package anyone could point out, so I really believed that it was the station or a truck, neither of which are packages. Seemed more like a management issue to me. Belt sup did nothing, everyone kept crying. I told them to man up and shut the belt off and leave the area then. They kept working and crying. Another sup came up, I asked if they were servicing the station or something. Sup said "I don't know, I'll go see" which meant "I'm in a Xanax haze so I'm just gonna wander off."
Finally one of the belt preloaders went to the office and the same sup just rolled her eyes at her. The preloader left the office and 2 FT on road sups were there, one of which is DR qualified. They went down, sniffed out the truck, and started it up and everything was fine. It was 95 here yesterday, 55 this morning, first cool day in 7 months. I know gasses do funny things when the weather changes. My question is, as a DR, should I have been everyone's mom, and the manager, and took total charge of the situation, only to get totally reamed later for doing that and killing production? Some of us had a little union meeting in the parking lot (minus the beer), and that's what I said. That they need to stand up for themselves, they should have shut the belt off and went outside. I don't want to be the bad guy all the time. I'm the only one who files grievances on my sort.
On a side note, that same belt sup came and got me once, saying a driver must have stepped in some dog doo and the truck really stinks, and that's hazardous. All I did was look at her and perfect my 30 second blank stare til she went away.

Last edited:
No
Propane blows up

Should have called the fire dept let the pros sort it out
Everyone should have evacuated, and me call the FD.
I would be hung out to dry. But might have saved lives if it was serious. I bet none of them foo's have life ins. I have the max. My hubby could retire! We even had a volunteer fire-kid there on the sort line. I asked him what he thought we should do, he just shrugged his shoulders.

I would have asked the volunteer fire kid if he would just shrug his shoulders if he detected that smell in his house.
I'm not from here. I'm from out of town. They don't grow em very bright down here, that's why I'm asking what I should have done to do it differently next time, just start barking orders and taking charge!

I'm not from here. I'm from out of town. They don't grow em very bright down here, that's why I'm asking what I should have done to do it differently next time, just start barking orders and taking charge!
Call the union hall and talk to the BA and explain the situation. He can tell you the correct way of doing things without getting yourself into trouble.

clean hairy

Not too bright to start up the PC, had there been even a slight spark from any of the electrical system,
KABOOM!!!
You are right, they are not very bright!

Not too bright to start up the PC, had there been even a slight spark from any of the electrical system,
KABOOM!!!
You are right, they are not very bright!
Thanks. I was just reading in the Federal Motot Carrier Safety DOT training how it could be really dangerous. I'll make sure I have it all documented and speak to the BA.

The proper procedure would have been to evacuate the building, open all the doors and allow the vapors to dissipate.
Well, our building is already pretty airy since it's a dumpy pieced-together tin shack and doors will be open for another couple months. The trucks on that belt are outside, backed up to the door. I'm just still in SHOCK that all the sups had there thumbs up their butts and the youngsters were looking to me to do something to save them. And I didn't. But I agree that we needed to scoot out of the area until the source was found.

I guess that's the question I'm trying to figure out. If I was a sup, thats what I would have done. But they didn't do anything. So, should I have? Next time I will. I don't care if they get up in my grill.
That's why we take all of that stupid hazmat training. Now make them use it.

Just like the last time I had a hazmat spill in my package car. Come get it, I'm not going anywhere.

I left the area , secured the vehicle and notified my supervisor.