represent union labor well rule 14?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wonder if do your best was rule 11?

earn your keep everyday rule 12

take pride in your workmanship 13

Yeah, I think those are unwriiten rules.
I seldom disagree with you, and I always love ya, but its way outta control tie.
Going to work is not fun anymore, and no matter what you do it isnt good enough. I know work isnt suppose to be fun, but it isnt suppose to make you nauseous, when you do the best you can, what you have always done, and it is NOT ACCEPTABLE. .
When no one can say what you are doing wrong just fix it. I actually had chest pains friday. Is that workers comp? When people ODS you to do better, when you are already at the peak of what you can do? Then they want to tell you to wait here or there, put the pkg here or there, dont go there til x time. *** give me a break. Sorry service a customer? thats not what UPS wants me to do, dont try and slide it in. They want me to dump the resi and be gone, then when I do Im an ass for not giving them time to get to the door. Im not psychic. I cant tell an old person who takes 10 minutes to find their checkbook, and 8 minutes to get where she keeps it that I cant wait on her. Im not the bully UPS is.

brownrod

. I cant tell an old person who takes 10 minutes to find their checkbook, and 8 minutes to get where she keeps it that I cant wait on her. Im not the bully UPS is.

I can. I will dump stops and run. I don't care. We don't get diciplined for poor customer service or getting complaints. We only get diciplined for failing to maintain production standards. Which is all that matters. Service is contrary to production.

You can get away with murder at UPS if you look good on paper while doing it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can. I will dump stops and run. I don't care. We don't get diciplined for poor customer service or getting complaints. We only get diciplined for failing to maintain production standards. Which is all that matters. Service is contrary to production.

United Parcel Service

brownrod

United Parcel Service

Indoctrination.

Someday all the old fogies who care about "service" will be gone. And in their place will be a new workforce of drivers who only care about production at the expense of service.

It is quite clear that this is what the management of UPS desires.
We only have to be patient and drivers like you will eventually be gone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Drivers like me, Sober, Scratch, re-raise, upsgrunt, dilli, OI, tooner, Red and some of the other old fogies here are what put the Service in UPS. Call me old school and I will thank you for the compliment.

Let me give you a quick example. Had 2 pkgs for one of my Avon ladies. I was running early and she was getting her kids from school. Tried again later as her house is on my pickups--still not home. Tried a third time as her house is on the way to my drop boxes--she was finally home. Turns out she was sick and couldn't get to the door the 2nd time I was there. Probably took me an extra five minutes total to take care of the customer. I took credit for the first attempt and dup on the next two attempts. Win/win as she got her Avon and I got rid of my only send agains.

It sounds as though you would have made the one attempt and been done with it, which would have been well within the methods. Yet the customer would still be waiting for her Avon.

The funny thing is I am able to combine production and service and could easily run your ass in to the ground without breaking a sweat.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I don't know how I feel about resi stuff. It's nice to service the customer. Especially if it's your established route and you know the old fogies and stuff. If your new, then of course your going to hustle it up. As I don't have an established route, I usually do a quick drop and check on the door before I pull away. If it's an old person that opens it, then I'll happily get out and help her. But you do have on average 50 resi stops per car to service. You can't let 1 stop control the other 50. If you drive by the place a few times, no sweat. Reattempt it. It's way better than having a send again. But if it's out of the way, it's out of the way. I have a family to take care of. If I can service the resi customers and get home to my wife and kids, great. If I have to do my job and drop, walk, and go then I'll do that too. But I ALWAYS service the business stops. And the pickups. Resi's aren't high on my priority list.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Drivers like me, Sober, Scratch, re-raise, upsgrunt, dilli, OI, tooner, Red and some of the other old fogies here are what put the Service in UPS. Call me old school and I will thank you for the compliment.

Let me give you a quick example. Had 2 pkgs for one of my Avon ladies. I was running early and she was getting her kids from school. Tried again later as her house is on my pickups--still not home. Tried a third time as her house is on the way to my drop boxes--she was finally home. Turns out she was sick and couldn't get to the door the 2nd time I was there. Probably took me an extra five minutes total to take care of the customer. I took credit for the first attempt and dup on the next two attempts. Win/win as she got her Avon and I got rid of my only send agains.

It sounds as though you would have made the one attempt and been done with it, which would have been well within the methods. Yet the customer would still be waiting for her Avon.

The funny thing is I am able to combine production and service and could easily run your ass in to the ground without breaking a sweat.

Thank you Dave for the compliment. I appreciate it but let me tell you a little story before you give me such good kudos.

I was on my favorite rural rte for the last 3 days. Would have been all week but I was scheduled off M/T. Anyway, I had an adult sig req. VA med. This stop is not one that you get to easily. I attempted W. - NI1. Tried again on Th. - NI2. Went back on Fri and there was a note on the door. "Please come in, go down the hallway to bedroom. I can't hear you knock on the door."

I couldn't do it. Nope uh uhhhhhhh. Sorry but it got a NI3 and the regular driver can do it on Mon. My sups bosses boss couldn't threaten me enough to get me to walk in that house down the hallway to some guys bedroom. :surprised:

We have another customer, that is abed quite often when we del. A woman. That one I have no problem with.

I give great service and if I look bad on the reports so be it. Ups can't take away my pride and this job is costomer service don't forget it. It's always your responsibility to take care of your little postage stamp you call a route. Don't let ups take away your morals brown up and take it like a man.

satellitedriver

I wonder if do your best was rule 11?

earn your keep everyday rule 12

take pride in your workmanship 13

Rule number 11 is you will work 11hrs.
Example from my day on 05/14/10;
I punched out at 10pm, after having to sort through my trailer to load my pkg car.
-(meaning dumping 50 stops and over 120 pkgs on the ground and then reload them back in to the trailer, so that another driver could come and deliver them)-
The decision to do the add/cut was literally done 5 minutes before start time.
05/14 was the first time I started using my phone camera to document what I have to deal with.
I wish I could share the photos, but corporate would not like to see pkgs spread on the ground in a back alley behind a WalMart, while a driver loads his car.
Damn good thing it was not raining that day.