PT package handler, am I in the union?

Legitimyze

I honestly dont know anything about Unions whatsoever. I remember reading around that UPS is unionized. I have been at UPS as a PT package handler for about 3 weeks. So am I automatically in the union? I was told you pay fees for being a part of it. Is there something I can look for on my paycheck to make sure?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You are not in the union yet. You become eligible after a certain number of working days.

Ask who the shop steward is. They can fill you in.

Art_Norm

Like Wally said above, you need to find out who the steward is. You're not automatically apart of the union after a certain amount of days. You have to fill out a form, the steward will provide it, takes 5 minutes. I just joined last week.

aiian

Just look for the driver carrying a stack of grievances in the AM.

Tell him/her you would like to have the privilege of adding to his stack one day.

He'll have you signed up before you can finish your sentence.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I am sure that 3 weeks is no where close to 30 working days, not even calender days. With this new contract, a lot of things changed, I don't know when anyone makes book again.

Legitimyze

I am sure that 3 weeks is no where close to 30 working days, not even calender days. With this new contract, a lot of things changed, I don't know when anyone makes book again.

Yeah 3 weeks is not 30 working days, thats not what I was getting at. My question has pretty much been answered. I just didnt know if I was in the Union starting day 1, which I am not.

Legitimyze

Save your money and join if you go FT.

Resident know-it-all.

You seem to be one of the most straight forward people Ive came across on here.

Is there really any difference if I decide to not join the union, besides having a more secure job? That is the only real argument I have seen so far. If you are not in the union you can easily get fired apparently, so will they fire me if I make a minor error (I am sure the answer depends, but just generally speaking).

Other than that, its exactly the same either way?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Keep your noise clean and there will be absolutely no difference whether you join the union or not

If and when you become FT you should definitely sign up.

Resident know-it-all.

Ouch

Join the union as a part timer or you may or may not see a driving position. Doesn't matter how much you do for this company, they will try you. Even if they send you home early to cut hours and work a sup, you should file on it and make your money. Part timers a lot of times use the union more than some full timers. The union will back you on discipline and anything ups throws at you. You need to be part of the brotherhood. Talk to your steward. You may even decide to become a steward to represent your fellow employees. The union also negotiates your Healthcare and your retirement package. Even though the contract in some parts was screwed up with the Healthcare and retirement changes their is always next time to get those changed. You will come closer to using the union than not. Have a conversation with your steward and see what he can add as far as pros and cons. I can tell you from experience that the union is very helpful to both part time and full time.

By The Book

I honestly dont know anything about Unions whatsoever. I remember reading around that UPS is unionized. I have been at UPS as a PT package handler for about 3 weeks. So am I automatically in the union? I was told you pay fees for being a part of it. Is there something I can look for on my paycheck to make sure?
If you make ups your career I say join when you can which is usually after you reach seniority. If you are in a skilled position you will/should get the skilled pay. Some centers pay all preloaders the skilled rate so they can move them as needed., unless they never move out of an unskilled position. If your a union member you can vote on all things union. Contracts, union leadership, if not a member no voting on your future with ups. You will see less money on one of you paychecks per month which will show a union dues deduction. If you don't join you will still pay for the representation that your local union provides you for all of the negotiated language and pay/benefits in the contract.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Keep your noise clean and there will be absolutely no difference whether you join the union or not

If and when you become FT you should definitely sign up.

Resident know-it-all.
I always keep my "noise" clean!
2014-08-08-04-10-10-1404174514.jpeg