Protecting Yourself From Brown's Numbers Game

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Drivers like me, Sober, Scratch, re-raise, upsgrunt, dilli, OI, tooner, Red and some of the other old fogies here are what put the Service in UPS. Call me old school and I will thank you for the compliment.

Let me give you a quick example. Had 2 pkgs for one of my Avon ladies. I was running early and she was getting her kids from school. Tried again later as her house is on my pickups--still not home. Tried a third time as her house is on the way to my drop boxes--she was finally home. Turns out she was sick and couldn't get to the door the 2nd time I was there. Probably took me an extra five minutes total to take care of the customer. I took credit for the first attempt and dup on the next two attempts. Win/win as she got her Avon and I got rid of my only send agains.

It sounds as though you would have made the one attempt and been done with it, which would have been well within the methods. Yet the customer would still be waiting for her Avon.

The funny thing is I am able to combine production and service and could easily run your ass in to the ground without breaking a sweat.
Thanks for the Kudos. I knew my route, and knew what cars my far out folks drove. I made more FD deliveries in the front seat of cars then to actual houses. I miss eating lunch in the local Pharmacy, and catching up with the news of the day.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Drivers like me, Sober, Scratch, re-raise, upsgrunt, dilli, OI, tooner, Red and some of the other old fogies here are what put the Service in UPS. Call me old school and I will thank you for the compliment.

Let me give you a quick example. Had 2 pkgs for one of my Avon ladies. I was running early and she was getting her kids from school. Tried again later as her house is on my pickups--still not home. Tried a third time as her house is on the way to my drop boxes--she was finally home. Turns out she was sick and couldn't get to the door the 2nd time I was there. Probably took me an extra five minutes total to take care of the customer. I took credit for the first attempt and dup on the next two attempts. Win/win as she got her Avon and I got rid of my only send agains.

It sounds as though you would have made the one attempt and been done with it, which would have been well within the methods. Yet the customer would still be waiting for her Avon.

The funny thing is I am able to combine production and service and could easily run your ass in to the ground without breaking a sweat.

You can add me to your list. I'm 35 with just short of 17 years at UPS. My customers come first. I won't go 5 miles out of my way for someone but if I am driving by and notice a car in the driveway and someone is now home t sign for a package....guess what....one less stop tomorrow and my customer has great appreciation of my service. UPS was built on SERVICE and I will continue to bring my customers such as best I can.

brownrod

Drivers like me, Sober, Scratch, re-raise,

I just call it like I see it. If you can't tell that this is what UPS management wants then you are as blind and deaf as you are old.

Ever had a 3 day service ride?

Me? I don't care either way. I get paid 29.82$ an hour to do whatever they tell me to.

Sorry, you don't want me to do your route. After I'm done with it they'll add 30 stops per day to it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I just call it like I see it. If you can't tell that this is what UPS management wants then you are as blind and deaf as you are old.

Ever had a 3 day service ride?

Me? I don't care either way. I get paid 29.82$ an hour to do whatever they tell me to.

Sorry, you don't want me to do your route. After I'm done with it they'll add 30 stops per day to it.
Nah, they'll just add 30 stops the next time you run it :happy-very:.
They already know what I'm gonna do...

bumped

Yes it does.
Screw corporate if they do not like the truth.
I decided to post a pick from last Friday.
This is how my TP60 looked when I opened it up with over 400 pgk's and 150 stops crammed into it.

Whats the problem. The fragile box is top loaded, and the box with the orientation arrows are pointing somewhat up.:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I believe that this thread belongs on the labor discussion side.
Aside, SPORH does matter. At least up here, UPS has molded at least part of the union to recognize the numbers. I know that when confronted with a SPORH number in a meeting w/ steward, there was no mention of whether or not it was legitimate. Also, it was one of many obstacles created by UPS to qualify for a FT driving job.

satellitedriver

Whats the problem. The fragile box is top loaded, and the box with the orientation arrows are pointing somewhat up.:wink2:
Ha, ha.:happy2:
If you look at my pic, the first pkg you will see the in the foreground is a 90lb that rolled off the top of the pile when I opened the door.
Luckily, I had my balance and caught it before it rolled out on to my foot.

Omega man

I believe that this thread belongs on the labor discussion side.
Aside, SPORH does matter. At least up here, UPS has molded at least part of the union to recognize the numbers. I know that when confronted with a SPORH number in a meeting w/ steward, there was no mention of whether or not it was legitimate. Also, it was one of many obstacles created by UPS to qualify for a FT driving job.

You should get a new steward. No steward worth anything will accept UPS' SPORH nonsense as legitimate. Go above and talk to your Union business agents.

code5

Though I share this with you guys...

UPS.jpg

Now, if you are an overtime freak - the mojority of these points would be great. If you want to do your best at work, but still have a life after work that is where a barrier exists.

Any other company would use overtime almost opposite as UPS. Our mgmt uses it against us so we are not allowed to leave. Most other companies would eliminate overtime as a tool to reduce labour costs. UPS doesn't care about labour costs!

tieguy

Banned
Now, if you are an overtime freak - the mojority of these points would be great. If you want to do your best at work, but still have a life after work that is where a barrier exists.

Any other company would use overtime almost opposite as UPS. Our mgmt uses it against us so we are not allowed to leave. Most other companies would eliminate overtime as a tool to reduce labour costs. UPS doesn't care about labour costs!

I think that may be the case if the cost of putting the extra car on the road is more then the overtime.

over9five

Staff member
I believe UPS saves a ton o' cake keeping us out late.

Wear and tear on another car.
Gas to and from area.
No H&W payments after 8 hours.

trickpony1

UPS had shareowners before the IPO both hourly and management and still does.

.....maybe so but we didn't have to answer to Wall Street before the IPO.
Prior to the IPO the Good 'ol Boys Club, OPPS!, I mean the Board of Directors called the shots and every time they sneezed the stock split like rabbits.
If what you say is true can you tell me where my millions upon millions of dollars worth of company stock is that I acquired when I hypo' ed my soul, my wife, my kids, my cars, my homes and any recyclable cans I found along the highway? Thanks.