Pros and Cons of going to Feeders.....????!!!!!!

Not sure about you, but I am pretty certain we were all rookies at one point. When I started out, co-workers helped each other out. Now, everyone helps themselves. Literally.

Read my continued reply to Pickup before you get jumpy. I`m not knocking rookies. I`m knocking the piss-poor training they get now. I`m friend-ing amazed they know which end of the tractor goes under the trailer. As far as helping each other I`ve helped more new drivers, that are receptive, than just about anyone else. I`m usually one of the guys the sups send them to. Thx.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Read my continued reply to Pickup before you get jumpy. I`m not knocking rookies. I`m knocking the piss-poor training they get now. I`m friend-ing amazed they know which end of the tractor goes under the trailer. As far as helping each other I`ve helped more new drivers, that are receptive, than just about anyone else. I`m usually one of the guys the sups send them to. Thx.
Sorry to appear to be "jumpy". My point was how things have changed. Perhaps I am not the only one who is "jumpy"? Doh.

Inthegame

TX for all the replies! So what is considered a BAD day?
Crowbar gave some great points. Depending on your location, weather can be an issue. The worst weather often hits at night when the least experienced drivers usually are working. When the weather service is telling everyone to stay off the roads, UPS is expecting you to show up and move loads, and make service.(Although todays equipment is much better than the tricycles we drove twenty years ago that would spin around on a wet night in July.) The biggest problem I had was working nights. You will most likely be working odd shifts for quite awhile, sometimes on call, expected to be fully rested when you do get called. All in all, it is the job at UPS that doesn't physically wear you out. Good luck.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I hate hooking up doubles in the rain. There is no way to hurry the process, and it's damn near impossable to stay dry, even wearing a raincoat. Then you climb into the tractor, and your seat id wet for the next hour or so, and then you have to get out and break them down.

rocket man

Full time driver in downtown Washington D.C. for 20 years. I have SERIOUSLY been considering signing the next Feeder bid list when it is posted. The workload on every route in our center has been increased by almost 50% compared to a few years ago. The missloads, missroutes, DFUs, bad time studies, telematics, and all the other Service Provider b.s. that happens everyday has become too much.

The only downside I can see at the moment is that overtime is actually OVERTIME. What I mean is I am a bonus driver. My route HAS to be done before 5:00 since it is all commercial. A paid 10 hour day for me is the guaranteed 8 pay and 2 hours of bonus time. A 10 hour day in feeders is exactly that.

So ffor those of you who have made the switch what are the pros and cons?

Happy Holidays!
20 years ? and you dont no one feeder driver to ask? I have the answer for you, ask a layed off feeder driver whos is driving a package car or who is doing porter work right now, HOW CAN YOU NOT NO ONE PERSON TO ASK? fedx needs feeder drivers 20 years and you only no the routes got bigger .