Proper sick call

KidUPS

The last time I called in sick, it was treated as a negotiation call. I informed them of my condition (discharge coming out both ends). Was told to call back in 30 minutes. I told them this would be my only call. At 11:00 am, they noticed my package car hadn't moved, and called to see if I was coming in or not.
Draw your own conclusion.

Just curious and cannot recall my readings of the contract...but I think I remember a phrase stating the employee would give a call within a reasonable amount of time when calling in sick before his start time.

Anything in the contract regarding this? If you call in an hour after the posted start, can that be considered a no call no show as the company was not given a fair amount of time to make adjustments for your absence.

A

anonymous6

Some of us don't have "contractual sick days", but the concept is sound. I say "this is Dizzee, I won't be in today. I will be in tomorrow". Sometimes they ask why, usually they don't. :sick:

I heard this on the sirius comedy channel. " Well, I'm messing around with my sister. How sick is that????????"

ups1990

I feel that the earlier one calls the better. Calling in, say one hour to 30 minutes before start time will increase your chances of speaking to the center manager or on road. My call is usually placed at 630 around the time office personal arrives, they could care less who calls in. There are times, where an emergency situation presents itself that calling in sick at the last minute is your only option.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our OMS cannot and will not accept sick calls--we have to speak to either the on-car or dispatch sup. The on car doesn't get until 7:15 or so while the dispatch sup, who also runs the preload, is there much earlier.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
All you really have to do is say I am unavailable for work today, and wont be in. It is true they are not supposed to ask what is wrong with you for HIPA privacy reasons. I do not even allow a response, just make my statement and hang up.

ups1990

Our OMS cannot and will not accept sick calls--we have to speak to either the on-car or dispatch sup. The on car doesn't get until 7:15 or so while the dispatch sup, who also runs the preload, is there much earlier.
Is there language in the Master contract that stipulates for one to make verbal contact with center management?

We can say all that a person needs is a record of the call placed with the phone carrier, as prove of your sick call.

Diego

Provided your attendance record is not a problem, simply call in and say you will not be in.
You are not required to give a reason, nor does your manager need to validate it.
If you feel pressed to give a reason, personal business is always a good one that is vague and can't be questioned.
If you claim to be sick, and aren't, makes you dishonest opening yourself up to a contractual violation.
Do yourself a favor and don't put yourself in that position.

Agreed you say your sick and they see you out playing golf, do not lie it will bite you in the bootie.

Glad to know that some many others drivers are valued by you center manager that he needs you to come in sick. I thought I was the only one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is there language in the Master contract that stipulates for one to make verbal contact with center management?

We can say all that a person needs is a record of the call placed with the phone carrier, as prove of your sick call.

Ours is a very small center (25-30 routes)--perhaps it would be different in a larger center.

overallowed

Just curious and cannot recall my readings of the contract...but I think I remember a phrase stating the employee would give a call within a reasonable amount of time when calling in sick before his start time.

Anything in the contract regarding this? If you call in an hour after the posted start, can that be considered a no call no show as the company was not given a fair amount of time to make adjustments for your absence.
I always call at 7:15am, 1hr45min before start time. It is when on-car sups are available. If not available, they get a cell phone call.

Big Babooba

The point is it often is a negotiation. Many people your buddies call and say I'm not feeling real good can I get off. You then say I'm tight or I need you and they come in.

What you should do is tell your friends looking for days off to not try to negotiate by saying they are or might be sick.

Wife - Harry won't be in today, he died.
center manager - Harry has to come in. He had request his death a week in advance. His name isn't on my calender.
Wife - You don't get it, Harry is dead, kaput, finito!
center manager - Is he at least breathing?
Wife - Of course not! He's as stiff as a board.
center manager - Is he at warm?
Wife - Just a little bit.
center manager - Well bring him in. We'll send him out with a supervisor.
CLICK!:happy-very:

Eclipz

It's very rare for my to call in sick so when that happens they won't bother to ask any specific question. But on a previous job I can remember the brutality of a manager. A fellow worker called in sick and the manager suggested that he would add 2 more days (wed, thurs and friday) of absence and take it off his vacation days. Enjoy your vacation! :sick:

Ms.PacMan

My ex-husband works for the public school district and they don't even have to talk to a person. They call an automated phone number and leave a voice mail. They are off then until they call back in! If they are sick longer than 3 days though, they do have to bring a doctor's excuse when they return to work.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

They've tried that with me as well.
I tell them that they are good enough to take all other messages throughout the day, so they're good enough to take my call off.
I tell them I am calling from my cell phone so there is a record of the call.
Pass it on or don't, I won't hold for the on-car supe,
They can call me back if they want to discuss it and I hang up.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Wife - Harry won't be in today, he died.
center manager - Harry has to come in. He had request his death a week in advance. His name isn't on my calender.
Wife - You don't get it, Harry is dead, kaput, finito!
center manager - Is he at least breathing?
Wife - Of course not! He's as stiff as a board.
center manager - Is he at warm?
Wife - Just a little bit.
center manager - Well bring him in. We'll send him out with a supervisor.
CLICK!:happy-very:
Didn't you mean two supervisors? . . . it would be A WEEKEND AT BERNIES all over again:funny:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Guy contacts his immediate sup by text to let him know he is sick and won't be in. Sup texts him back that he is OK with it and will make arrangements to cover his position. center manager later discovers employee had used text instead of phone and gets ticked off enough to issue a warning letter as a "no call no show" and withhold sick pay. Anyone had any similar sitch?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Guy contacts his immediate sup by text to let him know he is sick and won't be in. Sup texts him back that he is OK with it and will make arrangements to cover his position. center manager later discovers employee had used text instead of phone and gets ticked off enough to issue a warning letter as a "no call no show" and withhold sick pay. Anyone had any similar sitch?

Call me old school, but if you don't have the courtesy to pick up the phone and actually talk to a supervisor then you deserve the damn warning letter. Texting in a sick call? Are you friggin kidding me?

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Call me old school, but if you don't have the courtesy to pick up the phone and actually talk to a supervisor then you deserve the damn warning letter. Texting in a sick call? Are you friggin kidding me?

Yeah, I know, I'm old school too probably to a fault. But this is the point, we now text in most areas we used to only have the call option i.e. other drivers, spouse, kids etc., and most find it helpful when we are pressed for time which is always at ups. If you go back 5-10 years, most of us were still using land lines for calls to the center and so forth. Our diad is a text animal, and when you get a text from mgmt it's considered to have the same weight as if they were in the cab with you! So, if an employee uses text and gets a positive response from mgmt in text, even if I don't personally use it, yet, what's the real problem with it?

over9five

Staff member
Although I agree with Upstate that texting in sick is unprofessional, I also agree with Mc4You2. As soon as the sup acknowledged it, it was a legitimate sick call.

happybob

Feeders
Whoever answers the phone. Hello, it's me, I wont be in today, not feeling well, "Oh no, you have to speak to so-so" You answered, thats my call in, going back to bed, you better give them the message, bye. I have made my contractual call in. Write the time and who you spoke to down, then disconnect your phone. Show me in the contact where it says you have to speak to this one or that one when calling. It just says call in prior to start time.