PT cover driver forced to work saturday discipline

I'm a part time cover driver and I work roughly 1-3 days a week and all other days I am working preload. My supervisors are forcing me to come in on Saturdays after I tell them I can't be there they continue to say I have to and are giving me a warning letters when I don't show. What will be the repercussions if I continue not to come on Saturdays? Could it effect my over all job as a preloader (because that is my primary job)or just me as a cover driver such as them disqualifying me from driving.

By The Book

I'm a part time cover driver and I work roughly 1-3 days a week and all other days I am working preload. My supervisors are forcing me to come in on Saturdays after I tell them I can't be there they continue to say I have to and are giving me a warning letters when I don't show. What will be the repercussions if I continue not to come on Saturdays? Could it effect my over all job as a preloader (because that is my primary job)or just me as a cover driver such as them disqualifying me from driving.
It depends on the language in your supplement, if they can force you in. Who knows what the repercussions will be, yes it could affect your primary job.....somehow I guess. They can't pass up your seniority because of this when it comes time to go full time driving. What changed? Why is your center forcing people? Did they post a list for volunteers?

PT Car Washer

Just resign from being a cover driver. I have seen many PT air drivers resign because they got tired of running air either on Saturday or other days of the week. Still kept there primary PT job.

Dr.Brownz

Just resign from being a cover driver. I have seen many PT air drivers resign because they got tired of running air either on Saturday or other days of the week. Still kept there primary PT job.

I tell all the PT cover guys to not do it because eventually UPS's abuses them. One guy ran ground routes everyday (11-13 hours of work a day). They told him at the start of this that he would be a FT driver within a few months. It has been over 4 years since that then. He now clerks only.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
When are they telling you you have to work? Are you running air or ground?

In my area I was told the only way they could force me to work was if I was getting 5 punches for the week. I had a few days after Thanksgiving early in my driving career where I pushed back and didn't have to work. The company screwed themselves by keeping most TCD drivers home Mondays so they could pay them 4 hours at inside rate for the holiday instead of 8 hours at TCD rate. That made me a PT employee for the week and they had to force from the full-time list if they wanted people. I think since I was the bottom they ran one route down to not make full-time guys angry. When I got higher on the TCD list i was always working the full week and had no option but work.

Talk to your BA but know if you burn bridges now you will pay for it in the future. With Saturday delivery coming in the pipeline you better prepare for it or stop driving.

Ya they posted one but not sure who all signed it, and also there a large number of fresh cover drivers that have way less seniority than me. The workload doesn't seem high enough to be able to even get to me

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm probably wrong but if you're a TCD I don't see how you can be forced to run air on Saturday. At the very least all full-time drivers should have the option for that day before it ever gets to a TCD.

Are they paying you air rate or ground rate? Are you getting time and a half if it's your 6th punch? Hub days and driving days should count.

I'm probably wrong but if you're a TCD I don't see how you can be forced to run air on Saturday. At the very least all full-time drivers should have the option for that day before it ever gets to a TCD.

Are they paying you air rate or ground rate? Are you getting time and a half if it's your 6th punch? Hub days and driving days should count.
Not here. Part timers run Saturday air

I'm not the very top but I'm close, a little more under than over me and no its air pay, I make more hourly in preload than Saturday

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
There are so many differences from one area to another. The only way you will get an answer is speaking to your business agent. You need to get advice on the warning letters anyway, I would call them ASAP and get them in the loop.

I was a TCD who never signed any kind of air bid. The times I volunteered to help on Saturdays I was always paid TCD rate.

There were Friday nights when I was inside working the twilight sort and the Saturday air supervisor would find me and beg me to work the next day, but I usually told them no. So, obviously they couldn't force me in my area.

542thruNthru

Where are you? Don't need your actual location just a region. This will help people answer your question better.

I'm in California. We have PT cover drivers here also. They used to be forced to work Saturdays until we had it changed in our rider. I dealt with the exact same thing you are dealing with right now. I was high on seniority but they still threatened me because they didn't wanna use the lower guys. So this is what I did.

I showed up on Saturday with a copy of the Saturday air seniority list. Went around and counted all the driver's and looked to see who was there and who wasn't. On Monday I filed 2 grievances. One for not following seniority the other for harassment.

They are trying to bully you. If you know for a fact that people should be working before you file and keep filing.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
IMG_3330.PNG
Work and grieve

Southern Supplement

Saturday ground is just like any other day now

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
TCD drivers are paid air rate when they work on Saturday.
If a TCD delivers ground everyday of the week he gets ground pay for Saturday here. Same goes for holidays, if he delivers ground every workday of the week, he gets the TCD pay for the holiday. This is probably a local thing though because you won't find that anywhere in the contract or supplement. Edit: southern, 49.7.G
Ya they posted one but not sure who all signed it, and also there a large number of fresh cover drivers that have way less seniority than me. The workload doesn't seem high enough to be able to even get to me
They should force from the bottom, if there are people under you that aren't working, talk to your steward and file if you have to.

This work shall then be offered in seniority order to qualified part-time employees regardless of hours worked. If the scheduling needs still cannot be met, and additional employees are needed, the Employer may force qualified part-time employees in reverse seniority order.
master, 40.k.1
My supervisors are forcing me to come in on Saturdays after I tell them I can't be there they continue to say I have to and are giving me a warning letters when I don't show. What will be the repercussions if I continue not to come on Saturdays?
Termination. Work now, file later. You can't just not show up.

Last edited: