Pt sup gave employees wrong start time, sort mngr refuses to pay from instructed start time

Buru

friend.T. sup was on vacation... P.T. sup instructed employees start time was 45 minutes before actual start time. Sort manager instructed p.t. sups not to pay employees from instructed start time.. When asked by me a steward he said he would adjust the times, but never did.. Aside from grievancing.. Any one i should call to report this underhanded manager

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The PT sup was clearly not authorized to make that call; however, since he did within the time limits laid out in the contract and all of the employees showed up at the new time, the company is obligated to pay them from the adjusted start time.

File the grievance.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
The incorrect start times; were they written incorrectly or did the part time sup just verbally give them? I honestly think it will come down to this!

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
Doesn't matter they were instructed by a management person as to what start time was. The company is obligated to pay them. File the grievance should be an easy win.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The PT sup was clearly not authorized to make that call; however, since he did within the time limits laid out in the contract and all of the employees showed up at the new time, the company is obligated to pay them from the adjusted start time.

File the grievance.
Grieve it.

You will win.
Doesn't matter they were instructed by a management person as to what start time was. The company is obligated to pay them. File the grievance should be an easy win.
What contractual language are you basing this grievance on?

I don't think that the OP has given us nearly enough information to deduce that a grievance would be valid.

Last edited:

clean hairy

Did anyone forget, and show up past the start time the PT Sup stated?
Were they marked as late that day?
If so, that would be good to add in the grievance.
In fact, Under Settlement Requested, I would end it with "Management to discontinue the blatant and dishonest act of shorting our time worked and paid for"

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
What contractual language are you basing this grievance on?

I don't think that the OP has given us nearly enough information to deduce that a grievance would be valid.
Article 17 paid for time. Look it up it is clearly stated that employees will be paid from the time that they are told to report for work until they punch out. I would call that a slam dunk grievance.
ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer. Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively released from duty. All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the Employer.
The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.

5habits100

friend.T. sup was on vacation... P.T. sup instructed employees start time was 45 minutes before actual start time. Sort manager instructed p.t. sups not to pay employees from instructed start time.. When asked by me a steward he said he would adjust the times, but never did.. Aside from grievancing.. Any one i should call to report this underhanded manager
It's real simple. Get statements from all of the employees who were told by the supervisor to come in early. And it will be paid. Also, you may be entitled to penalty pay.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
^ Group grievance, get signatures, exact dates and times which start times were announced. Slam dunk assuming your work group stands together.

Nike

File the grievance, not necessarily for the money but so that they don't do this crap to yall again

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

File for the money. They worked they should get paid. And in the Central if they work prior to their scheduled start time they get time and one half.

They most definitely should file for the money---perhaps they could pool it and throw themselves a pizza party.

The second part of your post would not apply as they were not asked to start prior to their scheduled start time----the start time had been changed.

5habits100

They most definitely should file for the money---perhaps they could pool it and throw themselves a pizza party.

The second part of your post would not apply as they were not asked to start prior to their scheduled start time----the start time had been changed.
In the Central it is different. If they started prior to their posted start time they are owed time and one half. That is how it works here.