PT Hub Supv

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You would start around 15dollars an hour. If you think UPS is going to be a career, do not go into supervision. Like everyone has stated it is a DEAD END job (for the most part) and the stress put upon really does suck. As a former sup, I think I would have stayed a loader, less money but a lot less stress and job security. Ultimately, it is your call but I would only recommend supervision if you see it as a stepping stone/and or resume builder.

PT supervisors don't start at $15/hour, but rather $11-$12/hour; it'll take PT supervisors more years than hourlies to reach the equivalent of $15/hour. Fun fact: 10-year hourly PTers typically earn more than 10-year PT supervisors. Of course, UPS never intended for there to be 10-year PT houries or supervisors, but is handicap by the CBA in one.

Of course, PT supervisor pay is based on a 27.5 hour work week. Your boss may allow you to arrive later/leave earlier (working as few as 20 hours each week), yielding an equivalent wage of $15/hour. Or your boss may force you to work 40 hours per week (rejecting OT requests), yielding a wage below minimum. Most PT sups will fall in between.

blkmamba

PT supervisors don't start at $15/hour, but rather $11-$12/hour; it'll take PT supervisors more years than hourlies to reach the equivalent of $15/hour. Fun fact: 10-year hourly PTers typically earn more than 10-year PT supervisors. Of course, UPS never intended for there to be 10-year PT houries or supervisors, but is handicap by the CBA in one.

Of course, PT supervisor pay is based on a 27.5 hour work week. Your boss may allow you to arrive later/leave earlier (working as few as 20 hours each week), yielding an equivalent wage of $15/hour. Or your boss may force you to work 40 hours per week (rejecting OT requests), yielding a wage below minimum. Most PT sups will fall in between.

I started at 15.60 an hour as a part-time sup about two years ago.

upschuck

Most part time sups here are doing it for the college tuition reimbursement. Most feel stuck, want to get out, but feel like they need the extra money for school. The couple of PT sups that I got along with have told me, off the record, that they wish they hadn't gone into supervision.

We had a couple FT sups quit this year as well as the DM counting the days till retirement, which is early next year. Management at UPS is not what it used to be few years back. The game has changed. Management trusts nobody under them, both mgnt and hourly. Kind of sad really.

blkmamba

Most part time sups here are doing it for the college tuition reimbursement. Most feel stuck, want to get out, but feel like they need the extra money for school. The couple of PT sups that I got along with have told me, off the record, that they wish they hadn't gone into supervision.

We had a couple FT sups quit this year as well as the DM counting the days till retirement, which is early next year. Management at UPS is not what it used to be few years back. The game has changed. Management trusts nobody under them, both mgnt and hourly. Kind of sad really.

Exactly what this guy said

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I started at 15.60 an hour as a part-time sup about two years ago.
I'm curious how much time you had in when you took the sup. job. It seems it's a trend to push new hires into management here. I know for a fact they're only getting paid $11-12 an hour, they think it's a pretty good raise since they were making $8.50.

blkmamba

I'm curious how much time you had in when you took the sup. job. It seems it's a trend to push new hires into management here. I know for a fact they're only getting paid $11-12 an hour, they think it's a pretty good raise since they were making $8.50.

I had about a year an a half in, regretted the switch but went in know it wasn't going to be a career. I wonder if it is different pay in different areas. Another supervisor promoted with me had four years in and went to the same pay rate. And new sups get a raise after 90 days and then another at the beginning of the year. Within 8 months I was making 17.25 an hour, by the way I was in so-cal.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I had about a year an a half in, regretted the switch but went in know it wasn't going to be a career. I wonder if it is different pay in different areas. Another supervisor promoted with me had four years in and went to the same pay rate. And new sups get a raise after 90 days and then another at the beginning of the year. Within 8 months I was making 17.25 an hour, by the way I was in so-cal.
Interesting. I will say.... I'm in the South so the pay is, and should be, less than the pay in southern California considering the cost of living difference. I also gotta say I've seen a few p/t-Sups move on to pretty good jobs after finishing school. If you've got thick skin, and take advantage of the tuition reimbursement, it's not necessarily a bad choice to go into management. As long as you know ahead of time that P/T Supervisor is the last job you'll ever have with UPS, there's nothing wrong with the decision.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Interesting. I will say.... I'm in the South so the pay is, and should be, less than the pay in southern California considering the cost of living difference. I also gotta say I've seen a few p/t-Sups move on to pretty good jobs after finishing school. If you've got thick skin, and take advantage of the tuition reimbursement, it's not necessarily a bad choice to go into management. As long as you know ahead of time that P/T Supervisor is the last job you'll ever have with UPS, there's nothing wrong with the decision.

Having UPS on your resume can only help you when looking for employment elsewhere as potential employers know that UPS employees are well trained and are motivated to get the job done.

My son is currently pursuing his MBA with a Supply Chain concentration at Clarkson University. After Peak the HR person, my son and I will work together to do what we can to get him hired w/UPS. We know that the level of training he receives will prove to be invaluable when he looks to pursue employment elsewhere.

upschuck

We recently saw a PT sup (several years) get promoted to FT on-car, then soon later was hired as a FT driver with the 6 to 1.

Back in the day, our PT sups that wanted to go FT had to qualify at driving before going into FT supervision. A few of them, refused to go back into mgmt and stayed at driving, then later got fired for different things.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Back in the day, our PT sups that wanted to go FT had to qualify at driving before going into FT supervision. A few of them, refused to go back into mgmt and stayed at driving, then later got fired for different things.
This person I was referring to, was a typical fast-talking and arrogant, controlling, lying type that was perfect for FT operations management. I'm not really sure why he went union, honestly.

Actually, there were two that I know of, in the past two years. One's a FT on-car, one went FT driving. Two people with little, to nearly zero ethics and integrity passed by quite a few more normal, down to earth supervisors that had far more seniority and also who wanted to go FT driving.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I started at 15.60 an hour as a part-time sup about two years ago. ... I wonder if it is different pay in different areas. Another supervisor promoted with me had four years in and went to the same pay rate. And new sups get a raise after 90 days and then another at the beginning of the year. Within 8 months I was making 17.25 an hour, by the way I was in so-cal.

Things may be different in SoCal, but the national trend is to base PT sup pay off incumbent hourly pay; as most new PT sups have been with the company for about a year or two, they will start at the equivalent of $11-$12. Persons who've been with the company longer, as well as persons with previous managerial experience, will earn more. Offers can also vary among individuals: when I was offered a PT supervisor job more than 10 years ago, I was given a base salary offer that would've equated into about $11, which was a nominal increase (although, at the time, bonuses were common). Meanwhile, an 18-year-old African American employee who had just started & had no previous work experience was quoted a salary that was somewhat higher, hence my reasoning in rejecting the position.

Even in SoCal today, I find 17.25 to be baffling, as UPS intentionally low-balls PT sup pay (instead using tuition reimbursement as the pot sweetener) to discourage career employees. We have several 10-year PT sups who barely earn that much, and in fact earned more in the mid-2000s when bonuses were commonplace. The fact that hourlies with similar seniority as themselves earn more than they do (working 20 hours as opposed to 27.5, and that does not factor in insurance) has been a sore spot here for awhile.

barnyard

KTM rider
Most of the FT supes that have been promoted in the last several years have been PT supes. For the most part, FT drivers are not interested in supervision and PT supes see it as their only way to FT work. We have had 2 PT supes promoted to FT supe and we have another working as a driver this peak so that she is qualified for a FT promotion.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We had one long time PT sup do that last year....needed to qualify at driving to get a FT sup position but at some point during his 30 days, he mentioned he wanted to stay driving. They kicked him back to preload after 29 days...

blkmamba

Things may be different in SoCal, but the national trend is to base PT sup pay off incumbent hourly pay; as most new PT sups have been with the company for about a year or two, they will start at the equivalent of $11-$12. Persons who've been with the company longer, as well as persons with previous managerial experience, will earn more. Offers can also vary among individuals: when I was offered a PT supervisor job more than 10 years ago, I was given a base salary offer that would've equated into about $11, which was a nominal increase (although, at the time, bonuses were common). Meanwhile, an 18-year-old African American employee who had just started & had no previous work experience was quoted a salary that was somewhat higher, hence my reasoning in rejecting the position.

Even in SoCal today, I find 17.25 to be baffling, as UPS intentionally low-balls PT sup pay (instead using tuition reimbursement as the pot sweetener) to discourage career employees. We have several 10-year PT sups who barely earn that much, and in fact earned more in the mid-2000s when bonuses were commonplace. The fact that hourlies with similar seniority as themselves earn more than they do (working 20 hours as opposed to 27.5, and that does not factor in insurance) has been a sore spot here for awhile.

Yes, when you factor in the cost of benefits my weekly check averaged about 125.00 more than when I was in the Union. Yet, I hated every aspect of supervision, it really did show me that a persons true character shines through with how they treat those below them.

jaker

trolling
Most of the FT supes that have been promoted in the last several years have been PT supes. For the most part, FT drivers are not interested in supervision and PT supes see it as their only way to FT work. We have had 2 PT supes promoted to FT supe and we have another working as a driver this peak so that she is qualified for a FT promotion.
Ever makes you wonder what happen to drivers doing this , I remember when all my on roads where drivers before

now I don't think they can even get the truck out the building and what makes its even more funny is hearing them giving advice to training drivers