PT Weekly Minimum Hours Question

MassWineGuy

I was scheduled to go to driver training next week, but it got cancelled. I've already done all the computer-based training so there's not much for me to do at the station except help with the sorts, which is fine with me.

If I were to just work the evening sort for about two hours each day, would the minimum 17.5 hours just show up on my next check? Or do I need to do something for that to happen? I realize that if they say they also need me for the AM sort and I decline, then I don't get the minimum. At least so I've been told.

Thanks very much.

dezguy

No, it is up to you to make sure you get your guaranteed 17.5. If you know you're going to be under that for the week, you need to tell management to find you work to make up the hours you're short before you're done for the week.

MassWineGuy

Ok, Thank you. So it's not like at UPS where if you show up and there's no work, you get paid for a certain number of minimum hours.

dezguy

Ok, Thank you. So it's not like at UPS where if you show up and there's no work, you get paid for a certain number of minimum hours.

I believe that depends on your local employment laws since we don't have a contract to stipulate you must be paid if you show up and are sent home.

Where I am, if you show up and there is no work, you do get paid 2 hours because of the labour law but I'm not 100% if that is everywhere.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If you volunteer to go home or if they ask you if you want to go home and you agree, it WILL cancel your minimum. Tell them no, that you want to work your minimum hours.

I trained a new guy once and he rode with me every night for six weeks, until they had an opening for him at class.

MassWineGuy

Ok. I'm scheduled to go in on Tuesday (they said take Monday off) for pm sort. That's about two hours. I don't want to do a split of both am and pm sorts. I could ask if I can ride with a pm courier to help do pick ups.

MassWineGuy

Thanks, UPSer. I'd love to if I could legally work in Europe, which is where they mostly are now.

I'm rescheduled for driver training in a couple of weeks. The one next week that I was supposed to attend is being taught by an outside company that specializes in driver training. I went to their Web site and they had something like Five Tips for Better Driving (or something like that). It was nearly word for word the five points UPS teaches. Aim high, get the big picture, make sure they see you, smoke pot and swerve all over the place, etc.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks, UPSer. I'd love to if I could legally work in Europe, which is where they mostly are now.

I'm rescheduled for driver training in a couple of weeks. The one next week that I was supposed to attend is being taught by an outside company that specializes in driver training. I went to their Web site and they had something like Five Tips for Better Driving (or something like that). It was nearly word for word the five points UPS teaches. Aim high, get the big picture, make sure they see you, smoke pot and swerve all over the place, etc.

You clearly did not get the sarcasm that I tried to convey in my post. You washed out at UPS and appear destined to do the same over at Express hence my suggestion to try DHL.

MassWineGuy

No, I got it. I just wanted to have you spell it out so everyone could see what a nice guy you are, as usual.

I don't think I washed out at UPS, since they did train me, see how I did and then hire me on for peak. I didn't get kept on past peak, nor did most seasonals I knew. And if UPS did reject me, wow, even if they didn't take me back because of something I did or didn't do, sometimes a company and a person just don't match, synch, whatever.

I can tell that you're the kind of person who would give up after a single road block. I'm more optimistic and positive, especially when I read your drivel. It's also plain to see from your posts that you're not the kind of person who'd ever have any difficulty getting along with anyone at any company. [Hint: sarcasm]

You know as well as I do that if it weren't for the Teamsters contract, very few drivers would stay with UPS, even if they made good money. Good for those who can tough it out and endure the incredible amount of b.s. they shovel upon you daily.

So far in my brief time there, managers and others at FedEx have been much better to work with than at some other large package delivery companies.

Sorry to cut this short, I've got to go jump out of my basement window.

ILuvPandas

I'm former DHL they are hiring in the states but mostly casuals I see my former co-workers on the road all the time they still have a job due to their seniority & they are making about 10 more dollars an than me at Express

Sent using BrownCafe App