Protecting Yourself From Brown's Numbers Game

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The PCM is intended to be a time when the Sup/center manager gives info and encouragement (plus looks for hang overs):happy-very:
They shouldn't blow it and you shouldn't miss it. Eventually you'll be pulled in and may be pissed because you got used to doing your own thing. Keep cool, because "Nothing good last forever".....

In my opinion, PCM's are a complete waste of time and money. It has been quite awhile since I have heard anything relevant or meaningful at one. It seems to me that on the rare occasions when there is something out of the ordinary happening that needs to be brought to everyone's attention, that information could be sent out thru the DIAD instead of making us stand around and listen to a speech.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
That's sad Sober. Maybe we can blame the Gen X group for this.

BTW the DIAD comm was determined to be "non-personal".
Ask questions at the PCM... (and smile) Tell your Sup that it's a waste of time....(personally)
Talk to the center manager and tell him whaty you'd like to hear at a PCM...

Golden Rule stuff.........Don't quit early!!

8Years2Go

Had a good PCM today! If we suspect that someone is following us to either steal pkgs from a DR stop or to jeopordize our safety, we are NOT to call the police, but are instructed to call LP. How can we call LP? Aren't they the one following us that we were about to call the police on?

Re-Raise

One PCM we had last week that they read out of their little PCM book was about how to properly wash our hands. You know important stuff like wet your hands first then apply the soap.

I asked a number of questions in order to get it right.

Today it was something about obesity or not eating too much salt. If they gave us back this wasted 10 minutes every day they wouldn't have to cut routes on Monday.

How do you get the soap off of your hands after you put it on them?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Had a good PCM today! If we suspect that someone is following us to either steal pkgs from a DR stop or to jeopordize our safety, we are NOT to call the police, but are instructed to call LP. How can we call LP? Aren't they the one following us that we were about to call the police on?

Do you have the number of LP? Getb thye number and post it on the dash.........
Of course there are situations that we need the Police asap.......Give me a break. You should know the difference. I',m sure you do

fxdwg

Long Time Member
One PCM we had last week that they read out of their little PCM book was about how to properly wash our hands. You know important stuff like wet your hands first then apply the soap.

I asked a number of questions in order to get it right.

Today it was something about obesity or not eating too much salt. If they gave us back this wasted 10 minutes every day they wouldn't have to cut routes on Monday.

How do you get the soap off of your hands after you put it on them?

"Human Factor"???? Why don't you have a discussion with them about what would be relevant to the group they're addressing?
It's minor effort on your part, but why not poll your Comprade's and find out what theyb want info on? Not your job????? YES it is your job!
Times have changed and UPSers need to change accordingly.

Thanks!!:peaceful:

Re-Raise

"Human Factor"???? Why don't you have a discussion with them about what would be relevant to the group they're addressing?
It's minor effort on your part, but why not poll your Comprade's and find out what theyb want info on? Not your job????? YES it is your job!

Easy there hoss, "why so serious"?

Actually my current center manager is one of my best friends. He has been in and out of our center in different capacities for the last 25 years that I have been there.

We play a lot of golf and poker together. One thing he has been doing lately is telling us about accidents or injuries that have occurred in other centers within our district. He then asks for our input as to what the driver could have done or couldn't have done to prevent them.

I actually think the real life examples carry a lot more weight with us then signing an endless series of No Sorrow backing sheets.

Fxdwg what do you do for UPS?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I don't know. I just got wound up with the strain in which this thread is going. Too much "THEY didn;t do this/that.......They!~!

I don't work at UPS anymore, but I did for a couple of years.
I hold stock and I want to stay in touch with the people that determine my wealth or not (a few years ago).

satellitedriver

You have a free pass to re-write/edit this sentence.

Re-Raise

I don't know. I just got wound up with the strain in which this thread is going. Too much "THEY didn;t do this/that.......They!~!

I don't work at UPS anymore, but I did for a couple of years.
I hold stock and I want to stay in touch with the people that determine my wealth or not (a few years ago).

Fair enough. I will do my small part to keep the packages moving. With cleaner hands now:happy2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, that's not necessarily true. I filed on whatever needed to be filed including 9.5's, I was never dq'd. I stood my ground with my BA too. He was not happy with my decision to file 9.5's but he backed me on it.

I wasn't trying to make a blanket statement at all. That's good that your situation was resolved. However, that doesn't change the fact that I was in the office with the center manager, two on-cars, and a steward, and the SPORH issue came up AS CONDITION OF QUALIFICATION and there was nothing mentioned about the union not recognizing the numbers.

Even a steward here admitted to filing a grievance on a warning letter for production.

tieguy

Banned
Now that you've shown up..........perhaps Yes:peaceful:

you're making assumptions that I'm talking about you when I specifically said this thread. I think its sad that we've created a work environment where our people brag about being able to avoid speaking with us. thats the train wreck.

soberups

I think its sad that we've created a work environment where our people brag about being able to avoid speaking with us. thats the train wreck.

I am proud of the fact that I can often go for a week or more without speaking to my management team.

Why? Because it means that I am doing my job safely, efficiently and correctly. Ive been doing this for 23 years; I know what the hell I'm doing; I dont need to be managed. I show up, clock on, bust my ass, get the job done, and go home. No drama, no complaints, no accidents, no injuries, no issues. The time that my sup didnt spend talking to me is time he was able to devote towards resolving issues that did need attention.

Thats what really aggravates me about all the "on area observations" they are sneaking around and doing. I do my best to be a "maintainence free" employee, but for whatever reason they just have to find something to complain about anyway.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
you're making assumptions that I'm talking about you when I specifically said this thread. I think its sad that we've created a work environment where our people brag about being able to avoid speaking with us. thats the train wreck.
The train wreck is at the station,
there is no one to talk to who will do anything but shout their talking points.
That may not be how you run your railroad but that is how many are being ran. And if you run yours different , and I bet you do, good for you.
Ps The dead cats are still there. I told the clerk to put them in the cms office, he will figure out how to handle them:happy2:

Re-Raise

I am proud of the fact that I can often go for a week or more without speaking to my management team.

Why? Because it means that I am doing my job safely, efficiently and correctly. Ive been doing this for 23 years; I know what the hell I'm doing; I dont need to be managed. I show up, clock on, bust my ass, get the job done, and go home. No drama, no complaints, no accidents, no injuries, no issues. The time that my sup didnt spend talking to me is time he was able to devote towards resolving issues that did need attention.

Thats what really aggravates me about all the "on area observations" they are sneaking around and doing. I do my best to be a "maintainence free" employee, but for whatever reason they just have to find something to complain about anyway.

You sound like every driver at our center. I believe our least seniority driver has 15 yrs with the company albeit most of that time as a preloader.

Our last driver sup retired about 4 months ago. He was very tightly strung and always had some emergency that had him freaking out. He was a heavy smoker, and a bit overweight. He was also very diificult to talk to.

Anyway they haven't replaced him. That is right we are somehow able to struggle along without him. We are still able to make our numbers accident and injury free without him and all the useless drama.

Truly amazing. Maybe we can use the savings to put on another route. There I go again with the crazy talk.

soberups

You sound like every driver at our center. I believe our least seniority driver has 15 yrs with the company albeit most of that time as a preloader.

Our last driver sup retired about 4 months ago. He was very tightly strung and always had some emergency that had him freaking out. He was a heavy smoker, and a bit overweight. He was also very diificult to talk to.

Anyway they haven't replaced him. That is right we are somehow able to struggle along without him. We are still able to make our numbers accident and injury free without him and all the useless drama.

Truly amazing. Maybe we can use the savings to put on another route. There I go again with the crazy talk.

The job of a supervisor is to make sure his employees are working safely and efficiently, and to resolve any problems that arise.

Guess what happens when the employees are able to do all of that on their own? All of a sudden, the supervisor becomes irrelevant.

I think that is the main reason why we are getting all of the micromanagement and on-area observations....job security for the management people that perform them.

They are paid to solve problems. So if there arent any problems for them to solve....they will simply make some up.

Invent a problem, invent a "solution" for that problem, then take credit for the "result". Promotion awaits!