Pt sup gave employees wrong start time, sort mngr refuses to pay from instructed start time

5habits100

Is reading not one of your strong points?

THE START TIME WAS CHANGED.
Back at you. It doesn't matter what they changed it to. If the started them prior to their POSTED start time on the Friday before they punched out. They owe them TIME AND ONE HALF.

Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you make stupid comments. But I shouldn't be surprised with that stupid face you are making in your picture.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Back at you. It doesn't matter what they changed it to. If the started them prior to their POSTED start time on the Friday before they punched out. They owe them TIME AND ONE HALF.

Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you make stupid comments. But I shouldn't be surprised with that stupid face you are making in your picture.

The PT sup changed the start time both verbally and in writing.

TTKU

BTW, that's my son freezing his ass off at a Pat's game, not me.

5habits100

The PT sup changed the start time both verbally and in writing.

TTKU

BTW, that's my son freezing his ass off at a Pat's game, not me.
Reading along with life must be one of your many lacking qualities. None of that matters in the Central Region.
Keep reading keep writing. It doesn't change the language.
I don't care who it is with the stupid face in the picture. If you want to make stupid comments to me you are getting them back.
Central language is obviously better than yours.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
All I was trying to point out (again) is that the OP failed to tell us all of the facts.
The longer I do what I do, the more I become aware that people "shop" for the answers they are looking for, without giving all of the necessary variables.

1. What region and Local?
2. Was everybody told this start time, or a select few?
3. Was it done in seniority order?
4. Were the start times posted prior?
5. Is this PT supervisor a stand up guy who will admit to this word of mouth directive, or were there witnesses?

Many here are quick to give advice without all of the facts.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Reading along with life must be one of your many lacking qualities. None of that matters in the Central Region.
I don't care who it is with the stupid face in the picture. If you want to make stupid comments to me you are getting them back.
Did I miss where the OP said they were in the Central Region?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can't find where the OP said they were in the Central Region?
Pretty sure that's his son Corky.

Last edited:

10 point

IMG_20160728_223557.jpg

5habits100

If the employees came in and worked they should get paid. This case is an easy win. It doesn't matter what Region.
Oh and by the way I don't care who the person is in the picture don't attack me and I won't respond the way I do.

dudebro

The PT sup is management, so he/she IS authorized to make that call, sounds like it was a call the manager didn't agree with. Either way, employees were instructed to come to work, they came to work, they get paid.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
friend.T. sup was on vacation... P.T. sup instructed employees start time was 45 minutes before actual start time. Sort manager instructed p.t. sups not to pay employees from instructed start time.. When asked by me a steward he said he would adjust the times, but never did.. Aside from grievancing.. Any one i should call to report this underhanded manager
You worked as directed. If you came in at the time you were told, ready to work, they have to pay you ...even if there was no actual work for you to do (because of the incorrect start time). Grieve it! If they intentionally changed your time punches, call the 800# and file a complaint.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You worked as directed. If you came in at the time you were told, ready to work, they have to pay you ...even if there was no actual work for you to do (because of the incorrect start time). Grieve it! If they intentionally changed your time punches, call the 800# and file a complaint.

You cannot file a complaint against a member of your management team through the 1-800#.

Hanny9

Article 17 paid for time. Look it up it is clearly stated that employees will be paid from the time that they are told to report for work until they punch out. I would call that a slam dunk grievance.
ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer. Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively released from duty. All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the Employer.
The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.

So here's my question then. According to this, you get paid from the time that you clock in or at your told start time. At my center, (PT preloader, PT cover driver) they delay the time for each person down the belt. EX...start of the belt gets paid from say 4:45 if that is the start time. I have 2 people before me and 2 people after me. I don't get paid until 10 minutes after the start time, yet I'm expected to be there at 4:45. The 2 people after me start 15 minutes later...yet I am expected to pull their stuff until they get there. Plus I always seem to have to pull skids out of one of the straight trucks down there. That along with all of the other tasks they expect of us before the belt starts. Their reasoning, from what I understand is, it takes 10 minutes or 15 minutes for example for the freight to get to me or the two people after me and they don't want to pay us to stand around. But we always have freight on our belt right away, there is no delay. And it takes about 2 minutes to travel down the belt to me.

Should I start 10 minutes later? Grieve it to get paid a the assigned start time? Suck it up?

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
If your start time is staggered 10 minutes later you are not required to report until 455 on your example. Don't punch in and be on the belt until then if this causes problems so be it maybe they will wise up and change your start time in the future. Never ever work off the clock.