Pt preload and overtime during peak

dudebro

Yea but we already work more than 8hours on preload....so all helper hours afterwards are OT hours (at a different "helper"pay rate however)
If the preload is over 8 and you're going on to a second shift, that's as it should be. And during peak, you're right - many preloads will run 7-8 hours.

km3

Not wrong where I work. I do it every week!! Every hub is different.

Yep, every local seems to have a different practice. I'm lucky enough to be in one of the good ones. Every minute past 5 hours is OT, regardless of whether you work one shift or multiple shifts (in contrast to what you seem to be saying about your location). 6th punch is all OT, and 7th punch is all double time. No going back to straight time after reaching 8 hours or other nonsense like that.

The only weird thing about where I am is how inside work and helping seem to be divided into completely different classifications. The two can't be added together to get OT where I am. Theoretically, if you worked exactly 5 hours on preload (or another shift), and exactly 5 hours as a helper, you wouldn't get any OT pay even though you worked 10 hours (more than 5 and 8). But if you worked 8.5 hours as a helper, and 5 hours preload, or if you worked 5.5 hours preload and 8 hours helping, you'd still get 0.5 hours worth of OT pay at 1.5x the applicable rate.

The fact that you can work up to 13 hours without getting OT is pretty dumb, but it can easily be avoided by staying inside the building instead of doing an inside+helper combo.

I'm not sure about double shifts, it's been awhile since I've done that, but on a single shift, it's 1.5 over 5 hours per day, and then 1.5 for over 25 hours in the week, just in the building( not air driving or anything). A lot of times I'm over 23 hours before Friday, so before break time I'm in overtime. But most of my check goes into 401k. I'll be thankful when I'm 80, but for now if rather not spend all that time at UPS!