Proper sick call

ups1990

Last sick call, I said the following, "I'am calling in sick". A fellow worker told me this was incorrect. You cant say I'am calling in sick, but rather I wont be in today because of illness. He was very adamant about it. I say there is no correct way only what comes to mind when you place the call.

Open a can of vegetable soup the call in. Say "I wont be in because I`ve been vomiting all day" and then hold the phone out as you dump the soup into a bowl and make hurling noises. Hang up,mic the soup,put in a movie and kickback.

City Driver

i always say im throwing up or ive been throwing up all night or something

they wouldnt want me puking in the yard while im pissing in it now would they?

bumped

When I call in I just say I'm not feeling well, so I'm calling in sick. I don't feel safe driving today. Management will not try and beg you to come in, because you may be unsafe behind the wheel.

65Goat

Whenever I call in sick, I say "I'm sick, I can't come to work today". This is followed by Sup. saying "Oh no, we have to have you." I then say "I'm sick, therefore I am uable to work." Their reply "No, we have to have you." I say "What do you not understand, I'm sick and can not possibly come to work." Then there is a 15 second silence. Sup. then says "You're really not coming in to work today?" I reply "No." They then slam the phone down and that easily it's over. :whiteflag:

NHDRVR

This actually happened...

Me - Hey, this is so-and-so. I won't be in, I'm not feeling well.

Sup - So, you're not coming in?

M - No, I have been up all night and I can't stay out of the bathroom so...

S - So,(pause) you're not coming in...

M - Well, no, like I said, I can't stay out of the bathroom long enough to do anything so, no, I am booking off...

(I know I should have hung up before this point, I was a rook)

S - So, you won't be in today??

M - No, I won't be in

S - Call me in a little bit...

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
What everyone has to understand about calling out sick is that its not a negotiation. You are calling to let your boss know you are not coming in. Your not asking him for the day off. You're letting him know via a courtesy call that you will not be in and he needs to make other arrangements to cover your trip/job. period.

Big Babooba

M - Well, no, like I said, I can't stay out of the bathroom long enough to do anything so, no, I am booking off...

M - No, I won't be in

Just go in. Make sure that you are really sick. At the PCM blow your cookies. Be sure you aim for his/her shoes. Then go home. That usually gets the message across.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave

M - No, I won't be in

yep. . . .I had this happen to me back when I was in packages. I called and told them I wouldn't be in. They told me to come in. I hung up the phone and rolled over and went back to sleep. Next day I came to work and all I can tell you is that I was real close to quiting and then beating the tar out of the on road sup and would have done it in front of the whole center at the PCM for the hassle I got. I don't know what he didn't understand about my telling him I wasn't coming in.

FOR ANYONE IN MANAGEMENT THAT IS READING THIS . . . . . A SICK CALL OUT IS NOT A NEGOTIATION, ITS A COURTESY CALL TO YOU SO YOU CAN MAKE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS. THE ALTERNATIVE TO THIS IS A NO CALL NO SHOW. Which would yo prefer?

P

pickup

I tried to do something visually here, it didn't work out. Sorry. I was trying to visually illustrate that as you tell them you are sick, put the phone back into the cradle so that the "click" noise is heard milliseconds after you deliver the message

overallowed

How early must you call in? 1 Hour before your sch start?
The last time I called in sick, it was treated as a negotiation call. I informed them of my condition (discharge coming out both ends). Was told to call back in 30 minutes. I told them this would be my only call. At 11:00 am, they noticed my package car hadn't moved, and called to see if I was coming in or not.
Draw your own conclusion.

Big Babooba

The last time I called in sick, I was very graphic with the description of my symptoms. I gave all the the gory details to my center manager. I spared nothing. Sizes, colors, textures, smells, sounds - nothing was held back.:sick: I'm sure that after I was finished, he went home sick.:happy-very: