Protecting yourself - Drivers

UPSGUY72

Thanks for the responses, So what actually happens when a grievance is filed? Are the held accountable for anything, do they get talked to or investigated?

You been working for UPS for at least 2 years and you don't know what happen when you file a grievance ????

averageguy

You been working for UPS for at least 2 years and you don't know what happen when you file a grievance ????

Yes that's what I'm saying, never had an issue until the new center manager got here (only been here for two months).. The only thing I know that will happen is obvious retaliation from them. Other than that what effect does filing a grievance have on them?

averageguy

You are creating a paper trail on them. Fight back and they will move on to someone else.

I guess I should rephrase my question, I understand that I'm creating a paper trail.

What effect does the grievance procedure have on the individuals that were filed upon (i.e. center manager, supervisor, etc.)?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm not understanding how you were suspended for using a sick day and how it went right to a 3-day. Are there missing pieces to the story? If you're booking off, give them at least an hour's notice and have time to take I'm not understanding how you are getting disciplined at all. That's what sick days are for.

UPSGUY72

I'm not understanding how you were suspended for using a sick day and how it went right to a 3-day. Are there missing pieces to the story? If you're booking off, give them at least an hour's notice and have time to take I'm not understanding how you are getting disciplined at all. That's what sick days are for.

Bingo there is a lot more to this story than what we are hearing.

UPSGUY72

Yes that's what I'm saying, never had an issue until the new center manager got here (only been here for two months).. The only thing I know that will happen is obvious retaliation from them. Other than that what effect does filing a grievance have on them?

Your the first person in your building to file a grievance ??? Why don't you ask your shop Steward since your been getting warning letters and talking to a lot lately you should be well informed who they are.

SnakePlissken

Don't be afraid to file a grievance- I filed one on the regional manager because he harassed me. Had never met him before and barely recognized him-- but I filed a grievance on him just the same. Like a bully-- once they see that they can't push you around without a fight-- they'll move on to someone or something else. Oh, they'll try again later, they always do. Sounds like your new center manager is trying to make an example out of you so that the rest of the building will bow down in fear. Turn the tables on him and make an example out of him instead.
You could also call the 800 hotline number and report on him and the other shenanigans "anonymously."
Several times at a PCM we've had our center manager tell us to come to him instead of calling that hotline-- so it gets back to them in some way.
Just do your safety training methods to a hyper level: Complete stop every time, Look LRL, count 1,2,3... blah blah blah, use handrails, face bulkhead doors when closing them-- you do all that and they can't do a thing to you.
I learned the hard way: Everything safety-wise that UPS implements is designed to slow you down. I fought it for years trying to work around their obstacles, but then I hyper embraced their methods and have been a whole lot happier.

didyousheetit

5. Get on FMLA intermittent leave. That way you have 12 weeks you can take 1 day at a time when the stress gets to you./QUOTE]

....and people wonder why the company continually takes things away from us.....FMLA was not designed to be used in this manner.....
not designed ? Oh I didn't realize you were a congressman who sat on the congressional subcommittee when this piece of legislation was drawn up. just saying

didyousheetit

Good evening all,

I'm a fairly new driver, about two years in. Recently our new center manager has been riding me because of my numbers, since I take lunch it's very difficult for me to come under most of the time (especially since I'm a cover driver). However, this last incident has been the last straw for me. I've been getting harassed and written up left and right for any list mistake whether my fault or not.

But now I have been issued a 3-day suspension for using a sick day.. That's right, even though I called damn near 3 hours before my shift I was still written up the next day, pure harassment. I've been pretty lenient so far, but now I'm about to start filing grievances because I suspect there making a paper trail against me in order to use as leverage to fire me somehow.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a huge target on my back from now on once I start filing, so I would like to know how more experienced drivers cover themselves from the obvious retaliation that's I'm about to catch.
nothing will really happen to center manager when you file. Most important thing to do from now on anytime management wants to see you even to say good morning tell them you want a steward present.

balland chain

Good evening all,

I'm a fairly new driver, about two years in. Recently our new center manager has been riding me because of my numbers, since I take lunch it's very difficult for me to come under most of the time (especially since I'm a cover driver). However, this last incident has been the last straw for me. I've been getting harassed and written up left and right for any list mistake whether my fault or not.

But now I have been issued a 3-day suspension for using a sick day.. That's right, even though I called damn near 3 hours before my shift I was still written up the next day, pure harassment. I've been pretty lenient so far, but now I'm about to start filing grievances because I suspect there making a paper trail against me in order to use as leverage to fire me somehow.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a huge target on my back from now on once I start filing, so I would like to know how more experienced drivers cover themselves from the obvious retaliation that's I'm about to catch.

During your three day suspension go to your union hall and talk with your BA.. Tell him/her what has happened , that you called in sick.. If you have sick days in the bank how can they do a damn thing ?? Secondly, the late air has nothing to do with you calling in sick..Mgmt just loves to harass drivers especially ones they know they can get away with it... If you are within the 7 days of the three day suspension ( I did not notice when you posted your message) grieve it.. Every time you are called into the office take a shop steward with you.. Take notes, do NOT loose your cool... Listen to what they say, then off the clock notify your BA of the meeting.. Document everything that is said or done to you... If you are being singled out, head to the EEOC and file a charge.. Be sure you have plenty of documentation and witnesses for everything he/she says.. If you are given a three day suspension for a sick call, everybody who calls in sick should get the same.. If not, that is discrimination. UPS says they dont discriminate, but they do.. If you stand up for the union and your rights, they harass you.. If you are a suck up ( as we know there are too many to count of these) than noting will be said or done to you, ever... I am not suggesting that you should be a brown nose'r , stand your ground, notify the union, file a grievance !

averageguy

During your three day suspension go to your union hall and talk with your BA.. Tell him/her what has happened , that you called in sick.. If you have sick days in the bank how can they do a damn thing ?? Secondly, the late air has nothing to do with you calling in sick..Mgmt just loves to harass drivers especially ones they know they can get away with it... If you are within the 7 days of the three day suspension ( I did not notice when you posted your message) grieve it.. Every time you are called into the office take a shop steward with you.. Take notes, do NOT loose your cool... Listen to what they say, then off the clock notify your BA of the meeting.. Document everything that is said or done to you... If you are being singled out, head to the EEOC and file a charge.. Be sure you have plenty of documentation and witnesses for everything he/she says.. If you are given a three day suspension for a sick call, everybody who calls in sick should get the same.. If not, that is discrimination. UPS says they dont discriminate, but they do.. If you stand up for the union and your rights, they harass you.. If you are a suck up ( as we know there are too many to count of these) than noting will be said or done to you, ever... I am not suggesting that you should be a brown nose'r , stand your ground, notify the union, file a grievance !

Thanks for the information, I'll do just that. Also it didn't end up going to a 3-day it was just a warning letter as far as I know. Still giving me a warning letter for calling in 2 1/2 hours before my shift when I have sick days available is blatant retaliation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

not designed ? Oh I didn't realize you were a congressman who sat on the congressional subcommittee when this piece of legislation was drawn up. just saying

Use and Abuse of the Family and Medical Leave Act: What Workers and Employers Say

This excerpt is from Chapter 1:

Irresponsible employees thus look for doctors who will certify them as having "serious medical conditions" even when they could continue working without difficulty. Workers have had routine conditions like colds, stress, or even an injured toe certified as serious medical conditions. Some workers take additional days off work so that their condition will meet the qualification for "serious."

didyousheetit

Use and Abuse of the Family and Medical Leave Act: What Workers and Employers Say

This excerpt is from Chapter 1:

Irresponsible employees thus look for doctors who will certify them as having "serious medical conditions" even when they could continue working without difficulty. Workers have had routine conditions like colds, stress, or even an injured toe certified as serious medical conditions. Some workers take additional days off work so that their condition will meet the qualification for "serious."
It's not irresponsible, every one knows if left up to ups they would tell you to keep working with a broken leg ( yes that actually happened to a driver the consignee seen the accident and called the ambulance since ups refused too). Point being stress is different to different people