Another possible n00b

b1gj1m304

Hey everyone, I just had my interview for a part time package handler position on this past Friday. The interview lasted all of 10-15 minutes. The interviewer asked a few questions, made a copy of my drivers license and social security card. Said they would do a background check and call me in a few days. I'm a former state trooper with over 20 years of police service. I also currently work a full time job Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm. The only shifts available are the late night and over night shifts. At this point I haven't figured out when I'm going to get any sleep but after 20 years as a trooper, I'm pretty used to little sleep.

I realize this is only a part time position and more than likely seasonal and will end after January. However, if I do a good job I'm hoping to stay on as long as possible. I've read there is a considerable amount of turnover for this position.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself.

b1gj1m304

Thanks for the welcome and informational links.

Wanting a part time job is just something to do. I have excellent health insurance and benefits with my full time employment.

b1gj1m304

That's part of it. I don't want to seem greedy, or that I'm taking a job away from another person. My current full time job may have great benefits like, health, dental, vision and prescription insurance and I accrue 16 hours of sick leave and 16 hours of vacation leave each month, but the salary is extremely low. With my current income I'm doing good but like many people I have kids. One in grad school which is not cheap.

b1gj1m304

The one in grad school should be paying their own way.

That's a matter of opinion and you've expressed yours.

Now let me clarify some things. First, I previously mentioned that I am a 20 year police officer. When I first became a police officer, it was with a small city police agency. After three years I changed jobs and went to work as a deputy sheriff for an additional three years. After those six years I was employed by the state police where I worked for 14 years. All three departments had their own retirement system. After 14 years as a trooper I resigned to accept a position in corporate security. Unfortunately the company sold it's assets to another company who after a year began eliminating positions like mine. When I first began as a police officer I was 20 years old. I'm now only 46 years old
and at this age I don't qualify for my retirement until age 55. My wife also worked for a large company that after a new CEO and board members also reduced it's workforce. We're both employed full time. The desire for a part time job for me is something to help with extra expenses. My son in grad school also works part time.

Anyway, just wanted to clear up any confusion that I may have caused by my previous comments.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why is this your business??

It's not but if you are receiving a trooper pension, working a FT job and looking for a PT gig here that tells me that either you are bored or, and this is most likely, you are living beyond your means.

I had no problem paying my share when my kids went for their 4 year degrees.

They both knew upfront that anything beyond that was on their dime. I am due to retire on 7/1/2018 and my plan is to be debt free when I do. Paying for grad school could have meant that I would have had to work beyond that date and that is simply not an option for me.

My son got his MBA from Clarkson. His total student loan debt is $73K, $23K of which was from his undergrad years. Yeah, it sucks to start his adult life with that burden, but it is what it is. The $23K should have been much lower but he screwed around his freshman year to the point where he as asked not to return for his sophomore year. At that point Mommy and Daddy cut off the checkbook and he completed his 2 and 4 year degrees all on his own.

It's called personal responsibility.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It's not but if you are receiving a trooper pension, working a FT job and looking for a PT gig here that tells me that either you are bored or, and this is most likely, you are living beyond your means.

I had no problem paying my share when my kids went for their 4 year degrees.

They both knew upfront that anything beyond that was on their dime.

It's called personal responsibility.

Dave, you better work on your reading skills.

The OP stated he is 46 and doesn't qualify for his pension for nine more years.

Shouldn't you be packing or something?