PT Supervisor Payscale - historically

HR did a study of comparable positions in the Transportation industry.
UPS paid the highest in the industry back when.
UPS's goal is to be at industry average.
Only the driver's stand above UPS's efforts to make UPS an average corporation.
I don't know if you did it on purpose or not, but, linguistically, you highlighted the trajectory of the company's mentality.

Judging by your follow up post, it does look like you intended it.

I can't say I disagree re: company direction. Upper management likes to play the game of achieving results by constantly changing direction. It works to mow down costs for 'shareholder value', but it doesn't work for preservation and growth of the interior structure of a company.

dudebro

Title really explains what I'm looking for, but I'll explain my reason:

To keep it simple, I've heard that PT Sups used to be compensated between 2500-3500/month as compared to now they are compensated between 1800-2000/month.

Is that true, and if so, what gives?

Take this for what it's worth - it's one person's experience.

In 1988, in a large major hub in NJ, PT supervisors started at $1400 per month. Raises were at the discretion of your manager or division manager and it wasn't uncommon for a merit increase of $200 / month after 6 months, if you were well liked. My FT hub sup at that time made about 3600 a month + MIP. PT sup was a salaried job then, theoretically it was based on "5" hours but in a large hub many PT sups worked 7-8. All management was paid on the 15th and 30th of the month.

You couldn't complain to FT mgmt about hours, because to hear them tell it, they worked 14-16 per day, so 7-8 sounded like part time to them. Rumor had it that the MAX of the PT supervisor pay scale was $2625 a month then, but you had to have been there for years to get that. Rent on a nearby apt was 550 a month, so you could get a roommate and afford a car even, on a PT salary.

New PT sups at the same hub in 1998 were starting at $1375 a month. Just like the hourly wage, nothing had changed over those 10 years.

I don't know what the rate is for a new PT sup is now, I'm too far removed, but if you put the inflation calculator to the $1600 per month in 1989, it comes to $3105 a month today. Of course, PT sups now are paid on an hourly basis, with 5.5 per day and 27.5 per week guaranteed. Hours between 27.5 and 40 are paid at a 10% premium, and hours over 40 are paid at time and a half.

Jim Casey believed you paid people as much as you possibly could, to get the best people. As far as I can tell, UPS still pays its people well above the industry standard. Having said that, there's a general sense that now that UPS is public, there has been Wall St. pressure to reduce the size of the pay package to industry average, as Monkey said above me.

Take this for what it's worth - it's one person's experience.

In 1988, in a large major hub in NJ, PT supervisors started at $1400 per month. Raises were at the discretion of your manager or division manager and it wasn't uncommon for a merit increase of $200 / month after 6 months, if you were well liked. My FT hub sup at that time made about 3600 a month + MIP. PT sup was a salaried job then, theoretically it was based on "5" hours but in a large hub many PT sups worked 7-8. All management was paid on the 15th and 30th of the month.

You couldn't complain to FT mgmt about hours, because to hear them tell it, they worked 14-16 per day, so 7-8 sounded like part time to them. Rumor had it that the MAX of the PT supervisor pay scale was $2625 a month then, but you had to have been there for years to get that. Rent on a nearby apt was 550 a month, so you could get a roommate and afford a car even, on a PT salary.

New PT sups at the same hub in 1998 were starting at $1375 a month. Just like the hourly wage, nothing had changed over those 10 years.

I don't know what the rate is for a new PT sup is now, I'm too far removed, but if you put the inflation calculator to the $1600 per month in 1989, it comes to $3105 a month today. Of course, PT sups now are paid on an hourly basis, with 5.5 per day and 27.5 per week guaranteed. Hours between 27.5 and 40 are paid at a 10% premium, and hours over 40 are paid at time and a half.

Jim Casey believed you paid people as much as you possibly could, to get the best people. As far as I can tell, UPS still pays its people well above the industry standard. Having said that, there's a general sense that now that UPS is public, there has been Wall St. pressure to reduce the size of the pay package to industry average, as Monkey said above me.
Since when, or rather, when did that stop?

I'm gonna give them a raise ultimatum/two-weeks notice on Monday. I worked in CHSP and reduced our DART frequency by more than 10. I've reduced our production hours used in the unload between 10 to 15 per day. At this point, my class schedule would allow me to work an 8-5, and I've got a standing offer from someone that doubles my earnings. They can either stump up and put the money in my hand, or I'll be leaving.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm gonna give them a raise ultimatum/two-weeks notice on Monday. I worked in CHSP and reduced our DART frequency by more than 10. I've reduced our production hours used in the unload between 10 to 15 per day. At this point, my class schedule would allow me to work an 8-5, and I've got a standing offer from someone that doubles my earnings. They can either stump up and put the money in my hand, or I'll be leaving.
See ya.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

You'll be leaving.
Have a good life.

dudebro

The posts above mine are accurate, if not informative.

The old pay scale left room for favoritism. Did I get a 200/month raise because I was good, or because my manager liked me? I like to think the former, but who knows? There was little corporate wide control. The concept then was, you pushed decisions as close to the front line as you could.

IMHO, a number of things changed that:

1) class action suit by PT sups (rumored to have started in CA) about "PT" sups working 7-8 hours per day. Company resolution was to basically make PT sups hourly employees.

2) Going public in 1999. Wall St. now has a say in the pay packages, and I've personally heard people in positions that would know, say that Wall St. doesn't want to see our management walking around with FU money anymore.

You don't have the same corporate control when your CMs are multi-millionaires by the time they reach their 50s.

3) The massive growth UPS experienced from 1975 (when they could finally deliver to all 48 states) and 1990 or so when the Gulf War recession changed things, was fully realized. UPS grew like Apple from '75-'89. After that, we're more like Apple now, after everyone already has an iThing.

Now, Corporate HR controls raises. They happen in April, like it or not. You can give a merit increase after 6 months, maybe, but that's it. And the manager now, gets a 2.5-3% raise to spread over the entire group, and then when your QPR score is entered, the raise appears based on where you are in the payscale and your score - in GRAY (he can't change it without an Act of Congress), and that's your raise. Your management team couldn't pay you more if they wanted to. The system is designed to ensure that no lawyer can pull it apart and say it's racist / sexist / homophobic / xenophobic / etc.

Returntosender

Go work for Amazon and in the interview lead with what you just said.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Pt sups here when I first started got paid once a month on the 25th,I always wondered how they could survive getting paid once a month on so little.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, must have gotten cut off. I am a guardsman for the Air National Guard. I was curious if anyone knew if the 27.5 hours guarantee was only if you show up every day that week or if I would be supposed still to get it on weeks that I have to take a day off for drill

You also receive personal and sick days so, yes, you would receive your 27.5 when you go play soldier boy.