Proper route Lockdown procedure Question

Brownsfan

Since we are union seniority should always prevail correct? My question is concerning the ability to lockdown a route. I know that a driver with his own route cannot lockdown another route, or bump another driver off his locked down route if his was cut. Well thats how they play it at our building in CA.

I want to know if a higher senority floater can bump the lower senority floater off his lockdown and lock it down for himself? This seems logical to me because he has more seniority. What does the contract language say? or how you handle it in your building?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Is "Locked Down" the same as a Bid Route? I would think that if a bid route is cut out then that driver could take a less senior driver's route.

Brownsfan

I am getting a strong feeling this is a west coast maybe even a local thing. A lock down and a bid route are 2 different things in our building. But in a way they are the same. The lockdown is a procedure that lets a full time floater/cover driver lock down a route for 30 days or untill the routes driver returns. The key to all of this is that the bid route driver has to be scheduled off for more than 6 days. If he is then you can lock it down before he returns. The problem with the process is guys sneak around and lock a route down so you cant bump them.. I dont mine that but what i do mined is the fact that its done in the shadows. It seems to me that this lockdown should have a bid list that is singed and then awarded. But if that doesnt work then a driver with more seniority should be able to over lock the lower driver. I will get a contract and scan it and show you the language.

UPSGUY72

I am getting a strong feeling this is a west coast maybe even a local thing. A lock down and a bid route are 2 different things in our building. But in a way they are the same. The lockdown is a procedure that lets a full time floater/cover driver lock down a route for 30 days or untill the routes driver returns. The key to all of this is that the bid route driver has to be scheduled off for more than 6 days. If he is then you can lock it down before he returns. The problem with the process is guys sneak around and lock a route down so you cant bump them.. I dont mine that but what i do mined is the fact that its done in the shadows. It seems to me that this lockdown should have a bid list that is singed and then awarded. But if that doesnt work then a driver with more seniority should be able to over lock the lower driver. I will get a contract and scan it and show you the language.

The cover drivers in my area are FT drivers. We don't have a choice of what route we run on any giving day. We only have the right to work.

You need to read your rider and see what it says about this.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We just had two bids for FT casuals. You float for two years. Have never heard the term 'lockdown', except when delivering to a prison.