PT hire date vs transfer date

Champ_Here

sheet it missed
Whats up guys.

So I've been with ups PT for almost 8 years. I had an educational transfer to another center and was there for about a year and a half and decided to transfer back to my original center (I understood being endtailed). I was told by hr when returning to just go into work as normal unless told otherwise. So I worked a sort or two and then was told by acting PT sup (he was actually an on road) that we were overstaffed and I was going to be a lay off.

So I miss the next week of work and am called by a coworker that ive known since being hired. He asks me why I wasnt at work due to the fact that a new hire was there working all week. I call my shop steward and explain. He tells me that the new hire was hired 2 weeks before I transferred back (but had not worked until the week of my lay off) and thus he had seniority over me.

I was always told that your date of hire was the first day you work as well as your seniority start date. Am I wrong to think that the new guy shouldnt be ahead of me in seniority?

Champ_Here

sheet it missed
You are wrong. Company seniority and building seniority are two different things.

So sorry.
I understand that. My question is: would that new employees seniority date be the day he was hired or the day he started working? The way I see it is that I came back to my original center and was already working. Then was told I was going to be laid off... then I was told the new guy started working AFTER I already came back and started work.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Is it possible he was put through his orientation class before you transferred back but was being told to call in to see if they needed him, or being sent home?

Champ_Here

sheet it missed
Is it possible he was put through his orientation class before you transferred back but was being told to call in to see if they needed him, or being sent home?

I am assuming thats what happened. However, if HR made a mistake sending me in, whats the rule? What is supposed to be cited in the contract (if there is anything)? Who should have higher seniority?

Champ_Here

sheet it missed
I can tell you without a doubt the facts are: 1. I was back working before the other employee. 2. My shop steward told me that he was hired a week or two BEFORE I transferred back.

So who has seniority?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I understand that. My question is: would that new employees seniority date be the day he was hired or the day he started working? The way I see it is that I came back to my original center and was already working. Then was told I was going to be laid off... then I was told the new guy started working AFTER I already came back and started work.

Honestly? You have to look at your supplement.

His hire date could very well be his seniority date.

Champ_Here

sheet it missed
Honestly? You have to look at your supplement.

His hire date could very well be his seniority date.

Well knowing this message board I actually did check first and couldnt find anything relating to my issue. Then again my reading comprehension is awful. :(

Overpaid Union Thug

Whats up guys.

So I've been with ups PT for almost 8 years. I had an educational transfer to another center and was there for about a year and a half and decided to transfer back to my original center (I understood being endtailed). I was told by hr when returning to just go into work as normal unless told otherwise. So I worked a sort or two and then was told by acting PT sup (he was actually an on road) that we were overstaffed and I was going to be a lay off.

So I miss the next week of work and am called by a coworker that ive known since being hired. He asks me why I wasnt at work due to the fact that a new hire was there working all week. I call my shop steward and explain. He tells me that the new hire was hired 2 weeks before I transferred back (but had not worked until the week of my lay off) and thus he had seniority over me.

I was always told that your date of hire was the first day you work as well as your seniority start date. Am I wrong to think that the new guy shouldnt be ahead of me in seniority?

The new hire has more juice than you. The only thing that might be a factor in your favor is that the new hire didn't have his 30 days in yet for seniority. But I doubt that matters.

Champ_Here

sheet it missed
Well thanks for the bad news guys lol. Ill just keep holding on until I get a FT spot in 5 years and then top rate 4 years after that. So depressing. :'(

Overpaid Union Thug

Well thanks for the bad news guys lol. Ill just keep holding on until I get a FT spot in 5 years and then top rate 4 years after that. So depressing. :'(

I knocked a few years off my wait for full-time when I transferred. But it still sucks having quite a few people ahead of me on the seniority list that have less company seniority than me. I'd be in feeders if I had stayed put but I wanted to work closer to the college I was attending.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Whats up guys.

In the Central, your first day worked is your seniority date, not your hire date.

ManInBrown

I believe his seniority date would be the first day he punches in, and is being paid by the company. Whether it's for orientation or working his job function. It's not hire date.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I believe his seniority date would be the first day he punches in, and is being paid by the company. Whether it's for orientation or working his job function. It's not hire date.
In the Central, orientation and Integrad, or other pre-driving training, does not count.

The seniority date reverts back to the first day worked of 30 days needed to qualify in a 90 day period.