Proper handling question.. broken dreams :(

RyNWA

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, the box itself may have been made out of 3/4" MDF, but the cover that was screwed on was definitely not 3/4" MDF. At most it looks to be 3/8" or even 1/4" MDF. IF this is the case, then your claim will more than likely be denied. If I took a piece of 1/4 or 3/8" MDF and dropped a 40 lb. box onto it with no support under it, the MDF would snap like a toothpick. Am i'm willing to bet something like this happened.

sorry the pic is upside down, from a friends phone, but it is 3/4". honestly not sure what kind of "wood" it is, been a long time but mdf has much smoother grain than that if i remember correctly.
20121118_180224[1].jpg

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I love bass... this speaker is an absolute BEAST. I wanted to get the most out of a small space, I drive a Kia Soul, not very much room. I've always wanted this particular speaker, I have mad respect for the company and the way they do things, hard to find things constructed by hand in the USA anymore.

I'll speak for the rest of the driving public. Turn that damn thing down. I really love getting an instant headache listening to that annoying bass.

UPSGUY72

Your sol on that speaker the sell is going receive any payment if UPS accepts the claim. Then the seller will have to reimburse you.

This is case where the seller was being to cheap to have the package packaged correctly because they didn't include the cost of shipping materials in the shipping price they listed.

The speaker should have been rapped in a couple on inches of bubble rap and isolated from the outside packaging.

The wooded creating wasn't needed if the package was rapped correctly.

If that is the case, I will start my claims process with eBay wich will result in the shipper paying for the repair or refunding me, or whatever, luckily I purchased off ebay. eBay buyer protection states buyers can make claims on items damaged in shipping. I really don't think this should cost that much to repair. I'm trying to find information to possibly do the repair myself but haven't had much time to do that.

In response to gotbrown, I could see that happening, I don't what the "belt" is but i can imagine in my head some sorta processing facility with lots of conveyors and stuff, lots of chances to fall. The crate was pretty shredded up, like maybe it fell, broke, and then everytime it got moved after that it just busted the crate up more and more.

If you claim It's broken to UPS they are going to pick it up package and either denied the claim or pay the claim and destroy the item or send it back to the shipper and pay the shipper $100 or the value of the item if insurance was brought on it.

You will not see the item again.

You will have deal with the shipper and eBay for your refund.

rod

Retired 22 years
Partical board and screws are about one step above tissue paper when its used for shipping. The only people who know how to get any strenghth at all out of partical board are those geniuses at IKEA.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Originally Posted by RyNWA
"I love bass... this speaker is an absolute BEAST. I wanted to get the most out of a small space, I drive a Kia Soul, not very much room. I've always wanted this particular speaker, I have mad respect for the company and the way they do things, hard to find things constructed by hand in the USA anymore."

We used to drive in Vegas with young granddaughters in the car.......windows rolled up because it's hot. A.C. on high and a car would be beside us at a light.....bass booming........and by the time the light changes I have a 5 yr old asking what a"ho" is or what a "mother" is.....or worse.

I hate the booming........I feel like putting my radio on a country station and blasting back......."On the road again....."

RyNWA

Originally Posted by RyNWA
"I love bass... this speaker is an absolute BEAST. I wanted to get the most out of a small space, I drive a Kia Soul, not very much room. I've always wanted this particular speaker, I have mad respect for the company and the way they do things, hard to find things constructed by hand in the USA anymore."

We used to drive in Vegas with young granddaughters in the car.......windows rolled up because it's hot. A.C. on high and a car would be beside us at a light.....bass booming........and by the time the light changes I have a 5 yr old asking what a"ho" is or what a "mother" is.....or worse.

I hate the booming........I feel like putting my radio on a country station and blasting back......."On the road again....."

I usually try not to be a d1ck when I'm at stop lights or congested slow moving traffic, especially if I see small kids, but most people who put subs in there cars do it for attention, music sounds horrible, you hear more rattle than anything, and it just plain sounds stupid. I know I get lumped in with those people with this hobby but that's not what car audio is all about. Best investment you can make for a stereo is sound deadening material like dynamat or similar product to keep the sound in/road noise out. I have kids, neighbors, can't have a personal concert hall in my home, but when I'm going place to place (without my kids obviously, i also drive my own vehicle for work, in it a lot), I can listen to music the way it is meant to be heard, relaxing, to me anyways..... and chicks dig it (i'm married, so my wife digs it... ya...).. duh lol

gingerkat

I usually try not to be a d1ck when I'm at stop lights or congested slow moving traffic, especially if I see small kids, but most people who put subs in there cars do it for attention, music sounds horrible, you hear more rattle than anything, and it just plain sounds stupid. I know I get lumped in with those people with this hobby but that's not what car audio is all about. Best investment you can make for a stereo is sound deadening material like dynamat or similar product to keep the sound in/road noise out. I have kids, neighbors, can't have a personal concert hall in my home, but when I'm going place to place (without my kids obviously, i also drive my own vehicle for work, in it a lot), I can listen to music the way it is meant to be heard, relaxing, to me anyways..... and chicks dig it (i'm married, so my wife digs it... ya...).. duh lol
You know what is great for sound deadening? EARBUDS

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
So the OP orders a 98 pound package and is home when it is delivered. Why didn't he offer to help the driver unload it? Thats a hernia causing weight right there, I have had three.

OptimusPrime

Really glad the "loud speaker" thing really didn't catch on. Not sure what else to call it. Basically a highly driven tweeter mounted somewhere in the front grill. So not only the annoying thump, but ear piercing vocals to match.

Buck Fifty

Particle board not sufficient for this weight or the screws put in it. This package was most likely damaged almost as soon as it was picked up. If not there, than in transit. Probable dropped somewhere along the way. The driver probably new it when he delivered it and left it anyway. Oh well, **** happens !!!

RyNWA

So the OP orders a 98 pound package and is home when it is delivered. Why didn't he offer to help the driver unload it? Thats a hernia causing weight right there, I have had three.

He parked in front of my driveway, so I had to pull around the side and when I was walking back up, he already had it most of the way out of the truck, I would have been glad to help him, I was eagerly awaiting the package and def didnt want it to be damaged, that's just a huge delay in my install process. I called the manufacturer this morning, they sell a product called wondergoo for $15 that the tech i spoke with said would probably be work to fix it my damage but it was already scheduled for pick up and I had to get to work right after I spoke with them. To get it reconed, which puts new "soft" parts on it is $280. Declared value of the package was $475. It was picked up this morning by the same guy, I was not home for the pick up, been checking the tracking number and it seems its going to be sent back to the shipper with the results of the claim as well. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, I've been emailing him just to keep him up to date with what I know on my end. Seems dumb that it be shipped back to the sender, if claim is denied, it should be the recipiants option to just have it sent back to not deal with having it shipped again here there and everywhere and possibly damaged more. I'm not trying to scam anybody, make a buck, I know what I payed for, I just want it in good, working, unpunctured condition.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will only ask the consignee to help as a last resort as the last thing I want is to report an injured customer.

I have customers who want to jump on the pkg car and help me. I jokingly tell them that if they get hurt I will end up flipping burgers at Mickey D's.

I don't let anyone on the car nor do I let customers help me.