PT Union Initiation Fee Paid During First 30

jrh

So if a PTer has 29 dollars or whatever the amount is taken from his paycheck every week for a few weeks, but is then fired, will that money be forfeit even though he was never even eligible for union protection? If you ask me union dues and even the initiation fee shouldn't be relevant until after the probationary period. I know technically PTers are covered by the contract and subject to some of the same protections, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

I also know every building has different payment procedures, so I'm curious to know what you guys have to say about initiation fees and when they're paid.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just something I've been wondering about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Helpers and other seasonal hires should not pay initiation fees or dues.

No one should have to pay during their probation period.

Initiation fees are way too high for what little you get in return.

jrh

I'm a permanent hire, just part-time. That's why I don't mind having the initiation fee taken out of my paycheck right now, but if they start drawing dues AND initiation fees out I'm going to have to talk to somebody; or, I guess I could just pay off the initiation fee after my probationary period and then simply pay dues from then on.

Anyway thanks for your input

UPSGUY72

I'm a permanent hire, just part-time. That's why I don't mind having the initiation fee taken out of my paycheck right now, but if they start drawing dues AND initiation fees out I'm going to have to talk to somebody; or, I guess I could just pay off the initiation fee after my probationary period and then simply pay dues from then on.

Anyway thanks for your input

Dues are only taken out once a month and are usually around 2.5 times your hourly rate. It's been a while but when I started I believe that they took initiations fees out every week except the week they took dues out of your pay check.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Do you think,without the union. Part-timers would get healthcare and a pension?
Or make the kind of money we make with contractual raises? Without the union (and I mean this in a logical business sense, not a racist way)...illegal immigrants would be preloaders...because they'd work for 6 bucks an hour and no bathroom breaks!

The vast majority of PTers don't stick around long enough to get vested, let alone collect their pension, and would prefer the extra money in their check rather than health benefits.
For many of them,Its a second job. the benefits and pension is a big plus for them.

On the other hand,its a big savings for UPS.
The ones that work only a year or two,UPS keeps that cash. Plus UPS doesnt have to pay the matching S.S and Medicare money on that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The vast majority of PTers don't stick around long enough to get vested, let alone collect their pension, and would prefer the extra money in their check rather than health benefits.

The incentive is there. If they choose not to take advantage of it, that's on them.

What they prefer, doesn't factor in to the equation. If they voted.... it would.

-Bug-

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

So because of what you think would be better for some part timers we should give up the best benefits for part timers in the industry?

Starting rate has been way too little for a long time, I will agree, but should we really give up one benefit to gain another at an employer that makes billions in profits every year?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So because of what you think would be better for some part timers we should give up the best benefits for part timers in the industry?

Starting rate has been way too little for a long time, I will agree, but should we really give up one benefit to gain another at an employer that makes billions in profits every year?

I am saying that there should be the option to opt out of coverage in lieu of extra pay.

brostalss

Do you think,without the union. Part-timers would get healthcare and a pension?

I would say most likely no.

I am glad that in order to be vested you have to put in the time. When I hired it was six months. UPS saw too many people get hired and their GF was 2 months pregnant. Wait six months now you have insurance. Have the baby and then good bye UPS.

HBGPreloader

If a union employee doesn't make the cut, he can request a refund of the dues and initiation fee that he paid.

IMHO, it's just another way for the union to make money because I sincerely doubt most that don't make it don't request a refund.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Do not forget the union is a business . At $250.00 a pop initiation fees they do not really care if you leave after some time . Another $250 for another new member. Do not get me wrong I stayed only paid $125.00 initiation 17 years ago and I am pro teamster and will enjoy the extra dollars coming to me in the PT pension not to mention the great benefits along the way. I talked to hall face to face one on one some years back about part timers and their concerns and came away from the conversation knowing we are low on the totem pole.

HBGPreloader

Do not forget the union is a business . At $250.00 a pop initiation fees they do not really care if you leave after some time . Another $250 for another new member. Do not get me wrong I stayed only paid $125.00 initiation 17 years ago and I am pro teamster and will enjoy the extra dollars coming to me in the PT pension not to mention the great benefits along the way. I talked to hall face to face one on one some years back about part timers and their concerns and came away from the conversation knowing we are low on the totem pole.

If the part-timers started getting involved with the union and actually voted, they would not be "low on the totem pole" for very long.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
My building has 1200+ full and part time union employees and the latest most important thing of their working career at present the contract vote got less than a 350 vote turnout .Pathetic in a word.
You can't even get the pt'ers to stay for their 3 and 1/2 let alone get involved in the union.

jrh

My building has 1200+ full and part time union employees and the latest most important thing of their working career at present the contract vote got less than a 350 vote turnout .Pathetic in a word.
You can't even get the pt'ers to stay for their 3 and 1/2 let alone get involved in the union.
What happens at 3 + 1/2 ?