PT Sups and Degrees

j13501

Anyways, I guess I'm just wondering where the "PT sup is a dead end career" mentality came from.
This "mentality" comes from an indifference to part time supervisors by some d/m and h/r managers across the country.
I have seen districts with a good deal of opportunity for p/t sups. I worked in a hub, where the d/m, all the sort managers and all the friend/t sups, had all been part time hub sups at the beginning of their careers.
I have also worked in places where the d/m didn't appear to value p/t sups, and didn't create an environment to allow them to grow as management people.

My suggestion is to work hard on getting your degree and do a good job as a p/t sups at UPS. Watch to see if your operation has a tendency to reward p/t sups for good results by giving them an opportunity for promotion.
If it does, then make it known you'd like to be considered for promotion when you get your degree. See if your supervisor and manager feel you have a chance (remember, your competing with a lot of other p/t sups who also want full time).

If your operation doesn't typically promote p/t sups, then get you degree and move on to where your UPS experience will help get you a full time career. Good luck!

Last edited:
What does a PT sup's pay max at? I would guess $25.00/hr. Not bad for 5.5 hours a day and most times out in 4 to 5 hours. My building has many career PT sups.
When I was a PT sup, I made $27.00+change per hour. Of course I came from PT air driving before out of a gateway so my starting position was higher than most PT sups.

I left UPS about 1.5 years ago and my time as a sup was key to my resume and work experience. Employers love seeing UPS on your resume as it indicates you know how to work hard and work fast. PT Sup is a dead end job if you want to stay at UPS, just look at the PT sup to FT sup ratio, that's a lot of competition for when a FT job opens up. Use your time as a sup to get your degree, build a resume, and then find a job at another company.