PT package handler, am I in the union?

Nimnim

The Nim
We're assuming you're in a right to work state, which means union membership isn't mandatory in a union shop, and as such you get to choose when you join the union.

Upstate is good on the advice to a certain extent, as a PTer in the first couple years if you keep your nose clean it's not a bad idea to not join. Either you find something else you want to do or maybe go into supervision, but staying for the long term it's good to join.

I won't fault any pter for not joining for a couple years until they get a higher wage, even with the new $10 starting those dues hurt for the new people. Certainly though after you feel comfortable with your wages or get a chance to go FT join, though even if you don't join the union is obligated to defend and submit the grievances you have.

Personally I didn't join until I had a little over a year in, but when I asked for my first grievance form I also asked for a union application.

Legitimyze

If I decide to hold off on joining the union, does seniority still apply when a driver position opens up? Or does that only count for union members?

Nimnim

The Nim
Company seniority, when you joined the union doesn't matter for bidding positions.

Though if going for driving it's a really good idea to be in the union. pt has some crap with it that you can handle without the union, but once you try going ft the union is much more likely to be of use.