Pros and Cons of not joining the union? Hub worker candidate here in At-Will state.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Re: Pros and Cons of not joining the union? Hub worker candidate here in At-Will sta

Finished up as a Xmas driver's helper. At the end, I filled out the form indicating interest in working at the hub.

.....QUOTE]
Why is the fictional character 'AssistantSanta' interested in working at the hub?

hypocrisy

Banned
Re: Pros and Cons of not joining the union? Hub worker candidate here in At-Will sta

Because he will not be making Union wages.

I can't understand why any new part-timer would join the Union in a right-to-work state.

The Teamsters does nothing for P/T.

The Teamster's use the resources (health benefits, pension, "you name it") of the part-timers to subsidize the friend/T Drivers.

JMO based on years of being a P/T and just common sense.

I really wish I had known about this prior to devoting countless hours of missed sleep coming in early every day to represent over 100 part timers in disciplinary meetings for 2 years because no one within the preload was competent enough nor motivated enough to do it. I lost count of how many jobs I saved from arbitrary discipline meted out by the vindictive management they had and when they were replaced I put in a fair, documentation-heavy discipline system that stands to this day.

As for wages, this has been discussed ad nauseum. UPS insisted on keeping the starting wage at $8.50. I know this as a fact straight from the bargaining table. UPS is now reaping the rewards of paying substandard starting wages by keeping their turnover high. Perhaps the minimum wage will catch up to the starting wage and they will be forced to increase it. The progression is fair and rewards tenure which is a standard of both UPS and the Teamsters. Part-timers outnumber Full time by more than 2:1 so if they were not happy with the last and previous contracts that did not increase the starting wage they were more than welcome to vote them down (reason #1 to be in the Union).

Health benefits are paid the same regardless of whether you are friend/t or p/t so I don't see where you are getting an subsidies out of that. The pension, ours in the West at least, has you vested at 5 years regardless of whether you are friend/t or p/t which is fairly standard.

Apparently you were misinformed as a part-timer and remain so.

I can understand UPS' argument that their high turnover in p/t precludes increasing the starting wage but they are being shortsighted and not recognizing that by failing to have at least a decent, competitive starting wage they are not attracting good candidates that will stick around. It's unfortunate but there aren't enough people out there who will persevere to reap the benefits and we all know that UPS pays off in the long haul.

To the OP: you are obviously trolling as others have in the past. Keep believing the RTW crap you espouse and see how you benefit from it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I really wish I had known about this prior to devoting countless hours of missed sleep coming in early every day to represent over 100 part timers in disciplinary meetings for 2 years because no one within the preload was competent enough nor motivated enough to do it. I lost count of how many jobs I saved from arbitrary discipline meted out by the vindictive management they had and when they were replaced I put in a fair, documentation-heavy discipline system that stands to this day.

As for wages, this has been discussed ad nauseum. UPS insisted on keeping the starting wage at $8.50. I know this as a fact straight from the bargaining table. UPS is now reaping the rewards of paying substandard starting wages by keeping their turnover high. Perhaps the minimum wage will catch up to the starting wage and they will be forced to increase it. The progression is fair and rewards tenure which is a standard of both UPS and the Teamsters. Part-timers outnumber Full time by more than 2:1 so if they were not happy with the last and previous contracts that did not increase the starting wage they were more than welcome to vote them down (reason #1 to be in the Union).

Health benefits are paid the same regardless of whether you are friend/t or p/t so I don't see where you are getting an subsidies out of that. The pension, ours in the West at least, has you vested at 5 years regardless of whether you are friend/t or p/t which is fairly standard.

Apparently you were misinformed as a part-timer and remain so.

I can understand UPS' argument that their high turnover in p/t precludes increasing the starting wage but they are being shortsighted and not recognizing that by failing to have at least a decent, competitive starting wage they are not attracting good candidates that will stick around. It's unfortunate but there aren't enough people out there who will persevere to reap the benefits and we all know that UPS pays off in the long haul.

To the OP: you are obviously trolling as others have in the past. Keep believing the RTW crap you espouse and see how you benefit from it.

From what I have read from you on here, I fully believe this.

I believe you when you say you have heard this ... I have differently. UPS actually spends millions to try and reduce P/T turnover ... that is a fact and I have seen the figures. What I have heard is that the Union never is willing to reduce driver compensation to fund increases in P/T wages. Practically all Union members that influence the Teamster/UPS contract are friend/T drivers ... part-timers don't participate for whatever reason.

My point is that P/T rarely use their health plan benefits and even more rarely stay around for 5 years or more to realize any benefit from their pension benefits. This is especially true since almost all pension benefits are back-loaded in the last few years of employment. Look at the non-linear benefits for an employee for 10 years versus 25. The difference is much greater than the 2.5 factor (10 * 2.5 = 25).

I certainly was misinformed or indifferent when I was a P/T but I think my skepticism and analytical skills serve me well now. and don't forget my Personal Quote - "Ignore words, judge by actions. Pay no attention to what people say...observe their actions."

Sounds reasonable and you may be right.

I happen to agree with you. US based UPS employees that actually handle and progress the physical packages are in an enviable position to many other workers in the US such as FedEx employees.

AssistantSanta

There seems to be a confusion in this thread. It is *NOT* right to work state where I am. So, I'll be paying agency fee anyways but membership(thus being subject to union discipline) is optional.
AssistantSanta, will you cross a Teamster Strike Line to work at UPS during a Strike?
It is my right. Are my coworkers going to be professional about it or are they going to make me a target of workplace violence and/or harassment because I choose not to participate in union activity such as as trike?

I don't know how many employees refuse to join the Teamsters in Right-To-Work states, but according to the 2010 IBT LM-2 report, there were 1,326,972 Teamster members, and 68,120 non-member Agency Fee Payers.
First, ok. I don't care what "most" do. I'd want to evaluate the pros and cons myself. As for the numbers, are they given proper explanation of membership and given an easy yes/no option at the time of hire?

Are new hires given accurate and clear information and not misled in anyway concerning union membership?

Are they given the option to join/not join in a clear and open manner? (i.e. on upsjobs.com application, buttons showing "optional union membership would you like to join once hired? yes/no )

They made me fill out union forms when I joined as a helper and I was told I need to work with the union to resign. It seems that new hires are automatically joined into to get out of it, they'll have to draw attention to themselves and write a resignation letter. Am I wrong?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

Why do you want to work in the hub?

705red

Browncafe Steward

You have some stones on you! You want to work at UPS and receive all the benefits of being in the Union without holding your own share?

None of your money goes to political campaigns from the dues! The Teamsters have a program called DRIVE which members in good standing also donate out of their weekly check to endorse people that best represent working class men and women.

If you want to deliver packages for a living and not be Union, thats a FedEx for that!

705red

Browncafe Steward

I don't say the Teamsters are not concerned but just the facts of what is in the contract.

Please post as I am interested.

As my signature states, "The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent UPS's positions, strategies or opinions."

And my signature before my current one said, "Ignore words, judge by actions. Pay no attention to what people say...observe their actions."
This is still in my profile under "Personal Quote".

I have every proposal saved from the 2008 negotiations and I will scan it and post for all to see. We posted them on the local's website during the talks and had a very good strike vote turn out because of the offers if you remember.

I find it funny how your back peddling now when proof can be brought to light. But every chance you get you take a shot at the Union. I dont care if your a moderator or a troll! If you take a shot at the Teamsters, I will fire right back! Plain and simple!

UPSGUY72

I always like people that put the cart before the horse. AssistantSanta you should wait to see if they call you back first.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I have every proposal saved from the 2008 negotiations and I will scan it and post for all to see. We posted them on the local's website during the talks and had a very good strike vote turn out because of the offers if you remember.

I find it funny how your back peddling now when proof can be brought to light. But every chance you get you take a shot at the Union. I dont care if your a moderator or a troll! If you take a shot at the Teamsters, I will fire right back! Plain and simple!

Sounds good ... now please go out and organize FedEx. :grouphugg:

Johney

assistedsanta,
What is this "union discipline" you speak of? What exactly does that mean?

AssistantSanta

assistedsanta,
What is this "union discipline" you speak of? What exactly does that mean?

If I maintain my status as a member and work during a strike, they can apparently fine me and take away what I earned during those period or even more. As a non-member, I would have immunity and union has no power to fine me or punish me for doing something they don't like.

Finished up as a Xmas driver's helper. At the end, I filled out the form indicating interest in working at the hub.

During orientation, we were told that though we have to pay some/whole amount of union dues, partaking union membership is totally up to *me*.

I just did some reading here:
nrtw.org/RDA.htm

I understand that I am required to pay "financial core" part of union dues and I remain a member of collective bargaining and in exchange I'm entitled to full benefits and fair representation as a member of collective bargaining unit.

By not joining, my understanding is that I won't pay portions of dues that go to union politics or non-collective bargaining fees. I'll lose the right to take part in union internal affairs but I understand that I'm immune from picket lines, union disciplines and fines.

On paper, it looks good. In the real world, am I going to become a target of harassment for exercising my right to not join the union?
I hope so

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I maintain my status as a member and work during a strike, they can apparently fine me and take away what I earned during those period or even more. As a non-member, I would have immunity and union has no power to fine me or punish me for doing something they don't like.

The union may not have the poweer to fine or punish you but your co-workers will most certainly make your life pretty miserable.

Funny that you`re debating the benefits of joining the union on a union negotiated holiday.

Johney

Thank you, now I know what it means. I can tell you the guys that crossed in 97 that do still work here to this day are still called scabs by some.

UPSGUY72

Your punishment would come when you needed the union representation in a disciplinary matter. They would help you but I would bet that the help you received was the minimal required by law.